This build will make a preacher drink (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After trusting the owner that there was no issues , our frame off now shows , you can't trust anyone , what happen to being honest and telling the guy buying your rig , yea it had issues and we didn't know what the hell we were doing and it's a basket case . All I can do is laugh and pop another cold one and order more metal panels lol
IMG_2840.JPG
IMG_2843.JPG
IMG_2841.JPG
IMG_2839.JPG
IMG_2838.JPG

Ouch that makes mine look good.

Mine will look worse than that when it comes time to blast it. It's 3/16" thick with filler in some spots.

Mine would make that look pristine when I bought it... although I didn't pay much.

How do you know the owner was the original owner? You seem to be accusing him of ripping you off. I'm sure if it was done prior to him owning it he may not have known. Even if you took your truck to a body guy, some might "fix it" exactly the same way your sandblasting revealed, with bondo. Just saying, some might think that is a perfectly acceptable way of finishing bodywork(myself and apparently you not included).Did you have conversation about the body and if he had done any work to it prior to your purchase? I know a lot of people omit a lot of things about the condition of their car or circumstances that have happened to them in that car prior to selling. I have owned a lot of cruisers, some of the things I have found over the years have left me flabbergasted. I will say though that I have never seen a car that has no bondo in it when you try to blast it entirely to clean metal. Such is life

To tall the owner stated he personally fixed the vehicle , stripped it down and had installed new floor pans , he looked at me and said I didn't cut any corners , I did it right , I'm not saying he ripped me off , I'm saying he wasn't truthful in his comments , and he will be shocked when I show him how a real restoration is done, without filer and fiberglass .

Bondo pannels will cut out and new steel welded in

Some previous "owner's statements" are like a box of chocolates, never know what you're gonna get.

Some things never change. I had a new guy come into the shop in 1991 with a freshly sprayed 1969 FJ40. A typical 10 footer, even for those days.

He came in a few weeks later and asked me to look at some unusual cracks that had shown up in the body after he took it wheeling.

Half the exterior of the tub had been reskinned with pop-riveted sheets and skim coated with bondo to hide the rivets and seams before the respray.:eek:

One man's issues are another man's :meh:

But that's a lot of mud, even for a mudder...

Still it looks like a 40 even after sand blasting.
Mine have a bit more work to even get to where you are now.
But it doesn't excuse the guy for misrepresenting.
Have fun doing it right with lots of pictures please, that is what we are here for.

I'm going to be a bit kinder than some of the other posters. Where was your magnet? We had two! We spent about 45 minutes over, under and through Miss Scarlet before buying. We did know better than buy a bondo queen having plugged more than a few holes in our first FJ40.

I'd say he lied his ass off. But look on the bright side, now you have a chance do it the right way.

Sounds like the PO has a black belt in "confu". The dead give away that "corners were cut", is the smooth steel in the bed. Hopefully you replace it with corrugated steel. I've seen many pictures on MUD of waay worse rigs though. Enjoy your project:cheers:

get the bondo off and take a torch, hammer and dolly to the tub. you will be supprized what you can straighten if the metal is still good underneath. A good shrinking dolly and a little heat will do a lot and its quicker than cutting and welding once you practice a little. Being that the tub is 14ga, so start with and big hammer and shrinking dolly with a little heat, you can also use a shrinking disk. you will be amazed what you can fix.. good luck...

You need a new sandblaster guy. Like Jetranger said, why did he do half a job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom