TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The story of the seat conversion falls under the heading "How I did things when I was single". I originally had the plan of never putting the hard top back on, wanting to be secure, and a 4 or 5 point harness was perfect for that. Fast forward to married with a 6 year old ... the seats are no longer that comfortable (i.e. I'm old), the driver seat does not pull forward enough for my wife to drive, the top is on, I'm tired of the harness, but I still want more than just a lap belt. For several months I was searching craigslist for something that looked like it would work. The ones I finally found came out of a Chrysler Sebring convertible.

20150506_140755.jpg

20150506_143730.jpg

20150506_144143.jpg

20150508_170507.jpg

20150508_191618.jpg

Last edited:
20150510_194427.jpg

20150510_194503.jpg

Last edited:
Rice,

Are you able to fit your legs between the seat and the steering wheel? I did a seat conversion in my '70 40 a couple of years ago and I had trouble finding a seat that did not require a smaller steering wheel. I ended up with seats from a Honda Prelude to keep the factory wheel. They sure did sit well compared to the stockers! The passenger seat had to sit a little taller than the driver just because of the tank. Not a huge issue.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, comfy seats. What are they out of?

I was a little slow on editing the pics .... seats came from a Sebring convertible.

Too much of a jeep connection there, Rice. Rip 'em out and start over.

Come to think of it, she did feel a little slower.

Rice,

Are you able to fit your legs between the seat and the steering wheel? I did a seat conversion in my '70 40 a couple of years ago and I had trouble finding a seat that did not require a smaller steering wheel. I ended up with seats from a Honda Prelude to keep the factory wheel. They sure did sit well compared to the stockers! The passenger seat had to sit a little taller than the driver just because of the tank. Not a huge issue.

Dave, it took me a while but finally did get them mounted low enough for an acceptable amount of clearance. The seats have a lot of up/down adjustability which helped. Final position has me driving with the seat adjusted all the way down.

Trivia question .... did all FJ40's have same size steering wheel even if they had factory power steering?

I know the steering wheels changed through the years from a center horn to the three small buttons. I've never measured to see if there was a difference in diameter between early and later ones. I do know that factory power steering made no difference in what wheel you got. All were the same from year to year independent of the power steering option.

I know the steering wheels changed through the years from a center horn to the three small buttons. I've never measured to see if there was a difference in diameter between early and later ones. I do know that factory power steering made no difference in what wheel you got. All were the same from year to year independent of the power steering option.

That was my guess. While I would like having a smaller wheel I'm not interested in giving up the Toyota wheel for a Grant or other type aftermarket. I feel as if I have to keep SOMETHING in there that still says Toyota.

That was my guess. While I would like having a smaller wheel I'm not interested in giving up the Toyota wheel for a Grant or other type aftermarket. I feel as if I have to keep SOMETHING in there that still says Toyota.

I used one from a early 90's 4runner. Very little mods required (just something for the horn contacts IIRC).

IMG_4815.JPG
IMG_4816.JPG
IMG_4817.JPG

It was grey / silver, and I used spray vinyl dye several years ago when I installed it. As you can see, it's time to recoat. Other than that, I am VERY happy with this wheel and Saginaw.

:beer: R

Adam had put a different wheel in the Crockpot when he and Johnny converted it to power steering. He said it was from a 4Runner but it looked way different than Ramon's. It was ugly and the signal cancelling posts were 90 degrees off so the turn signals didn't cancel unless you were really making a sharp turn. I pulled that wheel out and went back with the factory wheel. Ramon's looks like a good option... alot better than what I had anyway. Do the signals cancel?

Before:
S6301317.JPG

After:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416195163.325339.jpg

Last edited:
20150506_144143-jpg.1075230

What are going to do with the old seats? :)

20150506_144143-jpg.1075230

What are going to do with the old seats? :)

I wondered how long that would take. Selling them. Just don't have a clear idea of $$$ just yet. I did a quick look at stuff for sale here on mud and was shocked! This dude wanted $400 for the seats below. I have no intention of trying for $400 with mine. PM me your thoughts.

fj40 seats.jpg

I'll trade you a 8.5" orange steel punch for them. :D

PM on the way.

Motor and trannie out, waiting on 1 top rail and off to the blaster. And the help was laying down on the job, or I might be a lot further along!
DSC_0241.JPG
DSC_0243.JPG
DSC_0252.JPG

Here is why we all work on our own stuff :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom