Unobtainium (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As a machinist I am impressed with the quality and attention to detail of this, Roger has stepped it up again!! Sadly, WAY out of my budget..............Looks like that one will be for the Icon crowd.
Thank you for the complement praising the idea and the master-craftsmanship of the spare wheel hinge pin upgrade.
Toyota probably had various hinge solutions on its design desk back in the day and one of the possible reasons they choose that "weld in" type is for keeping it economical.
If large quantities were made probably in china it would've been less valuable and cost less.. but the purpose of this upgrade is not economic. Toyota -very well- has already made the most economic solution, noone reported a carrier falling off its hinge, yet.. However, our upgrade solution is for the purpose of the best possible use of the spare wheel carrier, unlimited for a lifetime without further maintenance other than greasing.

Last edited:
@koxfarm yes, your design is very well thought out! I do like it:)

Ok, at last the front floor mat is now available!

IMG_2101_1024x1024.JPG

Will the manufacturer make these for you in different width and offsets for say... an 80
You mean like this? Not my project, but @koxfarm can tell you more about it

View attachment 1449563
Thank's Roger :) for pulling the curtain off koxfarms inner sanctum..well this is actually the semi-stock tubeless rims in progress:
Currently experimenting with 16x7 and 16x8 as those are the ideal width recommended for 30.5" to 33.5" wheels keeping the tyre wall fairly straight. The stock offset on the 40' or 60' series are identical with approx 3.5 to 3 3/4 backspace. Tipically the 15" rims can't go more than 3.5" backspace as the steering rod joint will hit the rim. However with 16" rims I have made two backspace variants 3.5" stock and 4".
This is for keeping the tyres within the fenders to comply with some states roadworthy code. Also its less strain on the cv joints if the wheels kept closer to centreline.
The photo Roger attached is the second phase of the project.. drill jig template to keep clips rivet hole pattern uniform.
These rims sandblasted, powder coated and the front is sprayed to choice of black, 012 white, or 1447 Gray.
Semi-stock rims will feature a fine blend of retro oem style and modern engineering..

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG

IMG_2748.JPG

Racer65 Are there any concerns about wheel clearance if the lift is only 2 1/2" and no other suspension modifications have been made?

That's my article on the wheels (thanks for the link Racer65!).

There are zero clearance issues with 235/85 x 16 tires on an FJ40 with OME suspension. It really is a perfect all-around tire size for the vehicle.

There are zero clearance issues with 235/85 x 16 tires on an FJ40 with OME suspension. It really is a perfect all-around tire size for the vehicle.
That size converted equals to approx 31.7" wheel. The oem splitrims were 7.5R16 which equates to 31". The 0.7" increase in OD is about to negligeable so yes I agree w you however (in my opinion) 235 should really be 256 to have slightly wider road grip.

@Racer65 , ordered wheels on 4/27 and they are supposed to be delivered Friday! That is fast coming all the way from Japan to SC. Thanks.
I just checked the status and it's looking good. Already passed through Customs and out of Memphis. Having done this a few times, the key is to carefully prepare the paperwork so that DOT and Customs have all the information they need.

Where you been? I've been advocating them since I installed my first set in 1994.

My friend @Bomar gave me a bag of old parts the other day. In it there was a FJ 62 Grommet that is used as an auto tranny shift lever guide
IMG_6344.JPG

@beno looked up the apps...

IMG_6352.PNG

Turns out it fits perfectly into the hole where the adjustment screw goes on the parking brake on the one-piece transfer case.

That grommet is long D.C.

Turns out it fits perfectly into the hole where the adjustment screw goes on the parking brake on the one-piece transfer case.

That grommet is long D.C.
do you mean the rubber cover for the adjuster cam? that's still available
diag_AGUSlz.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom