What did you do on your 70 series today? (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yesterday went off road at this place with a terrible name:
Potts Mountain Jeep Trail , Craig County/Alleghany County, VA

Broke some stuff like u-bolt on front spring/axle. Will need to dismantle hubs, birfields, etc to find source of grinding and binding.
upload_2018-7-21_14-55-12.png

Impact?

Slipping off rocks and bashing onto others. The other side's spring plate where the ubolts stick out beneath got slammed at least once.
Axle tube is not leaking.

Beno,
I am ashamed to say I do not know of this product or the benefits.

Similarly, is there a product whereby i can disconnect anti-sway bar up front to gain better articulation? I mean like a quick-disconnect, not a socket wrench.

FYI @jblueridge, can’t remember your locker situation but the u-bolt flip kit beno referenced will not work on the rear axle on the side with the OEM cable locker mechanism without modification. I looked into this kit and was working with lcwizard on a modified plate but the project fell by the wayside.

A quick and easy alternative are the armored style u bolt plates like SOR...pain in the butt to tighten the nuts but offer a lot of protection.

8GWn1lX.png

FYI @jblueridge, can’t remember your locker situation but the u-bolt flip kit beno referenced will not work on the rear axle on the side with the OEM cable locker mechanism without modification. I looked into this kit and was working with lcwizard on a modified plate but the project fell by the wayside.

@Greg_B has them on his cable locked 74, maybe he can shed some light.

I can tell you a kit for a 60 will only work on 3 corners, the 74 has different rear shock mount orientation (IIRC one shock mounts in front of the axle tube and the other mounts behind and the 60s are both on the same side). I made that mistake with mine buying through Man-A-Fre. Dave was good enough to exchange one mount for the correct one.

That was back in 2011... and no I still haven't gotten around to installing it :D
I do have the other 3 on and yes it's an excellent mod.

I have a Harrop e-locker in the rear diff, no locker in front.
I will almost surely get the front axle kit as the one ubolt is snapped off and must be replaced with something.

If you talk with Dave, he will set you up with the correct combination to do this on your 7x.

The 60 series link was only for illustration purposes for what I was talking about.

Understood - just making sure nobody else makes the same mistake I did.

Beno,
I am ashamed to say I do not know of this product or the benefits.

Similarly, is there a product whereby i can disconnect anti-sway bar up front to gain better articulation? I mean like a quick-disconnect, not a socket wrench.

I have Dave's u-bolt flip kits on my BJ70 and my FJ40. As Onur said, Dave is exceptional with customer service making sure his customers get the parts/kit needed for their truck.

@Greg_B has them on his cable locked 74, maybe he can shed some light.
I can tell you a kit for a 60 will only work on 3 corners, the 74 has different rear shock mount orientation (IIRC one shock mounts in front of the axle tube and the other mounts behind and the 60s are both on the same side).

If @Greg_B has them he either moved the shock mount or has a modified plate from Dave. I was emailing with Dave and looking into having him modify his plate to fit with the cable locker mechanism but never followed through. I believe for those without cable lockers that you just get two identical lefthand plates for the rear (instead of a right and left) and then just rotate one to use on the right hand side. This would work on cable locked axles. Otherwise, the pin for the shock eye needs to be extended to clear locker mechanism.

Here's a really good photo of the u-bolt flip kit on my 74. I did have to call Dave and tell him my application and he sent the correct product the first time. My truck does not have OEM cable lockers.

472.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom