Update on my utilitarian build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You guys helped me out along the way with all my questions on springs, shocks, rim offset vs backspace, castor adjustments and so much more. My main goal was to make my rig more utilitarian. I didn't want it to do anything more then it already does, I just wanted to do it easier. I started collecting parts in October and installed everything the last week of january. I pieced it all together on eBay and it all worked out great. Even though I ran into a few "nay-sayers". I'm happy with all of my purchases. I did have to send back my first spring purchase but I'm glad I had you guys to walk me through it. (accidentally bought J-springs) just like with anything I got a lot of "opinions" and I took them all to heart. This is my second suspension I have put in the cruiser. Factory to OME stock ride and this set-up. I didn't want to go too high. Just 2inches more than I had and get the axles off the ground.

Springs- I went with the OME850/860. I wanted it to sit level and work well with my travel weight and it does. No stink bug, no spacers and it's very soft and plush. 2.0" up front and 1.75 in the rear (from OME stock ride that gave me 1" all around with spacers) this isnot using airbags to level or anything.

Air Ride- I put air bags in the rear springs to compensate for the low spring rate. Once per month for maybe 5 months I tow a 5k travel trailer and a fully loaded cruiser about 40 miles round trip to our camp.

Shocks- another hard choice. I really wanted an adjustable shock. But my choices where OME, Fox 2.0, Rancho XL. And Bilstiens that I didn't really look into much. I always leaned towards the XL's because they where adjustable. Many said they where just nine worthless adjustments and stick with the OME because they are the best, and if your gonna be cheap then it's not worth it so buy Fox resi's and blah-blah. I went with the Rancho XL's. 9 different settings from soft to firm. They are GREAT! 9 would be great for towing. I run about 60psi and really rely on my suspension. 5/6 great for the road. Minamal body roll, still plush but keeps it planted to the road. (Felt very safe in the snow). Straight down to 1 for off road. Super soft. Like a trophy truck (haha, not really) I rallied through some rutts and it felt impressive. My buddy said the axles where just see-sawing the invite track. Felt good in the steering wheel and on the floor boards (my gauge). Would have been better if I ran normal psi of 16. I was at 21psi. And i know they will fade over the washboard tracks but i don't generally drive like that. Simply impressed and I'm glad I didn't go with a non-adjustable shock.

Dobinson bushings- I went with these adjustable castor bushings even though,, ahh never mind. Not the normal 0-2-3° but 0-2.5-3.5°. American made.... Came with instructions and good detailed photos. Fit perfect. Many said 2° just doesn't seem enough. I went with 2.5° and it drives better than my last set-up.

Vision Wheels- I had rattle canned black Factory aluminum rims. I like them. But i was just tired of painting them. With as much off road travel as I do they get buggered up pretty quick. I Was happy with plain steely rims but after lug nuts and center caps these rims I chose where better and cheaper and look great. Bonus: valve stems are tucked away, no outside wheel weights to get ripped off. Down side: rocks can get in from the top of the rear rim, but can't come out at the bottom. Very annoying sound. Only way to get them out is back in the river. But they look great! It was cheaper to stick with stock back space and offset and I'm glad I did.

Tires- wow. Where it all started and my hardest choice. I went with Milestar patagonia MT's. I was only looking for aggressive tires less the $800. I had about 5 to choose from and became obsessed with watch videos and reading reviews. It was my last purchase. And at the end it came down to "what tire is made in America? Okay, I'll take that one. Anyway, I went from a 31" good year Kevlar to a 33" MT. I was worried about weight and rotating size. I really wanted a 35 but didn't want to regear or live with even less power than I all ready have. Part of me is a bearded, tattoed little bitch because I should have went with the 35's. Good tires. Dig well, good sidewall traction, they air down nice. I did not notice any loss of power on-road, but I'm sure I will when I pull the camper and I stayed in 4wheel low a little longer off road but I still mainly used 2nd and 3rd gear.

Other things I did.
Flush tranny/filter, all new u-joints, (mix-matches, wanted all the same), all belts and all silicone coolant hoses, plus a coolant flush. Should have done thermostat but next time.

Price breakdown. Total was around $1900 not including maintenance parts.
Shocks $379
Springs $162x2
Bushings $80
Airlift $80
Wheels $370
Tires $728
Sorry so long, but many of you guys spent plenty of time PM'ing me and commenting on various posts and where a great help over the last for a months
Thank you ih8mud
More photos can be found on my instagram @landcruiserlife696

Screenshot_2017-01-29-20-13-37.png

FB_IMG_1485739083388.jpg

IMG_20170126_204354_898.jpg

IMG_20170129_103105_787.jpg

IMG_20170129_193447_196.jpg

Last edited:
beardedforlife wrote above, "Tires- wow. Where it all started and my hardest choice. I went with Milestar patagonia MT's. I was only looking for aggressive tires less the $800. I had about 5 to choose from and became obsessed with watch videos and reading reviews. It was my last purchase. And at the end it came down to "what tire is made in America? Okay, I'll take that one."

Just as an FYI Beardedforlife, sorry to tell you, but your new tires are not made in America, they are in fact made in Indonesia. How do i know this, i just bought 5 of these tires for my truck, and it's cast right into the tires sidewall "Made in Indonesia".

Yes. I did notice that. I've been meaning to update since I saw that when airing up but I just haven't. I was set back by this. If you check the website it specifies that they are American made by an American based company. The tires aren't the greatest. They lack siping. But not bad for the the price.

Ya, i looked at their web site too, i though great, I'm getting an American made tire for a good price. I do have to say i think their web site is a little misleading. They are an American run company, but if you read their site carefully, nowhere doesn't it say these tires are made in America. When the fed EX guy showed up, with my delivery from Wal Mart, I've got to admit i was a little disappointed, when i read made in Indonesia on the sidewall. Truth be told, I'll bet many of the tires made for big name manufacturers, are probably made overseas too. Oh well, for the price it's kind of hard to complain. I mean where can you get 5 heavy duty M/T tires, with free shipping, mounted, balanced, road hazard replacement, out the door for $905.00 dollars.

Ya, i looked at their web site too, i though great, I'm getting an American made tire for a good price. I do have to say i think their web site is a little misleading. They are an American run company, but if you read their site carefully, nowhere doesn't it say these tires are made in America. When the fed EX guy showed up, with my delivery from Wal Mart, I've got to admit i was a little disappointed, when i read made in Indonesia on the sidewall. Truth be told, I'll bet many of the tires made for big name manufacturers, are probably made overseas too. Oh well, for the price it's kind of hard to complain. I mean where can you get 5 heavy duty M/T tires, with free shipping, mounted, balanced, road hazard replacement, out the door for $905.00 dollars.

Yes. The price makes them really great. They are a beefy tire. might be misleading but at least they aren't a clone of other higher quality tires AND the size is true. Unlike another tire I had that was 1" shorter then specified. That's just crappy. Over all I'm happy with them. I think I still would have bought them knowing this.

Any mileage info on these tires? I was hoping to find an older post to see how the tires have worn over 20K-30K+ miles?

Any mileage info on these tires? I was hoping to find an older post to see how the tires have worn over 20K-30K+ miles?
Not from me. I don't do many miles. I don't thinking ive cleared 500 yet. Milestars do have a reputation for high mileage but I not much info on the Patagonia's

OK. Thanks. I want to find more info on these. For the price, it seems worth it. I just don't want them to get unbalanced and rigid after 10K.

OK. Thanks. I want to find more info on these. For the price, it seems worth it. I just don't want them to get unbalanced and rigid after 10K.
Same info I was Looking for. I was worried about them cupping with lower air pressure or chunking. Not much info on the web.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom