Unobtainium (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Racer65 my 40 is a 3/73, here's a pic...
20170221_181541.jpg

Very interesting... I did not know this

I found it in a very old Toyota Trails mag, written by our own Jim C.

the casting is not cheap(was $300 when I did it now about $500) Only the 79 casting is still around, but its the same as the rest, used it on my 82

i gathered all the bits( and a new seal kit) and sent them to Redhead Gear in Seattle, told the owner what I was doing, he was skeptical.......he called the next day and said "ill be darned, it worked just like you said"

of course I found 2 complete OEM set ups not long after and stashed away a few OEM castings ;)

I am using this method for OEM power steering on my build. Courtesy of Jim C, Beno and West TX Offroad. West TX sent adaptors to convert the TEQ fittings to AN -6 fittings.

20160608_132237.jpg
20160701_163257.jpg
20160608_133922.jpg

Only (real) difference between a fj40 ps box and a solid axle mini truck box is the built in mount(on 40) which can be done much cheaper using one of the mini truck adapter mounts sold. It all depends on budget, desire or need to be stock.

The stock cooler(seems like the hardest part of OEM to find) is just a tube that runs under the radiator, in place a small trany or PS cooler works inplace.

How about a run of the "hard to match" pewter trim paint in a rattle can? Cruiser Corps is out UFN and CCoT just has powder.

Although, this could be ye-olde-can-o-worms with various slight factory tint differences over the years.

Heck, could even toss in the correct yellow for the jacks. Which would also be a can-o-worms....

Touch Up Paint and accessories | AutomotiveTouchup can put any automotive color in an aerosol can or quart, touchup bottle. I used them on the 40 (yellow 532) and it matched amazingly well. Just provide them the Toyota paint code. Spray can was about $20 plus shipping.

Not sure, did they ever make PS for RH 40s and minitruck?

Yes. Sorry, I meant for this part number this method is for LHD. I.e. 44107-26030 even without the guts is still strictly an LHD steering box.

IIRC they drive on the left side in Japan.

Left side of the road, right side of the vehicle, hence RHD in Japan.

Yes. Sorry, I meant for this part number this method is for LHD. I.e. 44107-26030 even without the guts is still strictly an LHD steering box.

Left side of the road, right side of the vehicle, hence RHD in Japan.
That is why you would expect them to produce a RHD powersteering before they create a LHD version.

How much does it cost altogether including the guts of the box?

OEM Housing : $500
Mini Donor: $185
West TX Offroad Rebuild : $140
Early Column Mod Parts : $100
Shipping parts all over the CONUS $150

Plus whatever is decided for power steering pump and mount. The decision to keep my early air cleaner made things a little more difficult for the pump, I decided to use a Volvo Sag pump mounted into a modified Mark's Offroad bracket.

I've seen a few OEM 40 boxes go in the $800 to $1000 range depending on condition. The EPS option wasn't on the radar when I sourced parts but that looks like a viable option as well. I would have went 60 PS if I had to hack the pedastal off of the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom