Wagongear's Newest Product: Firestick Antenna Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I recently installed the WagonGear mount using all the recommended parts (Firestik Firefly 4', etc) and so far I'm getting great radio reception. I'm a Little Rock guy, too, so I can vouch that you should be getting all the local stations.

Since you changed the location of your lower mount, you now have quite a bit of threaded rod sticking down below the mount. You might try cutting off the excess rod right at the base of the lower mount (below the nut of course) and see if it improves. I'm not an antenna engineer, so YMMV.

PS - I've seen your Cruiser around LR. I'm in a white 60 with an ARB bumper and snorkel. :)

EDIT: you might also want to double check all you parts with a multimeter, especially your antenna, to make sure you don't have any opens or shorts.

Thanks for the idea. But it seems that the mysterious radio static is gone now. I'm not sure what the problem was but now that I think about it, I've had my CB unhooked for some time now (it's a portable one) and don't remember having any static since then. Maybe that's the problem. Or could just be a loose connection somewhere. I've tested it with an SWR and got good results but have not tried to check any continuity.

Also, I've seen you pulling out of Point West in the mornings when I'm actually on time for work going down Kanis (I live just off of Nix Road/Parkway Place). Great looking Cruiser! I thought I saw a Firestik/WagonGear antenna setup on your rig. I was actually in front of you on Wednesday in my DD Honda Pilot. Now I sound like a stalker.

Also, I've seen you pulling out of Point West in the mornings when I'm actually on time for work going down Kanis (I live just off of Nix Road/Parkway Place). Great looking Cruiser! I thought I saw a Firestik/WagonGear antenna setup on your rig. I was actually in front of you on Wednesday in my DD Honda Pilot. Now I sound like a stalker.

Thanks! You should lurk over on the RLC forum from time to time if you aren't already doing so (AR- Razorback Land Cruisers).

Back to the antenna tech - does anyone know if you can get the OEM rubber grommet that you have to reuse from the old antenna from Toyota or another source? Mine was missing, so I'm using a thick rubber washer for now.

Just ordered the kit from Kevin.. Just noticed last night that my aftermarket fender I put on doesn't have an antennae hole cut in it..:eek:.

GLTHFJ60, which SWR meter do you have? I looked for the one Kevin recommends, but doesn't pull up anywhere.

Thanks for the heads up, corrected the link.
Johnny's got you covered, any basic meter will work just fine.

.........it seems that the mysterious radio static is gone now...........
Nice that it's gone but things like that bug me, I much prefer to find the actual problem.
Not sure where to point you though, as others have mentioned, the FM reception seems to be great with this setup. I rarely listen to the radio though, and I also notice that there seems to be more wiper motor interference than with other radios though.

has anyone tried this on an 80, and rhd 80 to be more precise?
The same basic principle will work just fine, but the dimensions are not correct for this mount to hold an 80 antenna at the right angle.
I will be making an 80 version soon, have a junk 80 that will be here soon for a bunch of R&D.

Thanks, got it ordered today..
KR is off at Overland Expo in AZ.. He will ship my items when he gets back..
J

Yeah, I need to get that packed up..... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom