This old 45 has a new home in PA! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found this old 45 in Maryland, a fellow cruiser guy told me about it a year or two ago and I finally made the deal and bought the truck. The guy I bought it from has a lot of cruisers, including another 45 that is pretty rusty. He's had it since 2006 and told me it hadn't moved out of his garage for at least 8 years! It's VIN FJ4521933, titled as a 67 but it has the brass button with 65 on the firewall. F engine serial number is F205108. PO had bought it from a woman whose husband had passed, she said they had driven it to South America twice. It still has Mexico tourist pass decals on the windows from two different years.

This truck is pretty darn near unmolested. Looks stock to me under the hood, in fact the big sight bowl Aisin leaks when it has gas in the bowl! Three on the tree and transfer case controls on the dash. Dash is pretty complete, someone removed the inside heater and heater control panel but they are with the truck. Got the original jack and the rear hubcaps with the truck, too. Not rust free but amazingly solid especially underneath. There's two small rust through spots in the front corners of the hardtop and one on each rocker panel. I got both running boards, too but they of course are solid but not pristine. It has odd seats in it but I did get the seats from the other 45, they look like they may have been recovered at some point in time. These seats are nice and clean. Still has the original wipers with separate motors.

Not sure what the original owner did with the lockable doors that eh had cut into the front of the bed. There's a storage well behind each door but I can't quite figure what eh would have had this feature for. Any ideas? I'm figuring at some point to weld the doors into the bedsides and patch em solid like that.

Truck doesn't run. PO said it did but now doesn't. It's not getting spark, I got no further troubleshooting than to see that there is 12V positive to the + side of the coil, and the points are opening when the distributor shaft rotates. It is getting fuel. No brakes either, pedal goes of course right to the floor. Po said it ran OK last time he parked it in the garage. We'll see what it takes to get it running. The original fuse holder is there but the contacts are green where the fuses push in. All in all she needs a good going over to see what we can do to get her on the road again.

My plan is to get it running and stopping, address any electrical issues to get it safe to drive, put a set of tires on it, then put it on the road. No plans for a restoration just want to address the holes in the front of the top. Yeah i know the bezel is upside down will correct that problem shortly.

Debating about how to get brakes on the old girl. I suspect it will ened all new brake cylinders and a master, in addition to lining. Doing that would be expensive and i'd still have four wheel discs, and that doesn't thrill me. I have a disc brake setup here from an FJ62 that i could swap over onto the 45, and i have a good brake booster and master cylinder that i can use. Comments welcome. if someone thinks staying with drums is the right route to go let me know where I might get a decent price on wheel cylinders and a master.

Enjoy the pictures.

010.JPG

011.JPG

Last edited:
here's my friend Joe Kelly pulling the truck out of her storage spot after eight years out of the sun

MD 45 in yard.jpg

And the old girl on the trailer waiting to go north to a new home
MD 45 on trailer.jpg

The seats in the truck look like early FJ25 seats maybe. The extra seats look great. Maybe the drivers correct but can't tell from the one photo. The back on the passenger seat is not correct though. Looks to be a later model seat back at least.

Fantastic 45, thanks for the photos. It's always great to see these in their mostly original state.

X2 on the back of the pass seat being wrong, maybe the base also, it doesn't look to have the cutout for the filler tube.

if going disc, you'll need a newer axle housing. If staying stockish with the drums, atleast upgrade to a dual circuit system.

I'm thinking 65 also, with the windshield vent flap

Nice find, GLWI

Yep, chart says that frame FJ45 21933 is January 1965 production.

Interesting to think that it may have sat on a car lot for two years before being first sold.

Good luck with your project.

Yep, chart says that frame FJ45 21933 is January 1965 production.

Interesting to think that it may have sat on a car lot for two years before being first sold.

Good luck with your project.

I've seen and heard of several '65s that didn't sell until '67. Same with 66s and '67s. It's gotten to the point where any vendor who'se been bitten by selling wrong year parts based on only a customer's 'stated' year model will know to ask specific questions.

The diagonal fan inlet cover would have done it for me.;)

Gary, the MCs were originally tin cup for this production date. Since yours have been replaced with plastic cup models, there's a chance you have 'newer' wheel cylinders as well. Worth taking a look before you pull the trigger on a swap. Still, I run a dual circuit MC on all my rigs. Plenty of adapter plates in stock. I can bring one to CMCC next month.

As far as the fuel leak in the carb, the face of the carb is probably warped. I see that a lot on the 1bbls. I have a jig to straighten them in the course of the rebuild process.

Nice ride Gary! FWIW Jim C. has a similar year 45 short box with all new drum brakes. He's tossing all that stuff for disc brakes. You might contact him about buying the crap that falls off...

While I'd stick with drum brakes I agree with Mark A. - swap to a dual circuit system.

Nick

X2 on the back of the pass seat being wrong, maybe the base also, it doesn't look to have the cutout for the filler tube.

X2
Wrong seat base for a 45 pickup. The pickup seat legs are not arched and just go straight at the front edge of the seat. The back mount would be longer since it mounts further back.

Well there's an update. Had some pointers from jim C about troubleshooting the ignition system and was able to figure out the no-spark problem with that help. The contacts on the points were not passing current tthrough. I didn't have a new point set so carefully filed the contacts and now have current flowing betweenh them. Bought a new coil and some new spark plugs and she started? Ran for about thirty seconds then I shut it down as the carb is leaking (next issue). At least we know it's getting spark and runs.

Replaced the entire fuel line from tank to the steel line going to the carburetor. Someone had spliced in a plastic filter between the pump and carb. The original filter with removable bowl was still in place but had been bypassed. I put in an early 40 series Toyota steel filter with the angled outlet, made a bracket to mount it to the battery stand. Someone had relocated the battery tray rearward (made it hard to work on the distributor!) so I moved it forward to where it should be. Replaced all the heater and radiator hoses and put in new coolant, was pleasantly surprised to see that the coolant that was drained was nice and green looking. Bypassed the heater for now since had been removed anyway and was already bypassed in the cab. Put on a new fan belt while the hood was up, too.

Next up is clutch hydraulics. I figure even without brakes if the clutch is operable I can move the truck in and out of the garage as needed. Does anyone make a rebuild kit for the clutch master cylinder? Can't be much to it. Or is a new or rebuilt clutch master still available? I didn't look underneath at the slave but assume it is a typical land cruiser type and I have a few of those in my parts cabinet.

Moving along, anyway. Thanks for all the input!

Awesome find Gary! Thanks for bringing another one back to life. Out of curiosity, where in MD to you grab it from? Was just wondering if this was under my nose!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom