Truck Lite LED Knock Offs AND headlight polarity reversal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw09lDGuLwIFcDFArrotBD6U

I ordered these off eBay and might have them this weekend. I'll update this thread with pics when i get the chance. After reading through the jeep threads I'm fairly confident these will work much better than factory sealed beams.

Those of you shaking your head with disapproval, I seek to make believers of you. And myself for that matter.

I researched the heck outta this and I imagine some of you have too. Well, I'm without shame for purchasing China. I'll be your guinea pig and potential savior for cheap decent LED headlights.

I chose the fake truck light due to the reflector design. If I'm going to buy a fake, why not a copy of the best? I really don't want to go blinding people with my fancy new LEDS. This appears to have best likelihood for a decent cutoff.

Pics when i get em!

Problem that has been stated with LED in general is that if you live in snowy/cold climate they do not produce enough heat to melt the snow/ice off your lenses. This causes and issue the more you drive and the ice begins to build up on the lens. So Truck-Lite created a cold weather version that has a heating element built in, with where both of you are showing you live I would recommend going with the originals.

I actually read through all 18 pages of this lol.

STICKY - Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

Chris, the forum admin, has the real truck lights and claims to have a buddy that has knock offs. He claimed they were very close in output of light and pattern, including the cutoff.

I seem to remember another person claiming to have had zero issues for a few years with ice build up. I think that's a pretty rare occurrence that would take the perfect conditions to happen. I have a buddy with a dodge truck and LED bulbs, he says he's not had build up issues either and we have had some snow this winter.

Like i said, I'll be the guinea pig to let people know if the China cheapies are junk or if they are decent. There are at least 2 different people in that jeep thread who have the truck light copies and say they're great by comparison to factory.

I have the real deal (heated!) truck lites in the bj60, and while it as an improvement, I was hoping for more light. Interested in seeing cutoff and output pictures! Before/after pics of light against a wall would be great, if you think about it before swapping them!

I have the real deal (heated!) truck lites in the bj60, and while it as an improvement, I was hoping for more light. Interested in seeing cutoff and output pictures! Before/after pics of light against a wall would be great, if you think about it before swapping them!

I've been looking at those. Did you upgrade the wiring harness with your install? I like the idea of the heated element. But it sounds like your less impressed by the light output, which kinda suprises me as I was blown away by the set a buddy has compaired to my old sealed beams.

The lights are at my local post office, picking up today.

I will see what amount of begging, pleading, and or back rubbing ill have to do(pregnant wife) to get these installed tonight!

Stay classy...

Good news and bad

Bad news first, NOT PLUG AND PLAY! Due to Toyota's :rainbow: engineering, these lights demand a ground to the ground wire. I'll have to come up with a way to switch the positive and switched grounds.

The good?

This is only a preview, I'm holding the led light in these pics but you might get the jist...

I did also notice some heat hitting my hands when placed close in front of the beam. Not halogen hot, but definitely not cold.

View attachment 1615165

20180119_133657.jpg

20180119_133618.jpg

20180119_133613.jpg

20180119_133332.jpg

Looks like they have a very similar cut off to a normal halogen but have a much larger "hot" spot. Curious to see what these look like outside once installed.

I've been looking at those. Did you upgrade the wiring harness with your install? I like the idea of the heated element. But it sounds like your less impressed by the light output, which kinda suprises me as I was blown away by the set a buddy has compaired to my old sealed beams.

I installed the @slcfj62 harness at the same time, though I don't think it was necessary. In my HJ61 I'm about to install some Chinese off-brand LEDs, as soon as I get back from vacation, and I don't plan on adding a harness, though I will re-wire the lights so that I can get all four lights on at all times.

I didn't love the low-beam output of the 7" round Truck-Lite's, but the high beams are great. That being said, it was still an improvement over the stock lights!

Dang it! I got impatient and installed these, currently only low beam. I got busy at work and had to get home....

@NookShneer thanks for the link, I'm sure the solution is in there. Got some reading to do.

Well the pattern is certainly wider! Definitely brighter, the 5 people i passed on the way home did not bright me.

20180119_170500.jpg

20180119_170507.jpg

20180119_174732.jpg

20180119_174735.jpg

20180119_174737.jpg

Oh you mean this?? My wife bought them for me a couple years back. I still need to install the passenger one.

Was pretty easy, step drill a hole in the bottom of the door, ran a wire to the door switch for the ground i think.

20171230_173933.jpg

Oh you mean this?? My wife bought them for me a couple years back. I still need to install the passenger one.

Was pretty easy, step drill a hole in the bottom of the door, ran a wire to the door switch for the ground i think.

View attachment 1615386

I like the function. Maybe if it said "Landcruiser" in the correct font.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom