Vais Technology SL3b Bluetooth interface adapter install for 08 lc200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For streaming music via Bluetooth this is a nice adapter
$229.99 was the cost - Its worth it
Parts and pcs needs:
Vias SL3b adapter and wiring harness / with Toyota connections - its a clean install
auto trim removal kit - Harbor freight
bolt / screw holder - Harbor freight
10mm socket
USB to iPhone cable - Walmart
heavy duty velcro - Walmart
zip tie
beverage of choice - local wine and spirits shop
Install took me 2 1/2 hours - wasn't in a rush (lots of plastic clips) and there was no install directions / only adapter settings set up.

IMG_9423.JPG

IMG_9424.JPG

Step#1 disconnect the negative battery cable.
The side air vents were next to tackle. The trim tools were awesome for these tight tolerance areas and there was no scratching or marring. Unplug the cable to each air vent and set them off to the side

IMG_9427.JPG

IMG_9428.JPG

IMG_9429.JPG

Last edited:
Now the center speaker cover - work your tool, prying, all the way around the speaker cover and it'll pop up nice and easy.
I just pushed it out of the way against the windshield - didn't bother to unplug it. removing that his will expose 2 of the 4 bolts holding the NAV to a bracket - removes those.

IMG_9437.JPG

IMG_9438.JPG

You'll need to remove the leather looking knee pads on either side of the center console. Pry and those just pop off.
Doing that will expose a bolt you need to remove in order to get to the last two bolts holding the NAV unit in place and the bolts holding the radio in place.

IMG_9444.JPG

IMG_9446.JPG

IMG_9448.JPG

IMG_9450.JPG

IMG_9449.JPG

Last edited:
Once you've removed the last two bolts for the NAV pull it out and go ahead and disconnect the wiring harness on the back x 5 plugs - all different sizes - push clip retention style
Next remove two hex head screws (also 10mm) and 10mm bolts for the radio unit and pull that out.

IMG_9455.JPG

IMG_9456.JPG

Last edited:
Pictured above is the backside of the radio unit - has 4 plugs coming from the wiring harness - unplug the middle one on the top row.
In that now vacant radio plug space insert the same size connector thats on the VAIS wiring loom.
Theres two more connectors coming off the VAIS wiring loom: 1 goes into the back to the SL3b and the other is for you to plug the USB (mentioned early / separate purchase) into for charging only.

IMG_9457.JPG

IMG_9453.JPG

IMG_9454.JPG

IMG_9456.JPG

Last edited:
Run your charging cable / USB to iPhone cable down behind the center stack and exit at your desire.
Mines coming out underneath the 12 volt sockets by the ash tray. I used and rat tail file to make a small radius to allow the cable to slip through (in and out - no jokes) without getting in a pinch or scrapping the casing.

IMG_9466.JPG

Nows the easy part - Hook your battery negative cable back up and reference the instructions for testing your new Bluetooth connection. Theres three different modes to set the two toggles on the SL3b - I went with MP3 mode which is left toggle down and the right switch one up. Make sure your phone recognizes the new device and you're in.
Music will be on your cars CD mode - song artist and song name text will read out on the CD mode screen as well

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Velcro the back of your new device and a spot under the top center speaker. I also put some thick foam tape around the edges of the new device so no rattles would occur in its new mounting place.
Zip tie your excess wire nice a neat and tuck it away
IMG_9461.JPG

IMG_9462.JPG

Last edited:
Now just reverse order of how you took everything apart and try not to end up with leftovers
Enjoy being current now and stream away

IMG_9463.JPG

Bud, how do you find the sound quality? been looking for this kit for ages! i hope you enjoy the new kit :)
I'm not sure if the sound quality is any different.
It's nice to not have an aux line draped over my console. The steering wheel controls are a nice feature. All in all I'm happy. Love music and love a non-cluttered vehicle.

Thanx for the detailed write-up. You are a heck of an asset to this forum!

thanks man

Nicely done! Thanks for the detailed write up!

@Romer - any chance on getting this docked into the FAQ list for future buyers of 08's?
thanks

I have an 08 as well. Add this to the list!
Thanks @Willy beamin !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom