Builds The Story of Blue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

*Oh, also should note, since you had 11 gradations, I think it's unlikely a dead globe. How old are the rear globes?
Sorry for high-jacking post, but I am always seeing this and trying to understand logic behind it. How is shot globes have to do anything with graduations?

My logic is:
1. Shot globe means leak at diaphragm. Means diaphragm does not work and globe get's filled with fluid.
2. Graduations show how much fluid is used within system to get from L to H. Let fluid (less graduations) just means that truck is not going as high as needed.

I understand I am wrong, but how?

Are you running a sensor lift? If so, what height are you at and are you using shock extension brackets?

Also, remind us, do you still have bubbles when flushing fluid out?

You've got a very heavy rig and I'm not surprised the King springs aren't enough. I think it's time for beefier springs and torsion bars if those aren't already swapped out.

Conventional switch? My typical line is "only if you have lines rusting apart". A decent swap will run you $2k and a weekend. That's a lot of time and $$ that could go towards AHC and likely result in a better ride quality when you're done. 🤷

*Oh, also should note, since you had 11 gradations, I think it's unlikely a dead globe. How old are the rear globes?

No sensor lift or shock extension or modifications at all. I can measure the hub-to-fender height and report back.
Yes - I had bubbles in the fluid the last time I flushed - currently waiting for the AHC fluid to come in before flushing it again

PO did put LC torsion bars and rear springs - I replaced the rears with Kings and I agree that was a mistake. They will be going back in soon
Globes are all 20 years old factory original.

My plan is to flush the system with lots and lots of fresh fluid and get front and rear pressures in spec before buying any new globes.

Sorry for high-jacking post, but I am always seeing this and trying to understand logic behind it. How is shot globes have to do anything with graduations?

My logic is:
1. Shot globe means leak at diaphragm. Means diaphragm does not work and globe get's filled with fluid.
2. Graduations show how much fluid is used within system to get from L to H. Let fluid (less graduations) just means that truck is not going as high as needed.

The height difference is a relative constant. It should always take the system X liters to move from L to H since that's hard programmed in the ECU. So that movement (disregarding globes entirely) will always take a very specific amount of fluid. I suspect it's around 4 gradations in the AHC reservoir since that's about the minimum people ever see.

Beyond the height change is the change in the globe volume as they compress. With no pressure in the system (L height), the globes are as expanded as possible. Think of a bag of potato chips at high altitude. The globe is nice and plump. When you move to H, the AHC fluid pushes in on the diaphragms of the globes and compresses the gas inside. The gas chamber in the globe shrinks and consumes less volume with its gas. That space is now taken up by AHC fluid. The additional volume is added to the L to H height difference in fluid and now you'll see more gradations in the reservoir. New globes yield about 14 grads. Toyota says globes are "dead" at 7 gradations. Completely flat globes seem to be around 4.

Hopefully that makes sense.

No sensor lift or shock extension or modifications at all. I can measure the hub-to-fender height and report back.
Yes - I had bubbles in the fluid the last time I flushed - currently waiting for the AHC fluid to come in before flushing it again

PO did put LC torsion bars and rear springs - I replaced the rears with Kings and I agree that was a mistake. They will be going back in soon
Globes are all 20 years old factory original.

My plan is to flush the system with lots and lots of fresh fluid and get front and rear pressures in spec before buying any new globes.

Yeah, have to flush. Air bubbles in the fluid will ruin the ride.

If you have 20 year old globes, those are 100% shot, IMO. I would be amazed (and frankly, can't believe it) if 20 year old OEM globes are giving 11 gradations at OEM pressures. If you're over pressure, you might be getting more grads than at correct pressures. I'd buy new globes via Impex. $700.

My logic is:

• 'Operating height of LC100/LX470 fitted with AHC is controlled by signals from Height Control Sensors, and the ECU controlling the AHC Pump, and the Levelling Valves in the Control Valve Assembly,
  • Assuming the AHC system and components are healthy and not overloaded, the vehicle always returns to the same Front and Rear heights for "LO" and for "HI" height settings, as selected at the centre console switch -- that is the way the system is designed and that is the intended operation of Active Height Control (AHC) system,
  • The difference in fluid levels at "LO" and "HI" at the AHC Tank comes partly from the change in volume contained by the 'shock absorbers' -- this part remains constant because the physical height change always remains the same, as regulated by the Height Control Sensors/ECU/Pump/Levelling Valves,
  • The other part of the volume change at the AHC Tank caused by the movement between "HI" and "LO" comes from the nitrogen pressure behind the membrane in the 'globes' pushing some fluid volume back to the tank in this test,
  • At "LO", the share of the vehicle weight carried by the springs/torsion bars is highest and the AHC pressure is lowest -- the nitrogen gas pressure on the membrane in a new 'globe' will push more fluid back to the AHC Tank than old 'globes' with diminished pressure due to age and diffusion of nitrogen through or around the membrane and possible rupture,
  • 'Globes' play no role in controlling vehicle height -- the hydraulic performance of AHC system would remain the same even if 'globes' were blanked off,
  • For standardisation, the "HI/LO" test is only comparable with the FSM indications when the 'globes' are at the FSM-specified pressure range,
  • As indicated by @suprarx7nut, the fluid displacement attributed to 'globes' overall in this test provides an 'index' of 'globe' condition, as there is no provision for direct measurement of the remaining nitrogen pressure,
  • The picture below and the General Description and diagrams explaining the AHC/TEMS systems may be helpful, see https://lc100e.github.io/manual/ at tabs: New Car Features > CHASSIS > SUSPENSION > Active Height Control Suspension and Skyhook TEMS.
AHC globe internal details.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, I made more sacrifice to this blood thirsty beast. Ordered all 4 new globes from Impex and for good measure also ordered a new pump and O ring. We'll see how long that takes!
Not sure, if there is much point in flushing the system now until I put on the new globes!

Alright, I made more sacrifice to this blood thirsty beast. Ordered all 4 new globes from Impex and for good measure also ordered a new pump and O ring. We'll see how long that takes!
Not sure, if there is much point in flushing the system now until I put on the new globes!

All in!

Yeah, so far I have tripled my investment in this truck. 5 months in and I have yet to take it on any significant trip. Hopefully this will be the last of big ticket items. (not really, who am I kidding? I still need to completely redo the dual battery charging system and probably replace the timing belt which is almost 8 years old)

Yeah, so far I have tripled my investment in this truck. 5 months in and I have yet to take it on any significant trip. Hopefully this will be the last of big ticket items. (not really, who am I kidding? I still need to completely redo the dual battery charging system and probably replace the timing belt which is almost 8 years old)
IMHO...it is worth it.

So while suspension issue now has to wait for a while, I started looking into why I am not getting any sound in the front 2 doors. Took off the passenger seat and found the cables were pulled out for the front doors. Once I fixed those, I was still not getting any sound.
So off came the driver's side door panel. Looks like a not too shabby Focal 165 series components! After checking and re-checking all the connections I got sound out of the tweeter but nothing out of the speaker! The speaker seems to be not busted (checked with a 9v battery).
The crossover has a lot of dust in it and pieces of wool or something, which leads me to think the crossover has breathed it's last :flush:

Now as far as I can tell this is a Focal 165 kit: Focal ES 165K - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ES165K/Focal-ES-165K.html.
The new kit is definitely beyond what I want to sink into this. I called both Crutchfield and then Focal America to see if I can get replacement crossovers, without any luck.
What are my options now? Buy cheap 2 way crossover from Amazon to see if it would work or go with inexpensive Morels?

crossover.jpg

Yes, makes perfect sense now. But also it means that we don’t know if all globes ok-ish. 3 can be good and one totally shot and we will get 7+ graduations right?
Yup, exactly. You understand it well. All we have is an overall sum health. Theoretically you could get good gradation numbers and have a dead globe. Generally, that would be noticeable because one corner would have nearly no damping at all, but yes, the globe check only identifies the "average" health.
Nice work. I'd probably hold off until you get the new globes in.
I went down a similar path recently on my 06. Bought for ~$11k ($16k, but came with lots of goodies I sold off) and have since put 2-3x that into maintenance, repairs, mods, etc... Worth every penny, IMO. Wouldn't trade it for $50k now. If the bones are good, dive in and don't look back. :D
So while suspension issue now has to wait for a while, I started looking into why I am not getting any sound in the front 2 doors. Took off the passenger seat and found the cables were pulled out for the front doors. Once I fixed those, I was still not getting any sound.
So off came the driver's side door panel. Looks like a not too shabby Focal 165 series components! After checking and re-checking all the connections I got sound out of the tweeter but nothing out of the speaker! The speaker seems to be not busted (checked with a 9v battery).
The crossover has a lot of dust in it and pieces of wool or something, which leads me to think the crossover has breathed it's last :flush:

Now as far as I can tell this is a Focal 165 kit: Focal ES 165K - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ES165K/Focal-ES-165K.html.
The new kit is definitely beyond what I want to sink into this. I called both Crutchfield and then Focal America to see if I can get replacement crossovers, without any luck.
What are my options now? Buy cheap 2 way crossover from Amazon to see if it would work or go with inexpensive Morels?

View attachment 2750195

I'm liking this thread more and more. Those speakers were my #2 pick when I was shopping a few years back. Really nice sound, IMO. I'd give these a try before giving up on those. You're not going to get anything else that sounds nearly that nice for less than $400. If a $115 crossover pair sets you free then you're coming out ahead.

(unsure if those are exactly correct, but something similar that is exactly right should be available)

You need to run T.W.A.T. on the new LX. Would be a good test run!

You need to run T.W.A.T. on the new LX. Would be a good test run!
I have thought about it a lot but isn't Trans Wis trail mostly mild dirt roads and can be done in any old AWD vehicle? Have you been on it?

I have thought about it a lot but isn't Trans Wis trail mostly mild dirt roads and can be done in any old AWD vehicle? Have you been on it?
Yes I've done it. You are correct it can be done in a Corolla if you try hard. A 3x locked 100 would be slightly overbuilt for it...

It is a good shake down for new parts/equipment before you go to the rockies.

Another good trail would be the Iron Range OHV area, that would definitely put the 100 to the test! In my stock 100 I can't do the difficult trails, lots of potential for panel damage.

Last edited:
Yes I've done it. You are correct it can be done in a Corolla if you try hard. A 3x locked 100 would be slightly overbuilt for it...

It is a good shake down for new parts/equipment before you go to the rockies.

Another good trail would be the Iron Range OHV area, that would definitely put the 100 to the test! In my stock 100 I can't do the difficult trails, lots of potential for panel damage.
Classy knows a little sumthin about panel damage.....................let's keep blue straight...........:cautious: :beer: :worms:

I got the driver's side sound system to work. Chose to replace the woofer, tweeter and the crossover with Morel. Also, took the opportunity to add some dynamat to the outer and inner skin of the door. Did it make a difference? Who knows, I have never heard a peep from the front two doors before so I am not sure what they sounded like before. They sound fine to me now.

Also, FedEx decided to deliver my package from the @Ironman 4x4 USA, only 4 days late. I got 30mm rear spring spacers and front LCA strengthening brackets.
20210811_140834.jpg

I wasted no time and ripped out the King springs and put in the LC springs with the new 30 mm spacers. Hopefully this will fix the rear AHC pressures. I will report back once I get a chance to hook it up to Techstream and get fresh readings.

A side by side comparison showing LC springs are about 3 inches taller than the Kings.

20210811_142532.jpg

Hooked up the techstream and was pleased to see the rear pressure at 6.5 Mpa. Fronts are still high but hopefully it can be cured by re-indexing. Went for a quick 10 miles ride and found the rear to be a lot more planted - no more uncontrolled bouncing in the rear! :clap:

I think it might be weeks before I will get my globes from Impex but at least it is drivable again!
With spacers.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom