Builds Troopy Trial No. 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the situation with the AC compressor valve head? I assume that's 88320-35H91 compressor?

Yeah I have to source a head before summer. My plumbing is all still in tact from the 3F a/c which did work, but I need to find a compressor manifold/head that will work. Any ideas?

Yeah I have to source a head before summer. My plumbing is all still in tact from the 3F a/c which did work, but I need to find a compressor manifold/head that will work. Any ideas?

I'm working through this conundrum as well.

I have a collection of valve heads from different diesel and gasser engines but haven't started trying them on.

I did also order two different compressors and 2 different new OEM valve sets. Just need to try them on.

From later 1HZ engines.

Finally, after months trying to source the right diesel tach I was able to get one from a HZJ75 out of Australia. Utesandparts was able to source me one.
Plug and play, if you can find the tach wire in the engine bay that went to the coil for the 3F engine.
IMG_1100(1).JPG

The black wire w/red stripe from the fuel pump sensor goes to the black wire /red stripe from the old coil tach on the 3F engine. (or pin 4? on the cluster, iirc. Also black/w red stripe)
The brown wire from the fuel pump sensor is just a ground, I ran it to the frame.

Also did a fuel pin and removed the factory airbag for a K&N filter. I'd like to figure out a decent box for the filter, but for now this gained me 5psi in boost, just replacing the air filter with an aftermarket. That was a surprise.

63726452894_34E072ED-FAC0-419F-BFBF-CDFC2EC4A1C5(1).JPG

I got a spare dash pad too. Mine grew a crack over winter.
63718839122_66031048-5250-44EB-BAAC-358B5AA05AEA(1).JPG

not surprising at all gaining boost and how quickly it boosts. I unhooked my snorkel setup to test why a hose was collapsing. boost was instant and way higher. Definitely less safe, but yeah that aftermarket filter flows more for sure.

not surprising at all gaining boost and how quickly it boosts. I unhooked my snorkel setup to test why a hose was collapsing. boost was instant and way higher. Definitely less safe, but yeah that aftermarket filter flows more for sure.

I can actually hear the G-turbo now too, which is nice!

Looing good!

Love seeing this rig get updates.

Finally, after months trying to source the right diesel tach I was able to get one from a HZJ75 out of Australia. Utesandparts was able to source me one.
Plug and play, if you can find the tach wire in the engine bay that went to the coil for the 3F engine.
IMG_1100(1).JPG

The black wire w/red stripe from the fuel pump sensor goes to the black wire /red stripe from the old coil tach on the 3F engine. (or pin 4? on the cluster, iirc. Also black/w red stripe)
The brown wire from the fuel pump sensor is just a ground, I ran it to the frame.

Also did a fuel pin and removed the factory airbag for a K&N filter. I'd like to figure out a decent box for the filter, but for now this gained me 5psi in boost, just replacing the air filter with an aftermarket. That was a surprise.

nice! Mind asking where you sourced the dash pad? I'm looking for a dark sable one without the dent for the inclinometer ideally but either style could work.

IMG_1100(1).JPG

Is that 3F tachometer the typical gasser tach that uses a signal from the coil? If so, would you be willing to part with it? I think that is the type of signal my VW ECU is putting out, and should work with the correct resistor.

Is that 3F tachometer the typical gasser tach that uses a signal from the coil? If so, would you be willing to part with it? I think that is the type of signal my VW ECU is putting out, and should work with the correct resistor.

Yes and yes. PM me your address and I can ship it out to you.

Been awhile, but there have been some big things happening.

First, my Valley Hybrids rebuilt transmission broke a tooth after 20K. I mentioned it was making noise in neutral since day one pages ago. Tell tale sign of a bad input shaft bearing. Didn't feel like pulling the transmission right after installing it, so I just drove it. Sure enough the input shaft sheered some teeth eventually.
After fighting them for awhile they agreed to rebuild for half price.
I chose to just purchase a new OEM H55 with new Case and 10% overdrive gears instead, from Valley Hybrids. I'll keep the rebuilt transmission for another time.
This is not a slam post. George has been really helpful, I think I just got a rebuild done by a new guy the first time around.
I'm very happy with the new transmission and cruising on the highway at 75mph with 2k RPM is nice. 35s help that too.

Speaking of 35s, not sure if I mentioned it but I got some Kinda 35x10.50r17 tires on Nomad Sahara wheels. I like how they look. They rub sometimes.
tempImagePkkWji.heic

Now, since I bought the truck I've had some rust creeping in the A pillars like every damn 70 series. My windshield got a crack so having an excuse to pull it, I finally got the rust fixed. Cut out and repaired.
IMG_4043.HEIC

The painter wanted to tackle the whole front end.
IMG_5464.HEIC

And then I got my truck back with half a different shade. So it goes.
71381311749_163C8A94-6E38-499D-AC09-65BDC5DE278D.HEIC

In for a penny in for a pound, I tore all the windows out and got the whole thing redone.
IMG_6481.HEIC

Got some of the dent from when I almost rolled the troops wheeling out.

tempImageVoZVf4.heic

tempImagec4nNFv.heic

IMG_4993.HEIC

It came back nice. I like the new color a lot better.
IMG_6720.HEIC

71928278511_A63160DA-26B7-430E-A969-33266F4BFDB5.HEIC

Last edited:
I used this as an opportunity to finally do a lot of things I've been putting off. Hard working on your own stuff when you aren't getting paid for it.
I removed all 10 or 14 or whatever windows and paid about $1200 to get them ceramic tinted. Very light tint, I don't like tint but I don't like being hot.
IMG_6781.HEIC

All seals and hardware that got removed were replaced. Big habit of mine to replace if removed. Probably unhealthy. Definitely not financially ideal.
IMG_6779.HEIC

Also used this time to redo my house electrical. The old setup was pretty "cowboy".
IMG_6789.HEIC

71961569772_AAE6D7A9-D272-43B1-9DDF-B83DD802C08A.HEIC

IMG_6795.HEIC

IMG_7311.HEIC

IMG_7312.HEIC

I also redid my fabric. I must have been drinking when I picked out the last stuff.
IMG_7310.HEIC

All while this is going on, we were struggling to get a customers 1HZ to run correct. We threw the book at it. So since my truck at this point was basically a parts rig, I pulled my engine and installed it into the customer truck. This is going to be confusing because the customer's truck looks exactly like mine.

Here's a movie
ENGINE PULL

Got parts swapped over and installed into the customer's truck.
IMG_7096.HEIC

IMG_7117.HEIC

IMG_7119.HEIC

They went from a Columbian "rebuilt" 1HZ that had a bent valve to a 1HDT for $5k parts and labor.
What a bad deal for me. You are correct but I really wanted this truck out of here.

What am I going to do you might ask?
IMG_7313.HEIC

Well in the meanwhile, I had a pallet of 3 1HDFT on the way. One of which were unclaimed. Every setback is an opportunity for an upgrade...or something.
So I'm prepping this puppy. Ceramic coated manifolds, valve cover. EGR delete, Turbo, etc.

This puppy I got from chapel gate. Less than 80,000K on it.
The English motors are always crusty as hell.
IMG_7253.HEIC

Stripped it down, sent all parts to coating. Injection pump sent for a rebuild (idk why but I'm anal)
IMG_7314.HEIC

Slowly going through it.
IMG_7316.HEIC

I also finally gave up and decided to intercool it. I was so in love with the classic metal grill and didn't want to give it up. The 10% overdrive and 35" tires really sent me over the edge.

72004731287_1B00DBDA-9B25-4CE1-97EA-7013BD4991A9.HEIC

The end for awhile.
IMG_6792.HEIC

Engine is in and drives like a million bucks. The 1HDFT, intercooler and 10% overdrive gears make this a highway hero at 70-80mph.
The PDI brake booster fixed all my brake qualms too. Thing stops on a dime.

tempImagecfIzYB.heic

tempImageZADjhY.heic

tempImageWVGehl.heic

tempImageusyr8I.heic

tempImageQsEUGH.heic

Also, got some taller rear shackles by an inch to help with the rear squat.

IMG_8207.HEIC

IMG_8205.HEIC

Thinking I'm going to sell it now. I just bought my first house and think I should do the responsible thing and not be 100K into a vehicle.
I'm not sure what it's worth, but hopefully a little over 100K as that's how much I have spent on parts alone. RHD might bring it down..but learning RHD is the easiest part of driving a troopy in my opinion.

IMG_8195.HEIC

IMG_8174.HEIC

1HDFT engine installed with less than 80k
PDI Intercooler, Gturbo, Rebuilt Injection pump tuned for good power and longevity.
Brand new H55F and Tcase with 10% overdrive gears so you can go 80mph easy
Rear ARB locker and twin air compressor - air tank setup
Interior is dialed - bench, drawers, etc
Scheelmann seats, passenger is on a swivel seat.
Alucab + shadow awning
300w solar
Eperspacher heater
Factory dual tank
Factory rear full float axle
Long range america 15g water tank
Dobinson MRR suspension
Chassis gone through, all tie rods, steering parts, shackles, bushings.
Por15’d the entire frame over the summer.
Kaymar rear bumper
ARB front and Come-Up Winch
Stainless brake lines and PDI brake booster - stops on a dime
$1500 in new OEM front glass, front and rear gaskets + ceramic tint last month

So beautiful mate. I have the same qualms - homeowner as well and also have around 100k in a Troopy (mind you, 2023 version, sandy taupe colour here in NZ). Big thing is, life is short. If it's manageable and not absolutely reckless (ie: how much joy and happiness does the Troopy bring you), I say keep it.

Scotty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom