U bolt flip kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at the Man a fre u bolt flip kit for my BJ73, I understand that the 60 series kit will fit my diffs? My only question is how does it work with the 70 series where one rear shock is mounted forward of the diff and the other is mounted behind?

I'd have to get 2 of the same mounts for the rear and flip one around, right? Or are they not a left & right pair but reversible

The flip kits are manufactured by
4PlusProducts | Land Cruiser Parts and Accessories
and available for direct sale too. You are correct that the kit for the 60 series is a direct fit for a 70 series truck. I have one installed on my BJ70 and it is my understanding that it can also be installed on 73/74s.
Also, the owner of 4plusproducts is very proactive in providing quality products and high customer service so contact him if you have any questions.

Call and tell him it's for a 70 series and he will hook you up. Great addition to our little trucks and provide some extra needed clearance.

No-workie in the rear if the truck has cable lockers.

A few years ago I used to make these for 70# series, if you want more info I will download the working drawings.

U Bolt Plates 4 (2017_05_12 22_13_50 UTC)-1.png

This is going back more than a decade since I bought mine so my memory is a little foggy, but I bought the 60 series kit for my 74 (originally for my BJ70) from MAF and yes, only 3 of the 4 mounts fit. Dave(?) at 4+ was good enough to trade the 4th mount for the correct one.
I agree with LDowney and Fireball: go direct to the source, and tell him it's for a 70 series - he'll know the difference.

No-workie in the rear if the truck has cable lockers.

Hmm. Pretty sure @Greg_B has them on his cable locked 74. I don't recall him doing anything special to make it work, maybe he'll chime in.

Yes, I do have u-bolt flip kits on my BJ74 with cable lockers. More then a decade on mine as well so maybe the design has changed to make it not work now? I'll post pics if that will help.

The only issue I had with the kit was on the front axle, right side. I have shims to improve caster. The u-bolts are right beside the diff, so the upper and lower plates had to be lengthened a bit so the u-bolts would fit through both plates and past the wider profile from the top to bottom view of the axle housing.

In fact, my kit has been on long enough that the front left lower shock mount nut froze in place on the stud and broke off when I was replacing the upper shock bushings that had disappeared. New threaded bolt shaft welded on and good to go again.

hth's
gb

Last edited:
Yes, I do have u-bolt flip kits on my BJ74 with cable lockers. More then a decade on mine as well so maybe the design has changed to make it not work now? I'll post pics if that will help.

hth's
gb

I'd like to see pics if it isn't too much trouble. I was under the impression they wouldn't work with cable lockers. Who's your source for the kit?
Thanks

I'd like to see some pictures to get a idea of what I'd be gaining. Have been in contact with Dave at 4+, he's very helpful

Okay, spent some time under the truck reigniting memory banks (partially successful) and snapped some pictures. We are all correct: In supplied form the ubolt flip kits will not work with cable lockers on the rear. The pin the shock attaches to was modified on my right rear lower mount, to move the shock towards the front and clear the cable locker mechanism. It's been on there over 10 years with a fair number of trips and wheeling, so it has stood up.

As mentioned in my prior post, I recall it being a bear to make the front right work, due to axle housing rotation from caster shims. I recall making up a template from wood, for a buddy to modify the top plate (and I thought bottom as well), but my quick measurements comparing the front two plates don't match my memory. So I will do more recon on this aspect. As you can see in the pictures of the front lower plate I moved my front axle forward as much as I could with the spring pin hole. The front shock housing on compression just hits the front of the shock tower mount, so the shock cover has been beat up over the years.

Here are the pictures. The 1st three are of the front right. As you can see my bumps stop is chipped away where the ubolt compresses into it on compression.
1 - Front Right.jpg
2 - Front Right.jpg
3 - Front Right.jpg

Last edited:
Front and rear left sides:

1 - Front Left.jpg

1 - Left Rear.jpg

Rear cable locker detail with flip kit:

1 - Right Rear.jpg
2 - Right Rear.jpg

To the question of what you gain...quite a bit imo. When in rock you don't get hung up on the bottom plate. And these are the same as bj70_guy's so would be Marks at 4plus.

hth's

gb

Clearance.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom