Wagongear's Newest Product: Firestick Antenna Mount (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

looks very cool.. is the sheet metal strong enough to handle a tree branch hit on that antenna?

I belive Kevin has all the info posted on his website...

Johnny & Kevin:

Could you guys possibly post the model number and size of the Firestick that was used on Johnny’s 60? (By the way Kevin, I’m heading over to Wagongear shortly in order to secure my place in line!:hillbilly:)

H.S.M.

Antenna Mount

Antenna info is on the right side. I used the 4' model.

This looks like a great idea. While we’re on this topic; I’ve noticed that my old AM/FM antenna doesn’t perform anywhere near as good as newer cars. I can’t get radio stations from as far away and I get interference when using AM. Meaning that I can hear my engine revs through the AM radio interference. While installing this new setup with CB / radio splitter, is there anything else I can do to increase the range and clarity of my sound system? New speakers and head unit will follow in the future. Maybe I should take this to the electronics thread but I thought I would start here since some of the equipment is 60 related.

Yup. like johnny said, a good antenna will make a world of difference, even with my old 1981 push button radio the difference was night and day. For the interference noise you might want to check the little tiny black box attached to the passenger firewall with a small black wire running to the coil, it is an isolator meant to help with engine interference and the wires tend to rot off.
I've never had one that wasn't rotted off, so I can't vouch for it actually doing anything. :hillbilly:

OCHO4I Johnny & Kevin:

Could you guys possibly post the model number and size of the Firestick that was used on Johnny’s 60? (By the way Kevin, I’m heading over to Wagongear shortly in order to secure my place in line!)

H.S.M.
Hey Hector, they are all posted on that new page.
You can't click anything to buy it yet, but soon. That's ok since you still owe me an email about your side panels from a ways back anyway.
:cheers:

beaufort-fj60 looks very cool.. is the sheet metal strong enough to handle a tree branch hit on that antenna?
Only if you run that spring I spec (bold print on the parts list page). The antenna will suffer more than the fender without the spring, but it would still be a risk.
I've beat the crap out of mine for two years set up this way, still rockin.
Without the spring it lasted all of one trip. (it was one hell of a trip though, about 8k miles worth.

Kevin,
The black box that you're referring to...? I know that there's a circuit openening relay and a few other things inside the passenger side kick panel. Is the box you're talking about in the same place?

How does regular radio reception work with the splitter? And also is CB performance adqate?

Kevin,
The black box that you're referring to...? I know that there's a circuit openening relay and a few other things inside the passenger side kick panel. Is the box you're talking about in the same place?

No, this is in the engine bay, on the fender. It is a tiny little box, maybe .5x.75"?

Elbert How does regular radio reception work with the splitter? And also is CB performance adqate?
Great, and better. I am comparing the radio to an old, cracked, bent, wont go all the way up, OE antenna, so it would be hard not to be better. But the splitter actually lowers the SWR of the CB antenna. (that part surprised me since I figured CB performance would suffer). I consistently end up at the front or back of groups due to the fairly long range CB performance.

But then that might be because I actually tune my antenna.....gripe,mumble,gripe.. :grinpimp:

But then that might be because I actually tune my antenna.....gripe,mumble,gripe.. :grinpimp:

Hey, hey, hey, I tuned mine and after I got good results, we tuned Kenny's too. Now the reception is crystal clear :cool:

Now if I can only get that damn Matchmaker to work :flipoff2:

...you might be over-estimating the demand for a WagonGear t-shirt :D

Oh, you're crushing me now. I couldn't sleep the other night cuz I was brainstorming a shirt 'thang'. (to be revealed in chat, later).

Most shirts have a dozen minimum order, plus 1time art set-up fee. I'm sure you could find 12 of us to swap with. :grinpimp:

Oh, you're crushing me now. I couldn't sleep the other night cuz I was brainstorming a shirt 'thang'. (to be revealed in chat, later).

Most shirts have a dozen minimum order, plus 1time art set-up fee. I'm sure you could find 12 of us to swap with. :grinpimp:

Contacted a local place today about some shirts.
And a dozen!?!?! I was thinking a run of at least a hundred. :flipoff2:

Just an update. I've been wheeling the crap out of my truck since the antenna has been on, and I only have one complaint. With how long the antenna is, when the truck sways from side to side hard enough, the antenna tends to whip the windshield / passenger side a-pillar. This is fixed one of three ways as I see it. First, run a shorter antenna. Second, use a rope to tie the antenna down closer to the a-pillar, restricting it's movement. Third, drive slower over the rough stuff. Not a problem at all after slowing the vehicle speed down a little bit.

Other than that it's indestructible! I've hit many trees with the antenna / coil mount and it's solid. It has not loosened up on me and the reception is great! I love this product.

I'm in for a t-shirt. I like to show support for the vendors that support my addiction, err, obsession, no - hobby, yes, it's a hobby.

With how long the antenna is, when the truck sways from side to side hard enough, the antenna tends to whip the windshield / passenger side a-pillar.
Good feedback on that, what I will do is kick up to the next heavier spring. The next one up is the one I have on my truck, but I felt it was a tad too stiff, not quite as forgiving as the medium that you are running, and I liked how stable the medium was at highway speeds.
My antenna on the heavy definitely does not hit the A pillar though, that would annoy the heck out of me.
Thanks for the help Johnny! I'll get you another spring.
KR

Good feedback on that, what I will do is kick up to the next heavier spring. The next one up is the one I have on my truck, but I felt it was a tad too stiff, not quite as forgiving as the medium that you are running, and I liked how stable the medium was at highway speeds.
My antenna on the heavy definitely does not hit the A pillar though, that would annoy the heck out of me.
Thanks for the help Johnny! I'll get you another spring.
KR

Before you go buying anything, let me come up there to show you what I mean. I like everything about the spring in terms of on road. I feel if it was much stiffer it would put a lot more pressure on the antenna when brushing against trees, which might not be good. How stiff is your spring?

Before you go buying anything, let me come up there to show you what I mean. I like everything about the spring in terms of on road. I feel if it was much stiffer it would put a lot more pressure on the antenna when brushing against trees, which might not be good. How stiff is your spring?

This is not an online dating site.

Dynosoar:zilla:

If you're listening to FM radio and key the CB (or pick up a transmission), does if interfere with your FM signal? I like this solution that Kevin came up with, but I still love having my factory retractable antenna...

I'm in for a t-shirt. I like to show support for the vendors that support my addiction, err, obsession, no - hobby, yes, it's a hobby.

wouldn't that make the "vendors" your Cruiser Crack Dealers? :hmm:

At the least they are your enablers :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom