TLCA Raffle Truck build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anticipate delivery of the TLCA FJ40 at the Tech Day on Saturday at IPOR...I plan to leave here Friday as the buttcrack of dawn (who is this Dawn person anyways, and what makes her buttcrack so special??)

Cant wait to see this Woody dressed as a buttcrack

(who is this Dawn person anyways, and what makes her buttcrack so special??)

high school memories. oh so sweet

Assay the Raffle Truck

OK Cruiserheads -

We have some work to do on the Raffle truck.

• The first task is fleshing out the "missing parts" list. For this we will need at least one, preferably two or three gurus who have strong knowledge of the minutiae of an FJ40 circa 1977. I'm thinking this should be done before we start disassembly, or be done methodically as we are breaking the truck down. Send me a PM if you are an FJ40 guru. I'd like to try and get this done in March if possible.

• Next, is a full assay of what we have and what needs to be done to each subcomponent (front and rear axles, tub, frame, engine, tranny/transfer, etc.). For this we will have to disassemble the rig and get a volunteer to lead each subcomponent inspection/rebuild effort. Assuming we want to take a little more care in the disassembly process than we usually do when parting a truck, I think we should plan on taking at least two days to break the truck down into manageable subcomponents. We want to avoid further damage and take some time to tag or catalog everything so we can plan the work and avoid misplacing the smaller parts as much as possible. My weekends in March are quickly filling up, so I'm thinking we coordinate a day in early April at IPOR to get this started, with a second date tentatively planned if we can't complete it in a full day.
  • Once we have volunteers to lead on the subassembly assay, refurbish and rebuild, we can coordinate pick-up for transport to a place of your choosing for the dirty work. I suggest that we form teams. If you are interested in leading or working on a subassembly team, drop me a PM.

As always, I'm open to suggestions so post up your thoughts, volunteer to lead a subassembly team if you have a specialty, or offer to bring beer, whatever.

Last edited:
Perhaps we could use a Saturday breakfast to tear it down? We would need a bunch of guys to really tear it apart. Camera would be nice too.

I think that's a good idea.

Chris

OK Cruiserheads -

We have some work to do on the Raffle truck.

• The first task is fleshing out the "missing parts" list. For this we will need at least one, preferably two or three gurus who have strong knowledge of the minutiae of an FJ40 circa 1977. I'm thinking this should be done before we start disassembly, or be done methodically as we are breaking the truck down. Send me a PM if you are an FJ40 guru. I'd like to try and get this done in March if possible.

Jon and all,

I tend to take a fair amount for granted in terms of knowing what's supposed to be on any given year vehicle having been in this game for so long. Reading your post reminded me that you all are starting from a very different point. It also gave me a thought that it would probably not be a bad idea, given the situation, to find someone in the area who HAS a 1977 FJ40 that they would be willing to let you look at from time to time, or shoot and post pics online of.

Over the years, I'd have to say that the most intimidating thing for me in a reassembly, bar none, was laying IN the wiring harness. Ironically, the very first guy that paid me to do one was on a 1977 FJ40! That was 20 years ago. I had nothing in the way of experience except ONE 1976 FJ40 that I had disassembled a year earlier. Laying in that harness took 3 hours.

I will be glad to help with "what goes here" photos if your collective comes up short from time to time. But I also have a feeling that it won't be very often. You've got a wealth of knowledge betweenyour two 'local' clubs from what I could see in my short visit.

Best

Mark A.

Thanks Mark! Turns out that we now have a 77 to use as a reference because the Cruiser Karma is strong here and Dan of BigTow Auto Transport & Recovery has donated a 77FJ40 to the Raffle Truck build. This baby is complete and although a little rusty in spots, there are a slew of good parts that we need (doors, tailgate, tire carrier, hardtop, original jack and handles, even original rubber mats).

Big thanks to Dan and his son for bringing it by during the electrical tech day at Iron Pig.

Keep in mind, I need volunteers to rebuild/refurbish subassemblies and right now nothing is spoken for. If you have a knack at rebuilding engines, axles, tcases, body work, or drinking beer, let me know.

Also, send me a PM if you have a tuff tote or similar appropriately sized storage container that you are willing to either donate or loan to the project (put your name on it). We will use them to organize and keep the smaller assemblies together (dash parts, brake and clutch masters, door hardware, etc.).

Thanks everyone!

Jon

I can help with general tear down and such. I've rebuilt a 1978 federal Carb with smog with success, but I bet there are better qualified persons for something as vital as the Carb. I'm ready to get dirty.

I can bring what I promissed to GSMTR and hand it off to IPOR or someone to take back. I just need someone to follow up with me a couple weeks before and remind me. Otherwise I'll forget.

Keep in mind, I need volunteers to rebuild/refurbish subassemblies and right now nothing is spoken for.

Also, send me a PM if you have a tuff tote or similar appropriately sized storage container that you are willing to either donate or loan to the project (put your name on it).

Thanks everyone!

Jon

I want to build the axle assemblies, or an axle assembly if we get another volunteer for one of the two; I have a tuffy-style footlocker we can use for parts storage.

Thanks Tracy, your name is on the axle(s)

I can bring what I promissed to GSMTR and hand it off to IPOR or someone to take back. I just need someone to follow up with me a couple weeks before and remind me. Otherwise I'll forget.

That's my job.....all I need is someone to remind me:p

I can help with general tear down and such. I've rebuilt a 1978 federal Carb with smog with success, but I bet there are better qualified persons for something as vital as the Carb. I'm ready to get dirty.

The carb that is on the truck currently is a FJ60 carb that we had at the shop to throw on the rig when we fired the engine. I think I had made mention of the fact that I intended to provide the appropriate year Mark's Off Road rebuild carb for the truck when the time comes [and assume that I will get the 60 core back] so that is covered.

From my last conversation with Jon, it sounded like you guys got an appropriate donor powertrain from another 40 that would have a carb I could rebuild, and that would be fine too.;)

Best

Mark A.

The carb that is on the truck currently is a FJ60 carb that we had at the shop to throw on the rig when we fired the engine. I think I had made mention of the fact that I intended to provide the appropriate year Mark's Off Road rebuild carb for the truck when the time comes [and assume that I will get the 60 core back] so that is covered.

From my last conversation with Jon, it sounded like you guys got an appropriate donor powertrain from another 40 that would have a carb I could rebuild, and that would be fine too.;)

Best

Mark A.

Mark, I believe the carb on Dan's donor truck is a hunk o' rust and not usable. Jon, I can tackle the tranny and transfer case if no one wants that action. Do we know the condition of the tranny and transfer in the build rig? I believe Dan's donor truck has a good tranny and transfer.

Last edited:
... Do we know the condition of the tranny and transfer in the build rig? I believe Dan's donor truck has a good tranny and transfer.

John -

Thanks for stepping up. Mark might know the condition of the gear boxes, but I have no idea what condition they are in. We are trying to set up 4/30 as the tear down day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom