Upgrade to Anti-Lock Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks for the update.
I think most 80 owners have played with their brakes enough that everyone has a different opinion and experience.
with that said, it sounds like a functioning ABS would make your ride alot safer. hopefully the system is already installed and you're just missing out on a fuse.

OK, so a little more info for those that don't think I know how to brake, first I am 57 years old and have been offroading and building offroad rigs for 20 years. This issue didn't really start till I replaced the front brakes and rotors, the new ones can lock up without much brake petal pressure if you are stepping on it real fast. If I have time, yes, applying the brakes in a gradual way stops the vechile without issue. The thing is if the idiot in front of me with his 2018 fancy car steps on his brakes fast, I am taking him out, hopefully not his life.

Now the smart answer I have read is the VSPV adjustment, and that may be what I need, or just go back to putting on the old rotors and brakes. I will read up on VSPV adjustment and see what I can do before going back to the old stuff and before selling my Cruiser. The thing is it is not my safety I am concerned about, it's the person in front of me.

For those asking for pictures under my hood, what specifically do you want me to take photos of.

THanks for all your responses, I do appreciate it.

For those asking for pictures under my hood, what specifically do you want me to take photos of.

A picture of your Driver Side fender would show your ABS module ( if it was installed.) maybe it's installed, but just disabled.

Here are some photos of under the hood.
%DHZ1zdDT%ij2lKDgTUb%Q.jpg
+eeEdLiUS3GXLFyT1IUydQ.jpg
mHTkcLYKSKKROHDMq8nKLA.jpg

I am taking it the last picture is the LSPV?

Last edited:
Your second picture would have been a great shot of your ABS, if it were installed. :(

I am taking it the last picture is the VSPV?

i think your best bet is to play around with your LSPV. start by adjusting the end of the rod ( attached to the frame near your spare tire mount) all the way up, then all the way down. Hopefully you can feel a difference in the braking between the two settings. the LSPV itself can be slid up and down on it's mount for further adjustment, but those bolts are usually a PITA, be patient with them.

enjoy your weekend!

Yup, no ABS. I did not mean to offend. I just think that if you can lock 'em up, your brakes are working better than most of us.

Try adjusting the LSPV (the gizmo in your last picture) by lowering the gizmo or raising the arm that is attached to the axle. Many of us have removed the LSPV alltogether or disabled it by cutting the arm and fixing it in the "all the way up" position. AKA the LCP adjustment method Lspv optimal height

I'm not an 80 owner... but to my eye that brake booster doesn't have a Toyota look/shape/color to it (not to mention the clamps on the vacuum line feeding it). Replacement unit that doesn't match specs with the rest of the system? Maybe the brakes are over-boosted and lack finesse in the pedal?

Last edited:
booster looks OK to me. May be aftermarket replacement, but many of us are running them without any problems. Booster problems would affect pedal pressure, not braking differences between different tires.

Booster is from Autozone, 2nd one, didn't get any power assist from the first one. Have taken the Cruiser to BrakePlus and had a flush also. So I will try and play around with adjusting the LSVP, worse comes to worse, I will take it to Camelback Toyota before selling it.

Adjusted the LSVP all the way to the top and hit the brakes pretty hard today without lockup, but wasn't a panic stop, will have to try that on non-busy street within the next day or two.

Update, adjusted LSVP all the way to the top, also replaced front pads with medium grade Autozone pads and so far have not been able to lock up brakes. Still doesn't stop on a dime (which these never do) but does stop without skidding. Feeling a little better at this point. Will continue to play around to dial everything in right.

Not all 94's have/had the ABS system I had a 10/94 build that had rear drums and small disc front and no ABS
I’ve heard of non-abs 93’s but not ‘94 US models.

Update, after making the changes mentioned above, I still have not been able to lock up the brakes. But sad to say, I have purchased another SUV (Lincoln Navigator L) and will need to sell this one. Shame as Camelback Toyota rebuilt the top half of engine and it's good to go for another 200K miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom