Upgrading brakes for more stopping power. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone here have any experience with upgrading their brakes? I’ve seen this kit on SDHQ that is quite expensive. Does anyone have real world driving experience with this kit? Any other brake mods or upgrades?

Does anyone here have any experience with upgrading their brakes? I’ve seen this kit on SDHQ that is quite expensive. Does anyone have real world driving experience with this kit? Any other brake mods or upgrades?

I would love a true BBK one day, but i drive a bit weird so im hard on my brakes.

Lots and lots of tundra and ‘16+ upgrades on the forum.

What truck you got?

What year is your 200? Different years have different size brakes.

Plenty of braking from the following: 2016+ front calipers, TRD Tundra/Stoptech sport pads, Toyota rotors, and SDHQ brake lines (optional).

This is not a sports car. It doesn't need fancy brakes.

21’ 200 series with about 1200lbs constant added weight
Not unusual around here.

My rig is loaded heavy too - tjm steel bullbar, 12k warn winch, dissent rear bumper, trekboxx cargo boxes and second row boxes, gamiviti roof rack, and when I go on trips, national luna fridge, alucab rtt ,three jerry cans of gas/water, tools, spares, cooking gear, etc.

I am running EBC rotors, EBC orange pads and SDHQ braided lines. Definitely a noticeable difference in braking performance. Added benefit is that modulation is improved as well.

at least after chasing this problem on my 100 for years, it was the combo of SS lines, new OEM calipers and DBA pads, similar to what @CharlieS mentions.

I'll be doing the same on the 200 once the current set of pads and rotors need service.

One thing to be watchful for on the BBKs is the clearance requirements for the calipers - often requires larger wheel diameters. Not sure of the situation here on the 200 exactly, but something to do the math on.

Plenty of braking from the following: 2016+ front calipers, TRD Tundra/Stoptech sport pads, Toyota rotors, and SDHQ brake lines (optional).

This is not a sports car. It doesn't need fancy brakes.
Do these Tundra pads fit the 200 series?

Here’s what my guy put on American made
Adaptive One Coated Premium Brake Rotors
Adaptive One Premium Ceramic Brake Pads

21’ 200 series with about 1200lbs constant added weight

My 2 cents for a ‘21, do aggressive pad slap and decide from there. A whole lot left on the table with stock pads on ‘16+s.

I am running EBC rotors, EBC orange pads and SDHQ braided lines. Definitely a noticeable difference in braking performance. Added benefit is that modulation is improved as well.

Very pleased with my EBC setup, i have some intermittent chirping in the back (i have yet to disassemble to figure out) and i can get squeal on very very light friction with my yellow pads when the rotors are hot but thats it. Otherwise fantastic thus far.

They even make a yellow stuff “truck” pad now.

I will say the cheap stoptech lines I put in are already showing wear up front. Not happy with that.

Last edited:
Here’s what my guy put on American made
Adaptive One Coated Premium Brake Rotors
Adaptive One Premium Ceramic Brake Pads
I've had mixed results with Adaptive One. idk that they're American made (unfortunately), but can say I have had some that lasted a LONG time (f150) and some that lasted a year driving 20k (Honda Odyssey).

This is assuming they are the same product that came from NAPA or similar.

The Z36 brake upgrade was great for me. Very noticeable difference. No more brake fade under heavy braking. Much more confident stopping power, especially noticeable when towing or loaded heavy:

The Z36 brake upgrade was great for me. Very noticeable difference. No more brake fade under heavy braking. Much more confident stopping power, especially noticeable when towing or loaded heavy:

And here is an updated look at them after about 20 months of use

Looks like you have an extra set of anti rattle springs in your setup than I've seen before. There's usually only one on the bottom in my experience. Do they help with noise or something?

Also, you seem to like these rotors, but I'd encourage you to keep a close eye on them since the holes create stress risers that can turn into cracks. It's a significant issue in some high performance circles.

From my research here on Mud, I decided to go with DBA Rotors and Hawk pads - I've only towed a 5x8 utility trailer with our 5 dirt bikes thus far.
For anyone looking: Front DBA Rotors - Part # 42724S / Rear Part # 42723S
Ordered from Ken at KNS Brakes in NC - good guy to talk to and knowledgeable about anything brake related

In my opinion/use, these are a major upgrade from stock, and after about 20k miles - still rock solid, no issues and the only nit pick I'd have is the brake dust on the front wheels quickly returns after washing.

dba T3.jpg

20210909_123545_resized.jpg

Just curious, anyone has ran into issues with clearance for the calipers running the tundra front rotors? Planning on going down to 17’s from the 20’s currently on my Lx

It is time to update the front brakes on my '19 - these are the part #'s I've found for an EBC 'Stage 9' equivalent.

1704228175785.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom