Warn 8274 9.5 XP Motor upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I’d share my recent refurbishment of an 80’s vintage 8274. It was a 2 for 1 deal for a few hundred Canadian bucks. The better of the 2 had good internals and good brake frictions so it was chosen. I buffed the drum and painted it to prep for synthetic rope which I’ll get at the local wire/rope/rigging industrial supply shop. The case got a quick degrease and scub with degreaser and brake clean followed by a coat of grey metallic rim paint. The motor was a direct bolt up and included the needed new style drive gear and a gasket. I did have to buy a new end plate cause the one that came with it was worn right through the bushing. The bushings and seal on the gear side were in like new condition.

One of the best things you can do for your old Warn is upgrade the solenoid pack to an Albright style contactor, which I bought from summit racing. I’m convinced any version of these is a substantial improvement on the solenoid packs. I chose to mount it on the end of the motor because it is behind the grille and it keeps the cables short. I used #2 welding cable and soldered and hammered the terminals before sealing up with self glueing heat shrink tube. I sealed all of the bolts and plugs on the winch with rtv. It’s little water proofing details that make these things so reliable in our salty wet and snow northern climate.

The project truck is almost done so soon I’ll be able to take it out and see how much of an improvement the 6.5 hp motor is over the 4 hp stock replacement on my other rig. I realize I’m not breaking any new ground here, but it interesting that this build is functionally the same as the newly released limited edition 8274-70 anniversary edition which is over $3000 in Canada. This has been in the works for some time now so I don’t recall exactly how much I paid for the parts, but I’m certain I’ll be right at about $1000 Canadian start to finish, including synthetic rope, for the same winch :beer::)
79ACBAE8-D1DF-499B-AD11-5C6F2154D0E1.jpeg
2CC6E0B4-24A7-4DA4-ACB1-DBB6552B7DA4.jpeg
341B7120-6D43-4D59-8CA6-F70A3F0C1A6D.jpeg
CA398267-08B5-47E4-A5B7-566429DD680A.jpeg
D5D6F58C-D7D1-46B2-A6E8-67D94353EC16.jpeg

The project truck is almost done so soon I’ll be able to take it out and see how much of an improvement the 6.5 hp motor is over the 4 hp stock replacement on my other rig.

You're going to like it - that motor makes it a real power house. Way more than an 8,000 lb winch (that the the 8274 was originally rated at). I have pulled some huge rigs out with mine, including a big Ford diesel pickup towing a loaded goose neck trailer, out of a ditch and up a steep hill. I haven't found anything yet that it wouldn't pull, as long as I can anchor my 40.

Well done! Is that 3/16” or 1/4” plate that you made your winch cage
out of? Rear box mounted rad? Last question, what tires are those?

Really dig your mount. How close is the winch to radiator?

Well done! Is that 3/16” or 1/4” plate that you made your winch cage
out of? Rear box mounted rad? Last question, what tires are those?

Thanks!!! Rad is in the back. its a summit circle track aluminum LS swap rad cooling a LS2. There is not much room for a rad. The goal was to shift weight to the back: winch back 8-12 inches, rad in back, engine right back against the firewall. Looking for a more balanced weight distribution. The mount is 1/4” flat bar pressed to those angles and trimmed with a plasma. Tires are 39.5 x 12.5 r 15 Bias Iroks. Details are in my thread linked in my signature.

:beer:

Looked like IROKs, couldn’t be sure. Cool build. I think 1/4” would be better,
I’ve got an 8274 to mount up and it needs a whole face plate, so I’ll go 1/4”.

Hey what's the part number for the contactor you used?
Cheers.

Hey, Sorry I don’t remember the part number since I bought it a number of years ago. Let me suggest a search for winch parts on Summit, there are a number of suitable options from $40 to 90. I did this search but I don’t see the exact model on there anymore. I think they are all functionally the same, I’ve installed different but similar units on 3 different winches and they’ve never missed a beat. It's important to note, by design, these are so much more reliable than solenoid packs which have to share the load which never actually happens cause 1 of the solenoids always takes more load than the other so it burns out. Just make sure you get one for a truck sized winch which should be 500A rather than an atv sized model.

What kind of washer is it?
Metal. Fits the shaft. It's not either of the paper/fiber gaskets that seal the motor. Because my old original motor did not have one, I'm thinking it's a 'not applicable' item to the 8274.
It's pictured in some of the EBay listings for the motor.

I'm not using that motor, but the larger motor i am using did not require a washer between the motor's rotor and the bearing, or the gear.

Good morning all, I know this a old thread , I am very interested in doing this upgrade to my Belleview winch. My question is there any other parts besides the motor, solenoid relay, controller ,drive gear. and I hope everything should bolt right up correct. One more thing the drive gear or spline gear that fits on the end of the motor are they hard to find?

Last edited:
Not sure on the Belleview winches, esp if it's one of the old strap brake ones. For the later models and 8274s, all you really need is the motor and the drive gear, the stock solenoids are up to the task.

One more thing the drive gear or spline gear that fits on the end of the motor are they hard to find?

They're NLA from Warn as far as I know, so you'd have to try a gear/bearing house for a new one or look for a second-hand one. I may still have the one I took off my stock motor when I upgraded my 8274, but it's packed with most of my shop stuff since the last move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom