TTT -- The Tool Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you want to do foam inserts, that stuff is called Kaizen Foam. Buy it cheap on amazon, lay out the tools you want, and cut out layers of the multi-layer foam to get your tools to sit in there. Obviously this also allows you to customize the shape of the tool holder to your drawer. It's cheaper than buying pre-cut inserts, and as a bonus, you can make it specific to your tools.

https://www.amazon.com/Fastcap-Kaizen-Foam-57mm-Black/

I think I’ll get some of that for home I’ll be able to compare it VS the ones of grainger, ordered those through work since they were nice enough to buy them. :D

I bet an ONSC group buy would consume an entire production run.

Hire Tactegra Lean Six Sigma consultants. They'll 5S the s*** out of those tools for you.

Those are what im eyeing currently.
The short side/deepside magnetic scallops are cool too. For now they fit in one top drawer standing but will see how long i can keep it organized. Plus id love a quicker size recognition.
View attachment 1842490

To be fair, I only line up the shorts. The deep sockets sit on their sides. :hillbilly:

20181204_185443.jpg

The big one on the left is not a brass punch! :)

Sweet! Congrats! Airgas leases might not be a bad option.

Sweet! Congrats! Airgas leases might not be a bad option.
That’s what I’ve heard I’m trying to see about the someone knows a guy route right now may have an extra bottle I can buy and then I’ll have to refill.

Originally I got a Lincoln handy mig but thanks to a gift card and some discounts from my friendly neighborhood Lowe’s also the phrase “buy once cry once” echoing in my head. I know this isnt the top of the line but looking forward to getting everything I have planned done with it!

That’s what I’ve heard I’m trying to see about the someone knows a guy route right now may have an extra bottle I can buy and then I’ll have to refill.

Originally I got a Lincoln handy mig but thanks to a gift card and some discounts from my friendly neighborhood Lowe’s also the phrase “buy once cry once” echoing in my head. I know this isnt the top of the line but looking forward to getting everything I have planned done with it!

The arc3 here in Durham seems to have decent prices. I picked up a tank when I got my tig and it was way less than I thought I would’ve been.

Just found my receipt. Purchased tank for 155.92 and had it filled with argon for 13.16. Was a 80 cf tank.

The arc3 here in Durham seems to have decent prices. I picked up a tank when I got my tig and it was way less than I thought I would’ve been.

Just found my receipt. Purchased tank for 155.92 and had it filled with argon for 13.16. Was a 80 cf tank.

Nice thanks man I’ll look into that cus that’s cheaper than I’ve found so far.

Get the biggest tank you can get your hands on and own. The larger the tank the less it costs (per cubic foot) to fill.
The stores will rent tanks in month intervals, but I was quoted something like $100 a month for the largest size, obviously not worth it.

A tank is an investment tool. Buy the next size larger tank than the one you can afford :) The guys above are correct, much cheaper to fill a big tank than a small one several times. Bite the bullet, give up something for a few months etc. Oh yeah, small tanks always seem to run out just when you are hitting your stride.

You never really own the tanks, best you will do at most places is a 99 year lease. It's all legal BS but you do not want to get involved with tank maintenance any way.

Alright sounds like a plan then I’ll likely hold out a month or two then, plus most welding will be outside exposed to the elements for now so the flux core can do its thing for a bit. Likely I’ll go with an 80cu ft just because I don’t have room and will have to be able to move the welder from the shed to the side of the house for welding.

What do you guys suggest for cutting metal on a budget? I have a 4 1/2” grinder and maybe a 6” somewhere in a storage box may be just hand sawing it up for a bit.

Learn with flux core. Hate it, hate the smoke, hate the sparks, but own it likes it's your bitch. Then move to MIG and truly appreciate how easy it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom