Tuesday lifting help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I beg your pardon. I happen to think Da'40 is quite sexy in a bikini.

I beg your pardon. I happen to think Da'40 is quite sexy in a bikini.

mine doesn't have a bikini, so apparently Mike has seen the holes.:eek:

hey Jon, where's your derailed train pic.

This one? :D

train_derail.jpg

yep!
hehe.gif

Jon:

I may take you up on that, but I'm hoping that I can somehow squeeze in the time to get the soft top on (it needs the zippers replaced, and a few other easy jobs for a top shop)--the hardest part is coordinating to get some nutserts into the tub rails for the rear bows. Think we could get to it next Tuesday or Wednesday? I can certainly make a stop by your place to snag the tool and get a quick lesson on it...

I spent most of today cleaning/tapping holes, getting the wiring harness in, and bolting up all the hard to reach stuff. Doesn't look a whole lot different, but if that turbo were to show up tomorrow, I'm confident I'd take it for a spin...
today 2.jpg

today 3.jpg

today 1.jpg

For the record, don't ever buy a 79+ 40. not only is the square bezel ugly, the sheet metal thinner and more prone to rust, but getting the fuel tank in is positively AWFUL (it's done though). :bounce:

Dan
today 1.jpg
today 2.jpg
today 3.jpg

Dan,

I have a GIANT rivnut tool that you can borrow. It uses GIANT 3/8" 16 rivnuts.

Dan,

I have a GIANT rivnut tool that you can borrow. It uses GIANT 3/8" 16 rivnuts.

Does it do metric also?

As of today, the truck will have 4 SAE bolts holding the winch on and 10 7/16-20 bolts for seatbelts.

Kind of nice when you can definitively count all SAE hardware without breaking a sweat... ;)

I'm looking to put in M8x1.00 rivnuts into the lip of the tub, in a slightly curved portion. Think yours would handle that? I'll also need to use your soldering iron to terminate the 2M coax at some point, but I'm hoping to do that after it runs.

Update for today: turbo is not back yet, but the wiring is all plugged in, and everything except the gauge cluster and glovebox are installed inside the truck. If that turbo were here, I would have taken it for a spin around the neighborhood--no joke.

Dan

Does it do metric also?

As of today, the truck will have 4 SAE bolts holding the winch on and 10 7/16-20 bolts for seatbelts.

Kind of nice when you can definitively count all SAE hardware without breaking a sweat... ;)

I'm looking to put in M8x1.00 rivnuts into the lip of the tub, in a slightly curved portion. Think yours would handle that? I'll also need to use your soldering iron to terminate the 2M coax at some point, but I'm hoping to do that after it runs.

Dan

sorry dude, it only does 3/8" 16 rivnuts. It sounds way too big for your application.

Dan,

I have rivet nuts and tools for 6x1.0, 8x1.25, and 1/4"x 20 (I think). I'll dig them out and see what my supply looks like.

I've got an SOR Extreme Plus Summer Top on my 40 you could use for CM, offers a bit more protection...you know in case if it rains. Wait whats rain again, can't remeber?:meh:

http://www.sor.com/shared/image/272-81-GY_i-big.jpg

Excellent. Sounds like one way or another, we'll be able to get a top on for CM. that one would work fine with the MT Jackson cage we've got, as would a bikini, obviously...

I'll be back working on it Tuesday and Wednesday. Like I said before, if the turbo comes back, this thing should be driving around.
controls 1.jpg

Yes, that is a ceramic coated turbine housing, and exhaust manifold. ;) In retrospect, they should both be black, or at least the manifold. But, that's just nitpicking on my part.
turbo 1.jpg

Dan
controls 1.jpg
turbo 1.jpg

Still waiting on the turbo, but.....
today 7.jpg

Jon, I'm sending you a PM about trying to do the nutserts tomorrow.....

I have to put a coat of clear on the roll cage tomorrow, and once the cage is in (depends on how early I can put the clear on, and if we can get folks to lift it in) the top can go on...

Dan
today 7.jpg

Looks awesome, Dan! Keep us posted about when you would need help with the cage. Hopefully I can make it over this time. We leave for Moab Wednesday morning. Are you still planning to go to Moab?

Evan

Looks awesome, Dan! Keep us posted about when you would need help with the cage. Hopefully I can make it over this time. We leave for Moab Wednesday morning. Are you still planning to go to Moab?

Evan

Monday. The cage will go in monday night. Should only take three of us to lift it (it's the same cage as Jon's).

I WILL be at CM. If the turbo comes back, in this 40. If not, then I'll probably bring the faux-lux. But fingers crossed! Dad is driving from NM on Wednesday too. I was going to drive earlier, but depending on the turbo and the top, I may end up caravaning. We'll drive two vehicles if the 40 goes, because after Moab it is coming with me to Idaho Springs for a bit.

For those of you who don't get to the diesel section often...
YouTube - The 40 has electrics!
outside 2.jpg

outside 1.jpg

C'mon turbo! Get here please!

Dan
outside 1.jpg
outside 2.jpg

OK, I get it now. Take the BJ and the Faux-lux to Moab. Park BJ at Slickrock and let people gawk at this new creation you are now too afraid to wheel. Wheel Faux-lux. Yer not fooling me there Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom