Trail Tailor rear control arms installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kelly saad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I knew my factory arms had wasted bushings, but I had no idea how bad until I removed them. They are totally blown out, you can put the bolt in the hole and tweak the bushings side to side.

The new Trail Tailor arms are fully adjustable and have the Johnny Joint, which is a huge help when the arms are stressing the bushings. The joint allows them to move without “sideways” type stress on either bushing, and they have a grease zerk. Everything is built overkill, they are heavy duty for sure. The lowers are DOM tubing and thick, not only that, the diameter is much larger than the old ones. I am honestly not worried about these bending at all, they look like a part off a Sherman tank.

Once installed, I noticed a tighter drive, not as sloppy when I hit bumps. Noticeable on the highway especially, when driving over bumpy places at 70-80 mph, it was so sloppy before. Now, with the new arms, it’s tight and doesn’t sound as “rattled” but that may actually be placebo. Anyway, I’m excited and very pleased. I do not think they could be built any stronger.

C88F1B01-D54E-43AC-B88F-05C5703E41DF.jpeg
50ACE347-E888-4502-A33A-2C45609DE5AC.jpeg
515A847B-3110-4514-8CC1-9A58C22A4712.jpeg
AB7D673B-CD8B-43D9-AF88-8D78DFAC6005.jpeg

Nice. Pretty easy install too, right? No need to lift the truck or remove wheels?

These are on the list.

I got Jason’s Trail Tailor upper and lower rear arms too. Great product!

Nice, I'm jealous these are on my list as well! Did you need to use any ratchet straps or anything after removing the old arms to move the rear axle in order to line up the new arms? Did you bother with measuring pinion angle or just match up the new arms the same length as the OEM ones?

Nice, I'm jealous these are on my list as well! Did you need to use any ratchet straps or anything after removing the old arms to move the rear axle in order to line up the new arms? Did you bother with measuring pinion angle or just match up the new arms the same length as the OEM ones?
A little bird told me to extend the lowers 3/8" and it should be close.

I did fight the drivers side for sure. It needed to move forward 1" for the bolt to go through. I figured out how to get it worked out, but it was tough for a couple hours. It was totally my fault though. I took off two arms on my driveway that is a steep hill. After that I was indeed claiming the "Village Idiot" title once again. :meh: I think if you just use your brain and not follow my steps, then you will be just fine.

Also, I was prying the tire up with a 20lb rock bar that has a sharp pointed end like a spear. You already know what I am about to say. Yes, I was pulling the bar out, it slipped and speared my leg. Went in the side of my calf about 3/4", but I kept on working like a real man.:p This is what happens when I think there is time to work on my own vehicle. I never have time for my vehicle.

@kelly saad could you feel the play in bushing by hand, before removing old arm(s)?
With a pry bar they were loose, but under pressure, it was not easy to wiggle them by hand. Visually, the top drivers side arm was not aligned, bushing was clearly smashed and the arm was off to the side in the housing. They were sloppy, not tight. I can put the bolt in them now and flex them a lot. Its for sure a tighter ride, for sure. Been driving it today.

Do the johnny joints transmit more vibration to the frame and hence into the cabin?

Do the johnny joints transmit more vibration to the frame and hence into the cabin?

I don't think they do IMO. They are a poly designed joint not a heim joint. Barrel/ball is surrounded by poly.

The structure is more rigid than the OEM rubber bushings but much softer than a hard nylon heim design.

The poly absorbs quite well.

Update. I drove highway again, and roads tonight. I hit every big nasty bump I could find. It is very very noticeable now with the new arms, much more pleasant to drive. When driving over potholes or bumps, it glides through them instead of feeling loose. It feels planted on the road now, when before it wandered and felt slightly unstable. I was curious that these bushings should have a very noticeable difference if replaced, as they hold the entire axle in position. Anyway, On my vehicle, with these trashed bushing replaced, it’s a big difference.

I knew my factory arms had wasted bushings, but I had no idea how bad until I removed them. They are totally blown out, you can put the bolt in the hole and tweak the bushings side to side.

The new Trail Tailor arms are fully adjustable and have the Johnny Joint, which is a huge help when the arms are stressing the bushings. The joint allows them to move without “sideways” type stress on either bushing, and they have a grease zerk. Everything is built overkill, they are heavy duty for sure. The lowers are DOM tubing and thick, not only that, the diameter is much larger than the old ones. I am honestly not worried about these bending at all, they look like a part off a Sherman tank.

Once installed, I noticed a tighter drive, not as sloppy when I hit bumps. Noticeable on the highway especially, when driving over bumpy places at 70-80 mph, it was so sloppy before. Now, with the new arms, it’s tight and doesn’t sound as “rattled” but that may actually be placebo. Anyway, I’m excited and very pleased. I do not think they could be built any stronger.

View attachment 2096429View attachment 2096430View attachment 2096433View attachment 2096434

this is a great review, is this better than OEM for a stock lx470. Want to change my control arms for new ones.

What year is your vehicle and how many miles?
98 with 193k
this is a great review, is this better than OEM for a stock lx470. Want to change my control arms for new ones.
Thanks! These are better quality for sure, just depends what you will be doing with your vehicle. Maybe not better “quality”, but much more tough and at the same quality as Toyota, also built for battle. Toyota parts are at the highest quality, so that would be a big statement.

They are substantially “beefier” than OEM. Pics don’t do these justice.

They are substantially “beefier” than OEM. Pics don’t do these justice.
Exactly. I think all 4 of my factory arms might weigh about the same as one TT lower arm. Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom