Thinking about switching to GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all,

I currently have an LX450 locked/lifted/armor/35s and am thinking about making the switch to a GX. I am curious if anyone has made that switch and could offer any insight? Looking at them I am curious about which coil over kit to run, Radflow/Icon/King. This will probably be less of rock crawling and more exploring rig. I have wheeled my 80 pretty well but dont seem to have the time to use it for what i want and feel that i am wasting its potential. Plus V8 is always better.

Any tips for what suspension/ideas would be greatly appreciated and would love to hear from other 80 owners on the idea.

I did that a couple of years ago - oddly enough, I bought my LX450 in Reno.

I realized that for what I actually wanted to do (exploring and traveling, not rock crawling) that a locked 80 on 35's was overkill. The 10-13mpg and 15-20 seconds to get to highway speed helped that decision.

I'm in love with the GX and have my second one now. I sold my first when I moved from AZ to NJ (sold it to my dad in TX, who's wanted a 4x4 for a while). I realized that, when I was looking for another one before I had even left my dad's place after dropping the GX off, that I wasn't going to be able to go without one (as originally planned). Sooo, I found an older one with higher miles for $10k less than my first one and grabbed it.

Now I get to start all over. :p

I don't think you can go wrong with Radflo, Icon, or King. MetalTech makes extended travel setups for the rear suspension - if you don't get a KDSS model, that may be worth doing. As I spend most of my time on pavement, I refuse to remove sway bars and I prefer the on-road stability advantages of KDSS (and off-road articulation advantages that KDSS provides compared to ordinary swaybars). If you're willing to remove sways, you can gain a lot of travel at the expense of road handling ability.

Ironman 4x4's Foam Cell Pro setup is also very well regarded and is likely the route I will take.

Sold my lx450 lifted, locked, arb, sliders, 12k warn winch, on 37's etc...

Bought my Gx470 and will never look back, between the ride, mpg even on true 34's, with radflo lift. I'm beyond happy.

Did I mention I can pass people on the highway now, and not just cause there broke down on the side of the road.........

2013-09-10 15.16.22.jpg

Good luck with your decision.

Jeremy

I think more 80 owners convert to the GX than FJ/4R owners because the GX is similar size, and has so much better power. The offroad prowess isn't the same, but not that many people really pushed their 80s that far (I did). I love my 80, but it is for sale. I actually sold a 100 to get the GX because I believed it would turn into what it is turning into! The future is bright for the GX, and more vendors come on board every week!

I realized that for what I actually wanted to do (exploring and traveling, not rock crawling) that a locked 80 on 35's was overkill. The 10-13mpg and 15-20 seconds to get to highway speed helped that decision.

I'm in love with the GX and have my second one now. I sold my first when I moved from AZ to NJ (sold it to my dad in TX, who's wanted a 4x4 for a while). I realized that, when I was looking for another one before I had even left my dad's place after dropping the GX off, that I wasn't going to be able to go without one (as originally planned). Sooo, I found an older one with higher miles for $10k less than my first one and grabbed it.

I don't think you can go wrong with Radflo, Icon, or King. MetalTech makes extended travel setups for the rear suspension - if you don't get a KDSS model, that may be worth doing. As I spend most of my time on pavement, I refuse to remove sway bars and I prefer the on-road stability advantages of KDSS (and off-road articulation advantages that KDSS provides compared to ordinary swaybars). If you're willing to remove sways, you can gain a lot of travel at the expense of road handling ability.

Ironman 4x4's Foam Cell Pro setup is also very well regarded and is likely the route I will take.
That is awesome! I will be looking more into the GX coilover kits. I just want to be able to go faster :bang:

Sold my lx450 lifted, locked, arb, sliders, 12k warn winch, on 37's etc...

Bought my Gx470 and will never look back, between the ride, mpg even on true 34's, with radflo lift. I'm beyond happy.

Did I mention I can pass people on the highway now, and not just cause there broke down on the side of the road.........

View attachment 1415618

Good luck with your decision.

Jeremy
V8 and being able to pass people is the dream. I get stuck going 35-45 over the pass while everyone else is doing 65+ and it kills me

I think more 80 owners convert to the GX than FJ/4R owners because the GX is similar size, and has so much better power. The offroad prowess isn't the same, but not that many people really pushed their 80s that far (I did). I love my 80, but it is for sale. I actually sold a 100 to get the GX because I believed it would turn into what it is turning into! The future is bright for the GX, and more vendors come on board every week!
Glad to hear that! It seems that I will be looking to sell the 80 and move forwards. Its funny, my parents had an 80 and a GX so its funny that i am moving through them as well

That is awesome! I will be looking more into the GX coilover kits. I just want to be able to go faster :bang:

This is my bone-stock GX right now:

You'll definitely be able to go faster. :)

This is my bone-stock GX right now:

You'll definitely be able to go faster. :)

Thank god, that would be a huge upgrade from my cars slow doddle to 55. Also some of those GX guys put chips/exhausts and damn does that 2uz sound mean.

My story is basically the same as JLee's. I had a semi built 80; triple locked, 32s, front and rear bumpers, exhaust, lift, sliders, etc. It would climb over anything and never even think twice but I also began to rethink my intended purpose of the truck. I wanted to do less rock crawling and more overlanding/general offroading. I was tiring of the 45mph hill climbs and the 11mpg tank refills. I sold the 80 and bought my GX last year and honestly have never looked back. Coming from an 80, you will like the creature comforts ( heated seats, working AC, key-less entry lol) and you will love the V8 torque, and better fuel economy. As others have said, the GX is nowhere near what an 80 is off-road but unless you're climbing the wall at Poughkeepsie Gulch when you go out, you will never really miss it.

Some anecdotal information; I took the GX to the last FJ Summit in Ouray, Colorado. I took it on Black Bear and Imogene trails and had no problem keeping up with the FJs. Even areas which gave the FJs some trouble did not phase me in the GX. I am not sure if it was due to the driver, or the power in the GX, tires, ATRAC or a combination of everything, but I was pleased at the capability.

My story is basically the same as JLee's. I had a semi built 80; triple locked, 32s, front and rear bumpers, exhaust, lift, sliders, etc. It would climb over anything and never even think twice but I also began to rethink my intended purpose of the truck. I wanted to do less rock crawling and more overlanding/general offroading. I was tiring of the 45mph hill climbs and the 11mpg tank refills. I sold the 80 and bought my GX last year and honestly have never looked back. Coming from an 80, you will like the creature comforts ( heated seats, working AC, key-less entry lol) and you will love the V8 torque, and better fuel economy. As others have said, the GX is nowhere near what an 80 is off-road but unless you're climbing the wall at Poughkeepsie Gulch when you go out, you will never really miss it.

Some anecdotal information; I took the GX to the last FJ Summit in Ouray, Colorado. I took it on Black Bear and Imogene trails and had no problem keeping up with the FJs. Even areas which gave the FJs some trouble did not phase me in the GX. I am not sure if it was due to the driver, or the power in the GX, tires, ATRAC or a combination of everything, but I was pleased at the capability.
Awesome that is good to hear, I have wheeled mine a fair bit but school has been going crazy and dont have the time to wheel as much as i would like. My family had a GX and i know that i loved that car. So i think that this will probably be a better fit for me at the moment. Plus i can always get a tin can toyota in the future and beat on that up at the Rubicon and Fordyce

Get in touch with @crikeymike or @David Otero at Dobinsons... They can get you set up for what you want.
Landcruiser 120 Series Prado (2003 - 11/2009) - RZJ/VZJ/KZJ/KDJ 125, RZJ/VZJ/GRJ/KZJ/KDJ 120, VZJ/KDJ 121 - https://www.dobinsonsprings.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom