Weber Air Cleaner Assemblies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
Threads
post up the ones you find and the ones that might work on a cruiser.

mine is an old school K&N that i converted to stud/nut instead of clips

IMG_1660.JPG

I've got an adapter to old style OEM filter assembly

I actually have the larger (taller) K&N air filter on now, with a TPI pre-filter. This is the standard Weber air filter with a foam pre-filter.

image.jpeg

Honestly , I'd use the Empi or whoever's base fits the top of the Weber's 4 mounting screws for the filter as a template . Build a base from a round donor air cleaner and run the tallest filter you can possibly fit . Do not put anything over the top of the air horn to retain the top cover !!! Instead , use studs and wingnuts or something around the outside ring or even clips if you have to and seal the center hole shut by either welding or a rubber plug that cannot fall inside and go through the engine . One of the closest engines we tested when checking air flow issues on the dyno had a homebrew filter made by a hvac shop - almost no difference in comparison to the Ramflo . My own engine tested 18hp lower with the taller Empi filter despite all attempts to compensate the jetting setup on the sniffer . I know these are tractor engines and cfm flow in the head design is pretty low - but further restriction of the air inlet and it's affect on how the carb's venturis work makes a huge difference . If you think I'm nuts - make a run without your filter installed when there's no dust around . Many times you actually have to enrich the main circuit a few points to run with the unrestricted flow correctly .

Sarge

Just fyi - never show up here with one of those adapters and ask me to work on the carb - they get a high speed trip out into the cornfield nearly a block away or my favorite 3lb hammer . Those screw up the air flow into the carb worse than the Empi filter design . Like I said , the base and lid should somehow have their own means of holding the lid to the base and never doing it above the air horn . There are tons of oem carbs built for air horn clamping mounts for the lid - but they are designed that way , not adapted . The DGV series carbs were not designed to have a cover above the air horn - doing so screws up it's air flow properties . It's not just a cfm issue , it's also how the air enters the throats - that is more important in how the jetting and fuel/air curve works on the emulsion tubes .

Sarge

So I've also got the adapter Webber that mounts to the OEM filter box...

...but where the box fits to the top of the Webber I end up with a 1/8" gap around the circumference.

Am I missing a trim seal or do they all not fit tight?

Zooming in on Brian's photo I see the same gap...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453599649.545513.jpg

So I've also got the adapter Webber that mounts to the OEM filter box...

...but where the box fits to the top of the Webber I end up with a 1/8" gap around the circumference.

Am I missing a trim seal or do they all not fit tight?

Zooming in on Brian's photo I see the same gap...
View attachment 1196566

negative on the gap. tight like prom night.
there is a large rubber seal.

Large rubber seal right where OEM box meets aluminum adapter?

Photo? Presume I need to call Man A Fre to get it? (Carb installed by PO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom