Undecided on tires....Need MUD Feed Back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a sort of a continuation from the "Weekend" thread. I recently got new Wheels (FN Five Star 16' Bronze) and I am undecided of what tires to get. I have my old tires on now (Nitto Dura Grabbers). They have been fine so far but I want something new. I would like some opinion's and suggestions. Here is what I am looking for.

*I want a M/T tire
*I am into performance as well as looks (I know, I know!) So, I don't like the Bubble look if I can avoid it.
*I haven't decided on 315, 285's or staying with 305's. I really don't want to re-gear
*Road noise is not a concern for me

Cruiser2.jpg

Cruiser.jpg

Last edited:
I originally decided on KM2s over MTRs to get the stronger side walls.. but a couple years later I'll be ditching them and getting MTRs because their advantage in ice/snow is becoming more important as I look at doing more big ski trips in my cruiser.

I originally decided on KM2s over MTRs to get the stronger side walls.. but a couple years later I'll be ditching them and getting MTRs because their advantage in ice/snow is becoming more important as I look at doing more big ski trips in my cruiser.
Snow the MTR is fine. i don't like mine on the ice at all.

I have the 315 DynaPro M/T's. I love them! prob 10k miles and barely show any ware. they have gotten me everywhere I want to go! especially around all the stuck Jeeps.
View attachment 1412815

ya..I like the look of the Hankooks but did not know anything about quality or performance.

Anybody have any feedback on the Copper Discover MPT's?

Being that you're in Orange County, I'd recommend Toyo MT. Also the BFG and Coopers and Nittos are all great tires.

That thing looks like it's on racing slicks :eek:

Nitto Dura Gabbers. I only got them because i got a hell of a deal but they have been a F****n great tire to my surprise. Off road handling is way better than i expected....Oh ya, and they are for sale!! haha...

Being that you're in Orange County, I'd recommend Toyo MT. Also the BFG and Coopers and Nittos are all great tires.

What tires are you running on yours?

Any idea whether they're worse than KM2s on ice?
Personally no. BUT my friend was running KO2 MT's (he like in deep snow, not sure how he felt on ice) and went to the MTRs at the same time as myself. He dumped them and went with the KO2 AT's and prefers them. Im not sure what to do with mine yet. I do like the tire in a lot cases.... os not saying they are bad choice. Just a choice of what you want them for.

315 Cooper STT Pros here. Really nice ride and grippy in mud.

I had the Hankook Dynapro MT previously. They were great for the first 20,000 miles. Then they started to wear FAST, with cupping, and an uneven pattern. Rotating the tires didn't help and as they got older, the rubber compound started to get hard.

beach.jpg

Think again. Just went snownwheeling and
my very new MTR's are now on CL. I will try out a set of Cooper STT Pro in 37. If you want hard pack and ice performance buy
Duratracs. Actually, for what you will encounter on the road to a ski resort a tire like the Bridgestone Blizzak would be best. In a perfect world we would have three sets of tires.
I never ran Coopers but I read good things plus made in the USA and the their price is more attractive than GY and BFG.

315 Cooper STT Pros here. Really nice ride and grippy in mud.

I had the Hankook Dynapro MT previously. They were great for the first 20,000 miles. Then they started to wear FAST, with cupping, and an uneven pattern. Rotating the tires didn't help and as they got older, the rubber compound started to get hard.

View attachment 1412970
Have you run the STT Pro's in snow or ice?

Have you run the STT Pro's in snow or ice?
Snow no. Ice yes but no tire does well with ice unless they are studded.
BTW, the Hankooks have holes for studs.

I have a friend in Arizona that has experienced the STT Pros in snow and he said they did great.

Any idea whether they're worse than KM2s on ice?
Hard packed snow and ice require lots of sipes and surface area, neither of which are a feature of MT's.

This is a sort of a continuation from the "Weekend" thread. I recently got new Wheels (FN Five Star 16' Bronze) and I am undecided of what tires to get. I have my old tires on now (Nitto Dura Grabbers). They have been fine so far but I want something new. I would like some opinion's and suggestions. Here is what I am looking for.

*I want a M/T tire
*I am into performance as well as looks (I know, I know!) So, I don't like the Bubble look if I can avoid it.
*I haven't decided on 315, 285's or staying with 305's. I really don't want to re-gear
*Road noise is not a concern for me

View attachment 1412806

View attachment 1412807

Which suspension you have? inches? Just curious. And I would go 315 tires. I like Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ

Hard packed snow and ice require lots of sipes and surface area, neither of which are a feature of MT's.

Sections of the tread on a MTR do seem to have much smaller blocks than KM2s. That's what seemed to lend credence to the idea that they were better in those conditions.. oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom