• Stock

Votes: 29 42.0%
  • Unmodified Depo Euro Crystals

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Toyota Dual/Quad lights

Votes: 24 34.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run the stock headlights and would not recommend it, but I don't drive my cruiser that often

Look at this guy over here with his nice things and working eyeballs
I have gone through and done some fixing here and there to try and get the electrical system working well. My voltage gauge, even with the motor swap still bounces around with the blinker lol. As for working eyeballs, you just have to clean them every now and then with brake clean and get shot in the eyeball with a high power airsoft rifle from 10 feet away and detach a retina. All that extra light the eye lets in can be annoying when you're trying to sleep and when people turn the lights on when you're navigating a dark stairwell, but its great for night vision lol.

depos with the Susquehanna harness for proper use of h1/h4 filaments and switching logic...

I have had Depos with a custom harness for 8 years. About 2 years ago, I noticed one of the H4 bulb shrouds had broken. Looked some, but I don’t think I can find a replacement.

I guess I have to do an HID or LED projector swap after catching up with major maintenance.

Before it broke, it did give better light than stock with a HIRs. (Tried that too.)

B4AB32F7-5C62-49BF-8772-1D4B5D4766AF.jpeg

@Mandrake

Did you do a thread on this? It looks amazing!

I tried the Depos, both without and with the H4 harness and wasn't impressed. I decided to just go balls deep and did a quad bixenon retrofit into the Depos using Morimoto H1 7.0's and D2S 4.0's both with 55w 5500k bulbs. It was a lot of work and definitely a couple bucks, but if you're serious about lighting, THIS is what you want.

View attachment 1564707

@Mandrake

Did you do a thread on this? It looks amazing!

Thanks. The light performance is even better. No thread for the project because it inadvertently got drawn out over about a year and a half. It wasn't difficult in the sense that it requires a lot of skill. All you're doing is cutting holes in the reflectors and then epoxy in the projectors into the holes. What's hard is that it is just tedious as hell. The holes have to be pretty spot on to identically position the projectors between the left and right lights, and it takes a lot of fiddling to get all four rotated just right so the cutoffs all line up. I'm glad I did it, but wouldnt want to dobit again. I see why the retrofitters charge $1000-$1500 for the labor on a quad retrofit.

Fwiw, the Depots feature independent up and down and left and right adjustment for both the low and the high beam, so aiming the projectors is quite easy. I opted to have the center two projectors facing forward and the outer two pointing out away from center to provideo a wider pattern. It will light up both sides of a six lane undivided highway. High beam performance is on par with a 50" LED light bar. And because of the sharp low beam cutoff, nobody flashes their high beams at me.

I have had Depos with a custom harness for 8 years. About 2 years ago, I noticed one of the H4 bulb shrouds had broken. Looked some, but I don’t think I can find a replacement.

I guess I have to do an HID or LED projector swap after catching up with major maintenance.

Before it broke, it did give better light than stock with a HIRs. (Tried that too.)

View attachment 1564987

Anybody that has done a projector retrofit should have these.. I do :) and I'll be more than happy to ship it to you if you need it for a quick fix before you go full projector... PM me your address if you need it

H

View attachment 1564987
I've had similar experiences with Depo lights on a few other vehicles and crap like this is why I'm on the fence about Depo lights. They never seem to be that great of quality or fit. It's sad that they are a repair industry standard for replacement lights on wrecked vehicles.

It's starting to become obvious that the stock headlights are winning the vote. So my question is, does anyone know where to get ones that aren't busted up?

The DEPO lights pump out the light. The light pattern is completely different than the stock lenses. The stock lights are a wide diffused beam pattern. The DEPO lights are "euro spec" that produce a distinct cut-off pattern which is higher on the passenger side. This aides in lighting up the side of the road. Also, euro spec is lower on the driver's side so not to annoy oncoming traffic. I have never been flashed and have asked people I know if my lights are too bright. All have reported they did not notice anything.

In addition, the high beams on the DEPOS are a spot pattern. They can be adjusted to your liking.

Low Beams
depo 1 marked.jpg

It may be. Pictures are randoms's from the web. I was trying to get 3 similar cruisers with different headlights for a more even comparison.

I recently did this swap and I could not be more happy with it ..

20171007180703-e357fc01-me.jpg

plenty light were it should be ..

20171018162049-26d7f46d-me.jpg

Are the Depo’s with glass housings still available? I looked on eBay but couldn’t find any. A headlight upgrade is on my list, but my stock headlights are actually pretty good IMO. But I would like to upgrade to more power headlights.

I recently did this swap and I could not be more happy with it ..

20171007180703-e357fc01-me.jpg

plenty light were it should be ..

20171018162049-26d7f46d-me.jpg

Info on where you got the lights?

Are the Depo’s with glass housings still available? I looked on eBay but couldn’t find any. A headlight upgrade is on my list, but my stock headlights are actually pretty good IMO. But I would like to upgrade to more power headlights.

Your googlefu is weak

DEPO 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ80 EURO CLEAR HEADLIGHTS SET | eBay

Those aren't a cheap date. $400 on top of the cost of converting to quad lights is a chunk of change. I'm still on the hunt for a good condition replacement light for the right side, but all of the lights I find have the same cracked or broken tabs.

that was what I paid more less for 2 trucklites for my 60 .. and here you have twice the light ( arguable ) .. the wiring it's pretty basic .. yoy only need to relays .. ( I did per pair ).

I think headlights are nice when driving at night during a new moon phase!

That's my thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom