Wagongear's Newest Product: Firestick Antenna Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is not an online dating site.

Dynosoar:zilla:

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

If you're listening to FM radio and key the CB (or pick up a transmission), does if interfere with your FM signal? I like this solution that Kevin came up with, but I still love having my factory retractable antenna...

Supposedly no. My matchmaker is faulty so I don't have it hooked up right now.

firestick vs wilson 5k

love the cb/fm combo but was wondering instead of using a firestick could i use my wilson 5k antenna instead and use a stiffer spring

thx

love the cb/fm combo but was wondering instead of using a firestick could i use my wilson 5k antenna instead and use a stiffer spring

thx
Shouldn't be a problem, they all tend to use the standard 3/8" thread.

slcfj62 Is the matchmaker prone to failure? It is the key to this whole setup working. If it is not robust, I'm not sure I want to do this.
Not that I know of, I wouldn't worry about it, Johnny just has terrible luck. We cant even get his hatch seals to work. :rolleyes:
The only advice I can (seriously) offer is that mine has been flawless for the last two years of rough use.
Maybe we can check with Wallcott? Don't know if we would get an honest answer though...
The one that Johnny got was faulty right out of the box.

OK. Good to know.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say I didn't like the setup or anything. I just happened to get a defective one. As Kevin said I have terrible luck, I even got a faulty LED dome light from TaskLED. No worries though, the domelight was replaced easily and so will the matchmaker.

Shouldn't be a problem, they all tend to use the standard 3/8" thread.

thx alot kevin... i sorta hate the idea of buying a firestick besides ive been real happy with my wilson. and on a side not im looking forward to once i get my cruiser up and running to be getting all sorts of goodies from you guys. thx alot and keep up the good work

It all evens out though, didn't those axles you got end up having lockers in them or something?

Yep:grinpimp: I'm putting money on them having longs in there too.

Found some really good pictures and info on Firestik's website.

These pictures are big and clear:

FireRing Stud Mount Installation

Be sure to also check out the "Firestik Technical Help" section, particularly the "Coax Connector Processing" topic:

Tech-Docs Index

If I get the design correct, it looks like there is an extender that attaches to a mount on the fender and sticks through the existing hole on the top of the fender. From there, there is a spring and the firestick antenna. The feed attaches to the bottom mount point of the extender.

I don't see how this could possibly work. You have effectively made the antenna longer by using the extender. This changes the frequency response of the antenna and will make it so that you get a poor match (high SWR) with the radio, which seems to be the case. I don't think there is anything wrong with the matchmaker.

While the matchmaker can allow you to get AM/FM radio reception through a CB radio antenna, I don't think it allows you to use an arbitrary length CB antenna. The firestick does have and adjustment for SWR, but I don't believe it can adjust for the additional 6" you have added to the antenna length. Take the matchmaker out of the equation. Connect the CB directly to the antenna and I bet you have the same poor SWR.

That being said, many people run cheap CB radios and don't really care about performance. Many of these radios have such low output that they won't be damaged by a poor antenna match. Heck, you could key up some of these without any antenna and still not blow them up. However, I would not recommend running a system with a high SWR. JMHO. And if I have misunderstood the design, I apologize in advance.

Found some really good pictures and info on Firestik's website.

These pictures are big and clear:

FireRing Stud Mount Installation

Be sure to also check out the "Firestik Technical Help" section, particularly the "Coax Connector Processing" topic:

Tech-Docs Index

Great references for mounting any antenna using the fire ring connector. I used them when I put my install together.

If I get the design correct, it looks like there is an extender that attaches to a mount on the fender and sticks through the existing hole on the top of the fender. From there, there is a spring and the firestick antenna. The feed attaches to the bottom mount point of the extender.

I don't see how this could possibly work. You have effectively made the antenna longer by using the extender. This changes the frequency response of the antenna and will make it so that you get a poor match (high SWR) with the radio, which seems to be the case. I don't think there is anything wrong with the matchmaker.

While the matchmaker can allow you to get AM/FM radio reception through a CB radio antenna, I don't think it allows you to use an arbitrary length CB antenna. The firestick does have and adjustment for SWR, but I don't believe it can adjust for the additional 6" you have added to the antenna length. Take the matchmaker out of the equation. Connect the CB directly to the antenna and I bet you have the same poor SWR.

That being said, many people run cheap CB radios and don't really care about performance. Many of these radios have such low output that they won't be damaged by a poor antenna match. Heck, you could key up some of these without any antenna and still not blow them up. However, I would not recommend running a system with a high SWR. JMHO. And if I have misunderstood the design, I apologize in advance.

What you're saying doesn't make sense. What you're saying is that my setup shouldn't work because my antenna was effectively extended by 6" or so, which is true. That means that the matchmaker wouldn't be able to work with different lengths of antennas, which isn't true.

Currently I have my antenna connected directly to my Cobra CB and my SWR is less than 1. I have excellent CB reception and the SWR only goes up when I connect the match maker. Therefore, the matchmaker is the faulty component.

You are 100% correct on the design, but with the SWR adjustment on the CB and the tunable tip of the antenna you can get the SWR really, really low.

Well, actually, you're both right.
Hell, we're ALL right! (don't anybody go asking for a group hug though...) :p

I'm not claiming to be a radio engineer, or actually an engineer of any kind for that matter, I just find an idea I like, I make it, and I see if it works.
The antenna mount works and other people liked it, so it's there if you want it.
Reception is good, broadcast is good and the SWRs are low, not claiming that this is the best antenna by any means, but I designed it more for the installation I wanted than for high end radio function.
Any real efforts on the finer functions of a CB are misplaced anyway since CB radios are the lowest common denominator when it comes to communication, any discussion relating to higher functions should be a discussion about VHF radio.

That being said, I THINK that what is not being considered is the function of the ground plane for the antenna. The structural mount goes below the surface and extends the mechanical antenna, but the ground plane for the antenna is actually in the same location as any other mount would have it, the fender is metal, on the same ground as the mount and makes a reflector plane at the spot where the antenna would normally terminate. The bit below the surface effectively becomes wiring, not antenna.

But, I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about, I just see that it works. :cheers:

love the clean set up of these...getting ready to make the purchase...

I like it and would like to add a quick disconnect before the spring. This allows me to park in downtown garages up here. Would that interfere with the system and recommended?

pixel_trans.gif

R1A - External Locking Quick Disconnect - Electronics Superstore www.WalcottCB.com

Last edited:
What you're saying doesn't make sense. What you're saying is that my setup shouldn't work because my antenna was effectively extended by 6" or so, which is true. That means that the matchmaker wouldn't be able to work with different lengths of antennas, which isn't true.

Currently I have my antenna connected directly to my Cobra CB and my SWR is less than 1. I have excellent CB reception and the SWR only goes up when I connect the match maker. Therefore, the matchmaker is the faulty component.

You are 100% correct on the design, but with the SWR adjustment on the CB and the tunable tip of the antenna you can get the SWR really, really low.

Couple of things here. First of all, there is no way that your SWR is less than 1. By definition, the lowest possible value for SWR is 1. Saying it is less than 1 makes no sense.

Second, I think your confusing physical antenna length to electrical length. Antennas have to be tuned to the frequency they are designed to work at, such as 1/4 wavelength, 1/2 wavelength, etc. Manufacturers use different design tricks to make physically shorter antennas appear to be electrically longer. Your firestick has copper wire wrapped around a fiberglass rod. This makes it look like it is 102" (1/4 wavelength) to the radio, even though it is physically much shorter.

And last of all, there is no SWR adjustment on a CB radio. The think the adjustment you are referring to is for the (cheap) SWR meter that is in some radios. This is to zero the meter so you can then take a reading. Perhaps you are using the meter wrong? I suggest an external meter for any kind of accurate reading anyhow.

I have no idea of how the matchmaker works. I can only assume that it some kind of impedence matcher letting you use a CB antenna (50 ohm) with a AM/FM radio (75 ohm) device. It is not an antenna tuner letting you adjust the antenna circuit. I can attest that these devices are not cheap by how much my ham radio one cost.

Like you said, the Firestick is tunable. You may be able to tune it to make up for the added length. I have no idea if you can or not. I assume that would be more than it is able to adjust for, but I definitely could be wrong.

Like I said in a previous post, having a good SWR doesn't matter to most people. If your not running a juiced radio with an amplifier, then you could probably use a coat hanger. Most people just use the radio to talk with other in their group who are in close proximity anyhow.

However, whatever works for you is all that is important. In fact, that is all that is important! Enjoy!

Johnny and Kevin - assuming that your Match-Maker is up under the dash somewhere, any thoughts on an ideal place for it? Assume you'll need relatively easy access to make adjustments. I'm thinking thru my install now...

Johnny and Kevin - assuming that your Match-Maker is up under the dash somewhere, any thoughts on an ideal place for it? Assume you'll need relatively easy access to make adjustments. I'm thinking thru my install now...

I put mine behind the HVAC controls. Not bolted to anything, just sitting there. I set mine up so I can access the Matchmaker by taking the HVAC controls out and access the remote CB unit by taking my gauge cluster out. Piece of cake!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom