Builds The official Boost build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, about time that I start a thread for the next daily driver since FOO lost it's top. This one has become as Boost around our house. Got the name because it is Supercharged.

I had been looking for another 96-97 LX or LC with lockers, and was really looking for something with a supercharger on it. I found this 40th on ebay, and contacted the seller who was very open about the service history and the issues it had. The problem was that the front pulley seal failed and let the oil out that then caused some major engine issues. Loud knock was what I was told.

So, I have a 167k mile beast. 40th interior leather. New 185 tires and new lift. Interior was pretty good condition. We all say no rust, but this one is really clean -- maybe cleanest one I have seen.

The po also noted that when the supercharger was rebuild about 10k miles ago, it had a small oil leak at the nose of the charger. When tearing down, I found no oil lines going to the SC, so if that is true, I have more issues. Is there a way to check oil level in SC? I am thinking (after consult with Friend, Colin) that the front pulley seal was leaking and the fan blew the oil all over, including the pulley of the SC.

Well, I got it early in the year, but had no time to work on it until this weekend. Pulled the engine with tranny/transfer out. Flipped it over and the mains look fine, but the rod bearings look toasted and there is scarring on the crank. I am thinking that it needs to be gone through totally. Open to hear your comments. I will post up pics of the wear we found.

I had picked up an extra engine knowing that I might need it, so after finding the wear, I pulled the head off the new engine and sent it off to get refreshed. Will pull pan and reseal and since I did not get the chain secured very good, will pull front off the engine and clean up all the parts and check the chain.

Question, can I powdercoat all the aluminum parts? (keeping the mating surfaces clean of course)

$_57.jpg
$_57d.jpg
$_57g.jpg
$_57rr.jpg

The list is long of what I want to do.

Reserved for index to be like Jose.

Reserved for current pics

Current list of mods while engine is out.

Thinking about figuring out how to move dryer up by battery.

Maybe raptor liner under car where tranny is and on frame.

Cut out cats - weld in stainless.

Replacing every piece of rubber -- coolant, vacuum, fuel, everything refreshed.

Painting engine up nice, sanding down clean and powdercoating everything that I can.

Ok, need help on what color to powder coat the valve cover, timing cover, engine mounts, oil pump cover, thermostat cover and related tubing. May step up and do the entire intake plenum too.

Note: the supercharger has that industrial grey on it, and I don't plan on changing that.

The po also noted that when the supercharger was rebuild about 10k miles ago, it had a small oil leak at the nose of the charger. When tearing down, I found no oil lines going to the SC, so if that is true, I have more issues. Is there a way to check oil level in SC? I am thinking (after consult with Friend, Colin) that the front pulley seal was leaking and the fan blew the oil all over, including the pulley of the SC.

There are no external oil lines to the TRD supercharger, it is a self contained unit. Replace the seals if they are leaking otherwise drain and fill with the appropriate volume of new oil.

Ok, need help on what color to powder coat the valve cover, timing cover, engine mounts, oil pump cover, thermostat cover and related tubing. May step up and do the entire intake plenum too.

Note: the supercharger has that industrial grey on it, and I don't plan on changing that.

Duplicolor makes a shade called New Ford Grey, yeah I know it says Ford, but the Norwegians prounounce it Fjord ! Anyhow it really helps you to track down any leaks after your rebuild. The link in my sig will have some pictures of a block and head done in that color with black VC, looks pretty nice.

There are no external oil lines to the TRD supercharger, it is a self contained unit. Replace the seals if they are leaking otherwise drain and fill with the appropriate volume of new oil.

Thanks PPC. I also got an email from Jon Bond (the supercharger rebuilder) and he said 6.0 to 6.7 oz of fluid. I will pull the plug, measure the oil coming out and see if there was a leak.

Duplicolor makes a shade called New Ford Grey, yeah I know it says Ford, but the Norwegians prounounce it Fjord ! Anyhow it really helps you to track down any leaks after your rebuild. The link in my sig will have some pictures of a block and head done in that color with black VC, looks pretty nice.

HOLY COW>> I totally did not see the colors the first time I read your thread. Wow! What did you do to the plastic covers over the spark plug wires?

HOLY COW>> I totally did not see the colors the first time I read your thread. Wow! What did you do to the plastic covers over the spark plug wires?

Its the same gray as the block and head. You have to clean the plastic really well with some alcohol or de greaser, otherwise the paint will not stick.

Very cool. Some sort of engine paint, correct? Or was it a different plastic paint?

Colors I have found for powdercoating. Need to look for paint for block too. Thinking that industrial grey/ fjord grey. Powder by the pound is mailing me samples of greens and greys to look at.

greenstarry.jpg
darkfrog1.jpg

Click to zoom
ral7003.jpg

Click to zoom

I like the last 2 colors

engine-enamel-2.jpg

174476.jpg
Duplicolor magnesium.

IMG_7456 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7454 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7455 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7453 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7451 - Copy.JPG
finally getting this computer to work... ok, these are pics of the rod bearings and the crank at the rod.

Beno- thoughts?
IMG_7463.JPG

IMG_7449.JPG

IMG_7464.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom