Unobtainium (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How about Aisin/ASCO long body hubs?

FINALLY ordered my Brake Booster for the 1977 FJ-40. Thanks!

No more rattling cruisers on US roads ..
Roger has been taking on the journey to help as exclusive distributor of this true badass spare wheel hinge upgrade. With bulk shipping and automated manufacturing the intro price is coming down to a real badass value for the product.

Spare Wheel Carrier Pin Upgrade Kit for Land Cruiser FJ40

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2068.JPG

IMG_2075.JPG

that looks about as BUILT as it gets for a 40 year old tube carrier. gorgeous.

the real problem is trying to get the old pins out without a press for all of us regular folk......

that looks about as BUILT as it gets for a 40 year old tube carrier. gorgeous.

the real problem is trying to get the old pins out without a press for all of us regular folk......
Its not that diffucult.. I am a very regular guy not a mechanic or anything like that and all you need is a vice an electric drill even a dremel and a hammer/chisel to drive the pin out.
Your patience is the most important factor here, you need slowly and carefully drill/mill the spotweld. Luckily its not a full weld its just a spot at one side only so its not hard.
No need for a hydraulic press, actual fact the carrier frame is an awkward shape and wouldn't fit most in most press.
Once your pins out the new goes in like hand in a glove goes in with a soft head deadblow. The large bottom nut will help set the tension to your preferred swing adjustment of your carrier. I set mine firm so the swing won't fall back when my both doors open...it works great!

a weld?! well theres the key. i somehow never noticed the plug weld. ill have to look at that. i guess thats why it didnt budge with a 3# sledge. thanks!

a weld?! well theres the key. i somehow never noticed the plug weld. ill have to look at that. i guess thats why it didnt budge with a 3# sledge. thanks!
There is a small spot weld at the recess of the bottom of both pins. All you need is slowly drive your drill or mill at that inner recess around and around until you shave the weld. Dont go crazy on the inner edge wall of the bracket. the old pin can be sacrificed but the bracket length must be kept.

@Racer65 Would that work on the older style, box shaped tire carrier? I see you have the more recent tube style carrier pictured.

As a machinist I am impressed with the quality and attention to detail of this, Roger has stepped it up again!! Sadly, WAY out of my budget..............Looks like that one will be for the Icon crowd.

Last edited:
Just want to share this story written by a customer who purchased the 16" wheels:
The Holy Grail of FJ40 wheels and tires?

Terrific website with lots of great stories, including several Cruiser articles.

@Racer65 that isn't fair. Just when I had forgotten about the 16" wheel you had to post that link with pictures and everything. I have got to have some. They look perfect.

Racer65 Are there any concerns about wheel clearance if the lift is only 2 1/2" and no other suspension modifications have been made?

Shouldn't be I run 33's on stock 15's and a 2.5" lift with no issues. The setup documented in the story above are smaller diameter, just under 32" per the tire converters online.

I think that was for his :princess: to see.........

@Racer65 any consideration in doing the defrost hoses from the heater unit up to the defrost outlets on these 40's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom