Updated SLEE Rear Bumper for 2019 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like it's live! 👏👏👏

That's great that Slee is still investing in making new products for the 80 Series. I hope many other vendors continue to do so for years. Cheers to Christo and his team. I'm sure many people contributed to this wonderful new bumper.

Yeah, no doubt it's fantastic, and I'm sure there's good thought into the evolution of the design. It would be nice to know what those thoughts were. Maybe this new ladder design is going to be standard across all of their bumpers. That would make sense if it eased production. The latch looks quite a bit nicer than the old one.

Overall, I do prefer the look of the former model on an 80, but if this one performs better, is stonger, or lighter or has other benefits, then that's what matters.

The Rotopax/Maxtrax behind the tire is a really nice improvement. Also putting the locking pins in the center with a better latch is nice.

That is a really good looking bumper. Really digging the more modern look with the sharper edges but $3400 before shipping. I would rather go with the Delta VS bumper or the 4x4labs rear bumper for that matter.

@koifish thanks for the post! I’ll try my best to answer some of the design evolution questions.

Our goals here were to lightly refresh the classic design, add value through functionality, and drive consistency across our bumpers new and old.

Aesthetics:

We kept the tube side protection for functionality and to keep some of the classic lines of the bumper. We also wanted to keep the flow consistent front to back with our front bumper “ The Short Bus.” The rest of the updating was focused on a balance of contemporary design and upgraded functionality.

The Main Shell:

The updated swing arms and latch allowed us to move the pivot closer to the truck. That allowed us to slice off the corner of the main shell. Slicing off the corner makes for a more elegant transition from the wing to the rear of the bumper shell and adds more “all around” clearance to the bumper.

The Swing Arms:

The arms and uprights aesthetics were driven by functionality, manufacturability and the desire to make the bumper look and feel a bit more contemporary. We’ve riddled the uprights with standard spaced holes to make it easier for our customers to add their own custom bracketry. Also, having a consistent platform allows us to sell the same accessories across all of our bumpers without making the bumper itself feel cookie cutter. Each swing arm and bumper shell is still tailored to the lines of the truck. Kudos to @Markuson for showing us how versatile it can be over in the 200’s section. Insta-Table Project DONE :)

The New Latch:

KISS. We wanted to work with a concept that we knew well and we needed to be able to get this done with one hand. The Slee latch is built for a long service life in mind and provide a ton of clamping force, all without increasing the effort to latch. The latch is also ergonomically designed so you are pushing down or pulling up to latch/unlatch. Just in case things go sideways, we’ve added a supplementary locking pin for each swing arm and positioned the struts so that they help keep things closed as much as they aid in opening. The pins are located adjacent the latch, so no more reaching around the tire to unlock the pin. The latch is incredibly quick and straight forward to adjust.

Lock-open system:

We custom order gas struts that incorporate a lockout mechanism. The mechanism is position in an easy to reach area when closing a swing arm. The lockout mechanism is also conveniently removable when the swingarms are opened primarily on level surfaces. Removing the lockout is great for our trucks that serve soccer duty more often than trail duty.

Happy to answer any tech questions you all may have

Hope you all enjoy our labor of love!

Cheers!

SOK1272-03.JPG

SOK1272-06.JPG

SOK1272-07.JPG

SOK1272-08.JPG

SOK1272-04.JPG

Have had my old style Slee bumper for over 8 years and it has more than paid for itself. Rear ended twice by other vehicles that totaled their car/truck and dropped it on uncountable rocks and ledges. Just had it re-powdercoated and looks new.

Dig the new design and would drop the $$$ again.

That is classy 😎

Mine is serial number 041. Fitted fall 2003.

@koifish thanks for the post! I’ll try my best to answer some of the design evolution questions.

Our goals here were to lightly refresh the classic design, add value through functionality, and drive consistency across our bumpers new and old.

Aesthetics:

We kept the tube side protection for functionality and to keep some of the classic lines of the bumper. We also wanted to keep the flow consistent front to back with our front bumper “ The Short Bus.” The rest of the updating was focused on a balance of contemporary design and upgraded functionality.

The Main Shell:

The updated swing arms and latch allowed us to move the pivot closer to the truck. That allowed us to slice off the corner of the main shell. Slicing off the corner makes for a more elegant transition from the wing to the rear of the bumper shell and adds more “all around” clearance to the bumper.

The Swing Arms:

The arms and uprights aesthetics were driven by functionality, manufacturability and the desire to make the bumper look and feel a bit more contemporary. We’ve riddled the uprights with standard spaced holes to make it easier for our customers to add their own custom bracketry. Also, having a consistent platform allows us to sell the same accessories across all of our bumpers without making the bumper itself feel cookie cutter. Each swing arm and bumper shell is still tailored to the lines of the truck. Kudos to @Markuson for showing us how versatile it can be over in the 200’s section. Insta-Table Project DONE :)

The New Latch:

KISS. We wanted to work with a concept that we knew well and we needed to be able to get this done with one hand. The Slee latch is built for a long service life in mind and provide a ton of clamping force, all without increasing the effort to latch. The latch is also ergonomically designed so you are pushing down or pulling up to latch/unlatch. Just in case things go sideways, we’ve added a supplementary locking pin for each swing arm and positioned the struts so that they help keep things closed as much as they aid in opening. The pins are located adjacent the latch, so no more reaching around the tire to unlock the pin. The latch is incredibly quick and straight forward to adjust.

Lock-open system:

We custom order gas struts that incorporate a lockout mechanism. The mechanism is position in an easy to reach area when closing a swing arm. The lockout mechanism is also conveniently removable when the swingarms are opened primarily on level surfaces. Removing the lockout is great for our trucks that serve soccer duty more often than trail duty.

Happy to answer any tech questions you all may have

Hope you all enjoy our labor of love!

Cheers!

View attachment 1911005

View attachment 1911007

View attachment 1911008

View attachment 1911009

View attachment 1911011
Very excited about the new design! The latches look incredible but the fact that spindles are that much closer is even cooler. Is the hitch receiver the same design? And is it an option or on all?

Talked with them 2 weeks ago when i ordered spindle grease tool and they said 2020 before available. Must have changed their minds

Any plans for a non swingout variant of the bumper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom