Lockable center console mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've pilfered and plundered many things from this community and finally have something that is somewhat original that I can offer up.

I wanted a fancy CruiserCrap console but it's too wide for the 70 series:
Security Console

So instead I bought this:
Series II Security Console

And did this (to make room for the e-brake handle):
DSC02655.JPG
DSC02656.JPG
DSC02657.JPG

The piece I cut out fits perfectly inside:
DSC02658.JPG

Just needed to bend up some sheet metal to fill the gap:
DSC02654.JPG

DSC02659.JPG

And I can't weld so rivets will do:
DSC02660.JPG

Used left over sheet to allow mounting of cup holder:
IMG_0312.JPG

And here's the mounting bracket I had to make to allow the console to be bolted to the floor where the original console was:
IMG_0313.JPG

All mounted up and ready to secure my valuables and morning coffee:
DSC02780.JPG
DSC02781.JPG
DSC02782.JPG
DSC02783.JPG

Looks like the shifter is in the way in the pics but it's not, and that's in second gear where it'd be most problematic with a large drink in the forward most cupholder.

Wish I would've gone with a darker grey for the repaint, otherwise happy with the end result.

Last edited:
Anybody have any ideas on what can be used to plug the oval hole where the heater lines came through after deleting the rear heater?
DSC02653.JPG

Aluminum duct tape. Clean the surface well, put a couple layers down.

Aluminum duct tape. Clean the surface well, put a couple layers down.

Thanks. Didn't know if Mr. T had a rubber hole plug for models that didn't come with rear heater, or if those models even exist.

That stuff is awesome. I've covered a few unused holes with it so far in my floor and its totally water sealed. I put two layers on inside and outside of the surface.

Well done on the console! Thanks very much for sharing!

Thanks

I've got a rear seat heater, otherwise this would be on my todo list.

Yeah, I found for my needs that with such a small interior space that warming up the kiddos in back is easily accomplished without the rear heater, and lockable storage was a must for when the top is off. If they're cold they can put a jacket on and/or suck it up...need to toughen them up anyway;)

I considered trying to mod it to keep the rear heater but it wasn't worth it to me in the end. Could probably be done with a bit of ingenuity, then you could have your cake and eat it too.

For a plug, perhaps an oval piece of steel and use up the last 4 rivets with a bit of
gasket sealant. I like the alum tape idea, but hidden under a console isn't where I'd like
a leak.
Really nice work, well done! J

For a plug, perhaps an oval piece of steel and use up the last 4 rivets with a bit of
gasket sealant. I like the alum tape idea, but hidden under a console isn't where I'd like
a leak.

Hello,

An oval piece of steel with gasket sealant and aluminum tape could be an option as well. Both sealant and tape would keep it in place.

Juan

a leak.

Hello,

An oval piece of steel with gasket sealant and aluminum tape could be an option as well. Both sealant and tape would keep it in place.

Juan

Thanks for the additional recommendations. A piece of steel with sealant +/- aluminum tape is a good idea but is a bit more complicated (drilling holes in the floor, painting) than just the tape. If you look at the first picture I posted the bracket at the back of the console is open to the rear so the console sits over the hole but doesn't really "hide" it. I can see and get at it with the console in place so will be able to monitor for leaks. I'm going to go with tape on both sides of the floor pan. If leaking problems arise I'll try the steel and sealant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom