What did you do on your 70 series today? (44 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Met @jfrench for lunch today. Sweet truck dude! Hope to do it again!
We'll definitely do it again. As you discovered, I need some help with the ol' girl, who by the way looks a bit peaked next to yours

Finished rust repair on rear q panel. Had been fixed previously by some one who had stock in Bondo. Was 1/4 inch thick in places. Now all hr s.metal and ready to run the gauntlet of the dreaded Safety Tech. Just have to grv guard n paint.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got some aluminium and St/Steel pressed to match the old factory plastic door scuffs. Changed it slightly to cover the whole sill and to grip the new rubber floor mat better. The aluminium set I'm making for my son's birthday as he has a 75 series then I'll use that set as a template for my St/Steel ones.
IMG_4742.JPG

IMG_4748.JPG
IMG_4747.JPG

Finished installing my EGT gauge and while I was there, investigated why my interior ventilation control was stuck at the windscreen end of its travel, follower had popped out of the guide plate down near the driver's left foot, took 15 seconds to pop it back in and it all works again, have only been putting up with that for 2.5 years.

Last chance to check all systems before safety. Rear wiper moved 4 inches n quit. Fuse was gone replaced 20amp with a 15. Blew instantly. Dead short some where. Started at the motor. Wiring. In plugged harness to wiper and tested with a 20. No short. Process of elimination says motor wires. On inspection can see where two wires have been rubbing. Re insulated them. Worked perfect. But I think the washer tubing got pinched. Pump runs though so should be an easy fix.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Those scuff strips look so good I'm totally stealing your method. My sons bj was missing both sides. I scavenged two from a prado but the fit is too short. So just bend some up! To hell with stock yours are prime. I love custom

Finally finished fabricating the roof rack, gonna take it to get it coated in LineX tomorrow. Originally had fabricated the front section to attach to roof bars I had under my roof tent, that is why half of it is already painted.

IMG_20170721_191103.jpg
IMG_20170721_191038.jpg

Cleaned my wheels for the first time in a long time. Brake dust had the wheel interior completely black. I made the mistake of going for Simple Green first. Should not have done that. Get the specialized wheel cleaner solution from your parts store, the one that smells terrible. That s*** works.

4fdvKaM.jpg

The photo below is of the wheel that I tried Simple Green on first. It did not work well and what was left after SG took forever to scrape off. This was a mistake. Use the specialized brake dust cleaner solutions first- they break down the iron in the dust and allow it to separate from the wheel.

oycYNXJ.jpg

I asked around and most people said to wax the inside of the wheel a few times to help cleaning next time. This (below) is about as clean as I was able to get them.

2HkvAsk.jpg

IMG_1885.JPG
IMG_1887.JPG
IMG_1888.JPG
Finally pulled the seats and vacuumed the sh** out of the interior. Can you tell I've done two long trips with a dog?
IMG_1890.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG

Really like your tucked in look nice and clean. I see a grnd clp. You make that? I need a new bumper to replace the monsterous platform on this bj

image.jpg

I wish I was that good to fabricate the entire thing, but it was a JK aftermarket bumper that I modified. These are $200 bucks with shipping on Ebay.

It took about a 10 hours to do it right. I need to get it re-painted since the welds took off the epoxy where the new brackets are.

I can tell you how I did it. It really wasn't that hard. Get some 3/16th stock at the local steel supplier and custom fit it in situ. Get some drill bits and a step bit and you are golden. You have to cut about 3/8" off the top of the bumper wings to get it "tucked-in" to the fenders or else it will hit. Email me and I can send you some more pics and give you some more details.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom