Builds The official Boost build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Box. With the trip coming to Colorado, figured it was time to build the box I have been talking about forever. Stole ideas from several different boxes I have seen over the years. Thanks to @StucknKS for tricks on shimming under the box. Ends up that our floors are not flat. There is one rib in the front of the rear axle that is higher by 3/8 inch!

I found some locking slides on ebay. They are shortish, but seem to work great. May upgrade to longer ones in the future.

The drawer is made from HDPE. There is enough tension that it does not slide around, but slick enough that you can pull it easily. Thanks again Stucknks for that idea.

Need to figure out a cool method to lock down the ARB.

Finally, stole the tires that are for my son's rig for the trip. The goodyear tires make this look totally different.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Winch waterproof. Need to thank @half k cruiser for his information thread on waterproofing the HF badlands winch. I went ahead and clocked it and cut and turned the engagement level. If found that if you cut and turn it clockwise 90 degrees it is much easier to operate, and you can move the winch back further, thus move your bumper back more.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Got the rough project wrapped up and installed ready for Colorado. I will take it out Sand it and finish it when we get back. Only unplanned thing was that when the rear hatch is shut there's a curvature to the back of the car that meant I had to push forward the fridge a little more than planned. Right now I kind of like that the fridge only slides out 20 inches but the lower drawer I can't access the back so I would like it to be a little longer
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I got the bumper done (for now) and hit the trails
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

@2fpower first pic looks like North London mine at the top of Mosquito Pass, where was the second pic taken ?

I'm pretty sure that was on Taylor Pass. It had a long section of driving in the stream.

@2fpower first pic looks like North London mine at the top of Mosquito Pass, where was the second pic taken ?
Yep, Taylor pass. Of course that is @StucknKS rig in the picture. Mike, I like your new Avitar. Anyone know where that came from?

More Pictures....
P8290332.jpg
P8290308.jpg
P8290312.jpg
P8290328.jpg
P8290319.jpg

and more.

The white road is near Marble Colorado. They were spreading marble filings on the road that day making the pure white road.

The cabin was on top of a mountain near Breck. Had a wood stove in it, provisions people had left for you to stay the night.

Thanks go to @StucknKS for planning the amazing trip.
P8290374.jpg
P8290390.jpg
P8290445.jpg
P8290351.jpg
P8290396.jpg

Decided that before I finalize the rear storage I needed to get the sub woofer finished Based my ideas off of some old threads what people build fiberglass enclosures in the rear quarter panel. Started making a rough foam insert to act like a mold. I am just not sure of my fiberglass skills to make a mold in place.

Second step was to wrap the mold with aluminum tape. I think that will allow it to release and be a smoother surface.

Then, I decided to go ahead and put a 1/2 plywood cap to be the mounting surface on the front.

4 layers of fiberglass later it looked interesting.

Plan is to figure out where I want the sub to mount now (recall that I had to remove the rear cubby) and then cut the hole and then extract all the foam out of the mold.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Installed a inverter underneath Tuffy box. I like that it has a on off switch as well as four USB ports all located on the rear side -- so they will be easily accessible
IMG_6359.JPG
IMG_6360.JPG

Last edited:
Stained the rear cargo boxes and four coats polyurethane Waiting a few days for it to dry, then will sand any inperfections out and put the final coat down
IMG_6356.JPG

Update pictures of the sub, and the inverter under the tuffy box. I also made some aluminum dividers the Tuffy box to be able to organize things better
IMG_6369.JPG
IMG_6372.JPG
IMG_6373.JPG
IMG_6377.JPG

Shiny things.
IMG_6380.JPG

Slee short bus modification. Added lights.
IMG_7421.JPG
IMG_7424.JPG

I was told a lil sub enclosure tip from an ex MTX audio installer, use felt in place of fiberglass, then just spray or brush with resin, like you would the sheet type glass... easier to work it and to smooth out and paint...

Polar fleece works great too - absorbs enough to go single layer for asthetic areas, or stapled over a wood skeleton & layered you can get crazy.
Points if you can find Hello Kitty print fleece - I had Christmas Hello Kitty print on a box build myself :p

@2fpower - what's the lights about? I can't visualize anything but a "puddle light" -effect (or relayed reverse / cargo helper light?) in a rear corner if it went in the rear bumper.

This is a strange sight...
IMG_7790.JPG

Luckily, that was not followed with a call to the insurance agency.... I had the sandblaster out so I sandblasted the Rims and painted them with the bronze we wheel paint. Not sold on the look with the 40th paint color
IMG_7793.JPG
IMG_7794.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom