Ultra Gauge Mounting Alternative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to mount my Ultra Gauge somewhere else than in the windshield. I looked at the bracket and decided to try something different than what I have seen here. I used a punch to seperate the head from the long suction cup bracket. I then removed the storage thing above the radio and notched out the back so that the UG would fit through the back. I used some tape to reattach the piece I cut out on the back. The base of the head fits snuggly inside the storage pocket and holds the UG in an easy to see area and it is easy to access the buttons on the back.
20121016_174153.jpg
20121016_174227.jpg
20121016_174705.jpg

Some more pics of the UG mounted

Pictures showing the storage pocket cut out and of the UG mounted.
20121020_165715.jpg
20121020_165730.jpg
20121110_110658.jpg

UG alternative mounting

Picture of it mounted. Overall I am really happy with it mounted there. The stereo is still fully accessible. I ran the wire behind the dash over to the OBDII.
20121110_125713.jpg

Nice. Here's how I mounted mine:

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

Very nice! That pocket is stupid, pointless and I hate it. Don't even get me started on the over priced cup holder that can go into that location.
The suction cup on my UG is turning brown now so I think I will do this when I change out my head unit one of these weekends. :cheers:

nice solution, I wonder if this would work by simply drilling a hole in one of the square blanks? or the weight of the sg might cause the blank to pop off?

The Ultra Gauge is very, very light. The issue you'd run into would be routing the wire. Both ends are non-removable, so you need a large enough opening to slide either the OBDII connector or the Ultra Gauge.

nice solution, I wonder if this would work by simply drilling a hole in one of the square blanks? or the weight of the sg might cause the blank to pop off?

Like this? This is my 'temporary' solution.
IMG_1704.jpg

I thought about doing it in one of the blanks and I think it would have held up fine. I just wanted it located someplace that I could access it from either seat up front. Makes it more convenient for fuel fill ups and such.

image-3804829717.jpg

image-1403857873.jpg

I've got mine up by the rear view mirror. It works great, it's out of the way, and all of the slack in the cable is used
image-3804829717.jpg
image-1403857873.jpg

anymore details on the last pic on how you mounted it to the ashtray?

Took a flat piece of metal (about 6-7" long, maybe 1.5 inches wide) I had lying around and bent it at about a 60 degree angle. Then used 3M automotive double-sided tape to secure the metal bracket to the bottom of the ashtray. It's solid but it requires no drilling or permanent modification. The ashtray still slides in and out. Then I put some 3M Dual Lock (like a very rigid velcro) on the bracket to hold the Ultragauge on.

I might have preferred a slightly more upright angle, but the screen of the Ultragauge is only visible through a limited viewing range. If you put it down by the console like this, you have to angle it up slightly or the screen looks really washed out.

Also, whatever mounting solution you choose, you'll want to make sure you can get your fingers on the rear buttons easily. You'll be using those buttons a lot and it will be a pain if you cannot reach them easily or have to dismount the Ultragauge to access them.

I might have done what StucknKS did, but i had already used the little dash slot for my smartphone mount/CB mic holder.

Put mine where H.D. did, sorta.

Just bought the vertical mounting bracket at Ultragauge, which was like $7 or whatever, its just a 3M sticky pad, and stuck it on the vertical surface of the lower center console. Ran the wire behind the dash, and am happy with the result...

Just thought Id post this. I didnt want to drill holes or anything, and it took me maybe 15 mins total to remove the panels and run the wire.

20130321_185433_zps7e6d5635.jpg

I tried the 3m sticky tape thing, just kept coming off......

Little bit of brake cleaner and a scotch brite pad to prep the surface, then a drop of Krazy Glue on the sticky tape pad will hold it on for good. Make sure it fully bonds before adding any weight to it.

Little bit of brake cleaner and a scotch brite pad to prep the surface, then a drop of Krazy Glue on the sticky tape pad will hold it on for good. Make sure it fully bonds before adding any weight to it.

interesting! thx, going to try that......

Very cool. I'm still new to the LC and I miss the trip computer/etc in my other car when driving the cruiser so I'll be getting one of these little doodads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom