Builds Troopy Trial No. 2 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just curious if you put in a block heater while you had the engine out or how the 1HD starts/smokes when cold. My 14Bt smokes up half the block in the morning when I start it up this time of year.

Did you get your tach working? I put a tiny-tach in mine, but my cluster was tach-less. I wonder if you need to add the hall-effect sensor to the bell-housing to use your tach? Or maybe you could buy an aftermarket tach-sensor that attaches to the alternator and calibrate it to your factory tach. Not sure if that's possible.

Last edited:
Just curious if you put in a block heater while you had the engine out or how the 1HD starts/smokes when cold. My 14Bt smokes up half the block in the morning when I start it up this time of year.

Did you get your tach working? I put a tiny-tach in mine, but my cluster was tach-less. I wonder if you need to add the hall-effect sensor to the bell-housing to use your tach? Or maybe you could buy an aftermarket tach-sensor that attaches to the alternator and calibrate it to your factory tach. Not sure if that's possible.

Are you talking like blueish-white smoke? Just white? Any pictures of this smoke?

The 1HDT isn't too bad, but does have some grey smoke for the first 10 seconds of start up. And then little trails of grey smoke for the first block of driving if I don't let it warm up all the way. The last 10 Toyota diesels I've owned have been like this. Old diesel or high altitude Bend Oregon idk.

I cycle the glow plug for like 10 seconds.
I've ran inline coolant heaters (the $50-70 ones you can buy at Napa) on the radiator hoses before with good luck. Just have to remember to plug it in overnight.

I just ordered a 1HZ tach from Australia, going to try to make that work.

DSCF6337.jpg
This is a fantastic photo! Can you tell us if this model 77 has the 3 cylinder or the 6, and anything else about this truck? Where was the photo taken?

This is a fantastic photo! Can you tell us if this model 77 has the 3 cylinder or the 6, and anything else about this truck? Where was the photo taken?

3 cylinder model 77 eh? :D

This is a 1994 KZJ78 Prado, so it is coil springs all around and has a smaller 1KZ 3.0 Turbo.
The photo was taken in Christmas Valley, Oregon.

3 cylinder model 77 eh? :D

This is a 1994 KZJ78 Prado, so it is coil springs all around and has a smaller 1KZ 3.0 Turbo.
The photo was taken in Christmas Valley, Oregon.
Whoops! Fumble fingered. We have a 4 cylinder 22R RJ77 currently on loan to the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum. I was impressed by the Prado getting off the ground. In our drive across the US to the museum we had a lot of trouble getting to 65 MPH. I was accordingly highly impressed to see all four wheels off the ground on a similar vehicle.

Last edited:
Great to see this truck in person over the weekend. Alex is a rad dude with a wealth of knowledge and a killer shop to boot. Made us feel like old pals with the shop tour and rundown on all the mods in person.

Very helpful as I continue my search for a troopy of my own, and decide on the ever expanding 'needs vs. wants' list.

Thanks @Willis

@Willis any links or info about the swivel seat stuff?

I put this one in my Troopy from a VW T5/6 from Just Campers UK. Absolutely nothing lined up and it seemed like all the bolts for the seat sliders needed to be counter sunk into the locking pins of the swivel seat base. I abandoned the project 3 times before finishing it. Maybe there’s another swivel option that would line up better for the fixing bolts but I was after the lowest stack height possible. It’s doable but I wouldn’t want to recommend it or show it to the inspections guys.

How’s the livin! These pics make need an alu cab pop top and some desert immediately!
The interior looks so good. Nice work!

So good!

Finally, after months trying to source the right diesel tach I was able to get one from a HZJ75 out of Australia. Utesandparts was able to source me one.
Plug and play, if you can find the tach wire in the engine bay that went to the coil for the 3F engine.
IMG_1100(1).JPG

The black wire w/red stripe from the fuel pump sensor goes to the black wire /red stripe from the old coil tach on the 3F engine. (or pin 4? on the cluster, iirc. Also black/w red stripe)
The brown wire from the fuel pump sensor is just a ground, I ran it to the frame.

Also did a fuel pin and removed the factory airbag for a K&N filter. I'd like to figure out a decent box for the filter, but for now this gained me 5psi in boost, just replacing the air filter with an aftermarket. That was a surprise.

63726452894_34E072ED-FAC0-419F-BFBF-CDFC2EC4A1C5(1).JPG

I got a spare dash pad too. Mine grew a crack over winter.
63718839122_66031048-5250-44EB-BAAC-358B5AA05AEA(1).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom