Toreson all gears differential vs Truetrac all gears diff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey has anyone ever put these in their Landcruiser?
They are both different in design
I have been checking out the Torsen, looking at all the videos about them, then I found out about the Truetrac, which is slightly different. They both look absolutely brilliant. I like the fact that it is solid, all mechanical , Gears only, no 'clutch packs' or springs, or servos, electric or pnuematic or otherwise, just simple worm gears and ring gears. Looks bomber.

Thanks,

Sorry for the Title mispelling. It is TORSEN not Toreson.

Last edited:
So they are both Limited Slip designs as opposed to Locker style?

These are not 'Limited Slip' in the classic sense, with 'clutch packs' and springs.
In the Torsen and Truetrac there is nothing to wear out or lose adjustment, like with Clutch pack style LSD (limited slip differential)

The whole system looks so bomber and simple, that is why I am wondering why more people don't have them on their Landcruisers.

They are still a limited slip which means they require some wheel speed differential between the two sides to work which is not conducive to most offroad stuff where you don't want to have a wheel spin at all if possible. I have a 33 spline Truetrac in another of my vehicles, it's great for a performance car but I wouldn't be too inclined to run one in my cruiser.

I ran a TrueTrac in the front of my old Cherokee. If u off-road, u will have spots that u wish u had a full locker. The TrueTrac will not lock up, no matter how much brake u apply.

I ran a TrueTrac in the front of my old Cherokee. If u off-road, u will have spots that u wish u had a full locker. The TrueTrac will not lock up, no matter how much brake u apply.

Ok but how about the Torsen?

Same thing. They are limited slips, not lockersz

These are both variants of a limited slip Irish patent from the 1930s. Every axle manufacturer in the world has had a drooling fit over this design at one time or another. Dana had several. In theory, they're great. In practice, as has been mentioned above, they don't work when you need them to, because the manufacturing tolerances aren't close enough to support the design function, because the manufacturers wouldn't make any money on them if they were.

I have no experience with them in a land cruiser, but a good friend of mine installed true tracs in a 1992 regular cab Toyota pickup, tt was also geared to 5.29 and had 33's. We wheeled together several times and I was always impressed with the traction he was able to find. As everyone has mentioned, its a limited slip and not a locker, but it was quiet, smooth and worked much better than any other limited slip I have seen in person.

Still pretty sure you can not get a Torsen for the 80! Do you have a link? For front and rear limited slips you are limited to the trutrac up front and the Auburn Pro in the rear. The Auburn Pro is a clutch setup that isn't rebuildable. There is also a Cusco that is about 2x the cost of the Trutrac and is also a clutch setup that is rebuildable.

I would buy a rear Torsen for my 80 if someone where to make one. I would like to see the market offering.

I have used Truetracs and the Supra clutch style in past trucks. First off, when the trail gets tough these will slip rather than push the truck. The harder the trail gets, the more worthless they become. They just aren't lockers. I broke my rear TT using the ebrake to lock it up so beware if you go this route and try that trick. They aren't that strong. I hated how the torque steer impacted the steering when when in 4WD. Since this was on a part time 4WD 4runner with locking hubs I could live with it but when I took to the mountains to go snowboarding and drove long distances in 4WD it really sucked having the LSD up front. I would absolutely hate that steering drag on an AWD/4WD truck like an 80 series+ cruiser.

I suggest rather than get two LSD's, get one selectable locker for the rear axle. Your rig will be more capable and will retain its on road manners.

Frank

Agree with the previous sentiments. The Truetrac is a good, strong, limited slip. But, when one tire goes airborne, you will wish you had a locker. On a street or dirt road-driven vehicle they are fantastic. But, a locker is superior in the rough stuff. With massive articulation the "airborne tire issue"is somewhat negated, but massive axle articulation is not the 80's forte in stock form. Thus, for the price they command, not really worth it IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom