Vais Technology SL3b Bluetooth interface adapter install for 08 lc200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this is the response I got from VAIS yesterday:

Thank you for your inquiry.
It sounds like there may be an issue with the power connection to the VAIS unit.
You may want to return the vehicle to whomever installed the unit, and check that it is receiving constant power. Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.
--
Best regards,
Joe W.
Sales & Tech Support Representative

ive not experienced a that...yet. Only downfall I've found is on the initial start up my music will kick off within the first 30 seconds. I have to press play again and then it's fine. If not the iPhone will default to my Apple Music library and start playing beastie boys. For your scenario have you ruled out the blue tooth is reacting to another device that it is nearby?

I have the same thing happen with mine. Always defaults to playing first library song from apple music/ iTunes , even if Im already running spotify. Another quirk I noticed is that when I deleted Apple Music from my phone, that the SL3BL wouldnt display any track info from spotify like it used to, nor would it let me use the steering wheel controls to advance tracks. I had to change tracks on the phone itself. So, I reinstalled Apple Music, and the song display and controls came back.

For your scenario have you ruled out the blue tooth is reacting to another device that it is nearby?

Yep, It still happened when driving down roads with no one within a half mile of me. I'll keep troubleshooitng it in case anyone else has a similar issue.

I have the same thing happen with mine. Always defaults to playing first library song from apple music/ iTunes , even if Im already running spotify. Another quirk I noticed is that when I deleted Apple Music from my phone, that the SL3BL wouldnt display any track info from spotify like it used to, nor would it let me use the steering wheel controls to advance tracks. I had to change tracks on the phone itself. So, I reinstalled Apple Music, and the song display and controls came back.

I think that is more related to Apple’s quirky playback regimen than a particular Bluetooth device flaw. That initial song playback thing used to drive me nuts dating back YEARS....when it always played the first alphabetical song in my library.

Not sure what changed, but my phone doesn’t do that any more.

I am running into the issue a ton with my iphone x and the Vaistech and it's driving me crazy how random it is. I can be listening to a podcast on headphones and it transfers to the car (great) and other times, I get in the car and it will only play the first song in the Music App. If I restart other music or a podcast, it just pauses that and goes back to the first song in the music app. That song usually won't play more than 30 seconds. Its driving me crazy. If anyone has figured anything out, please post.

Are you guys still having trouble with the SL3B autoplaying or pausing and reverting to Apple music? I’m considering the install myself but these quirks sound super annoying...

Last edited:
Nice job with the writeup! Had an 08' and the lack of BT streaming (and no USB port) was part of the reason I upgraded to the '13.

Pretty disappointed in the usaspec support team.
This was the response I got.
"It isn’t a known issue and we are very surprised to find out it did that. unless something is wrong with the bt45 it shouldn’t be doing that, not sure where you got it from but if it wasn’t crutchfield we would recommend that you contact he seller and ask for a refund and instead buy it from our only authorized online reseller (crutchfield) if you are still interested in the BT45."

I got it through amazon from a non crutchfield seller almost a year ago so returns are not an option. If I had to rebuy a bt45 from crutchfield, I'd rather just spend my money on a VIAS. Just my $0.02
Bummer on the feedback. I was just comparing this BT45-TOY on amazon and it's got very high reviews (4.5 out of 5 starrs, 221 ratings, and only $128.43.

Compared to the Vais SL3B-L at $229.99 and only 46 ratings at 3.5 out of 5 stars. Also 23% of people gave it a 1 star review, not a great rating for something of this price.

Sounds like they both either have some issues....or else Apple causes issues with both units. So far on this thread are you the only one who has tried the BT45-TOY? Do you still have it, and have you worked anything out?

Last edited:
I have the BT-45TOY in my wife’s 09 LX and it works flawlessly. It auto connects and plays with no issue. It has some quirks that you just have to except. One is you cannot get song and artist info on the head unit. One of switch settings provided this info but produced no sound. I got sound via the switch settings that use CD changer inputs, so that is the interface you get on head unit and there is no track info. Also you can’t turn Bluetooth calling off. I didn’t run the mic because her car has Bluetooth calling. Since you can’t turn calling off on the BT-45TOY, the two step on each other. Not sure how to resolve that. I can say that it streams audio and has good sound quality. We usually listen to Spotify, but it does it all well.

Recently upgraded from my iPhone 6 to an iPhone XS last month and now my music skips when streaming in the LC.

Not skipping tracks, but skips similar to a scratched CD that loses a second here and there in the middle of a song. Only happens when connected to my VAIS unit in the LC, not with any other bluetooth audio streaming. Any ideas?

I don't have a solution but wanted to add that I received an Echo Auto for Christmas and it easily integrated through the factory Auxiliary Jack. I was so excited until I started to get the same music skips that you are talking about. I feel that it is the lacking Bluetooth technology. I have an iPhone 11 and tried the echo auto in my 2012 Mercedes E550 and had the same problem. I did not trouble shoot much more and shelved the unit chalking it up to an initial launch of a device.

Yep, It still happened when driving down roads with no one within a half mile of me. I'll keep troubleshooitng it in case anyone else has a similar issue.
Have same exact issue with a SL3BT just installed in my 2006. iPhone 11 Pro and it’s very intermittent, but once It happens, you tend to focus on it and it sucks the magic away from having Bluetooth. Guess i will l
monitor for now....don’t want to rip dash out again....probably listened to 60-70 tracks and it’s happened 4 times.

Appreciate the writeup.
Does the Original Audio display show song titles if streaming from Amazon Music or Pandora, for example vs. local music files on the iPhone (iPod mode)?
I did see a few competitive and cheaper products now, but it seems they only display song title if playing via apple music local files.

Thank you,

Doug

Appreciate the writeup.
Does the Original Audio display show song titles if streaming from Amazon Music or Pandora, for example vs. local music files on the iPhone (iPod mode)?
I did see a few competitive and cheaper products now, but it seems they only display song title if playing via apple music local files.

Thank you,

Doug
I just installed the SL3B-L in my 2009 LX. It displays artist and song name from Spotify. My steering wheel controls work fine too. My only problem was streaming audio from YouTubeTV. I like to listen to the news in the mornings, and this threw the unit way off. It displayed a no disc message and flashed non stop.

thank you for the reply

Nows the easy part - Hook your battery negative cable back up and reference the instructions for testing your new Bluetooth connection. Theres three different modes to set the two toggles on the SL3b - I went with MP3 mode which is left toggle down and the right switch one up. Make sure your phone recognizes the new device and you're in.
Music will be on your cars CD mode - song artist and song name text will read out on the CD mode screen as well

View attachment 1233855
I know this is a rather old thread, but I cant get this to work on my 06 LC. Trying for the above mode, but no display on the screen. It plays through control of the iphone but there's a ton of static on when playing it. Frustrating

Anyone have the problem where the track/artist sometimes doesn't display and you can't change the track? Seems to happen randomly 10-20% of the time, and it either requires toggling Bluetooth on your phone, or sometimes seems to require restarting the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom