Builds The official Boost build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to go ahead and rebuild the front and a boost.... and I must say it's not what you know, its who you know.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440954805.760381.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440954817.412506.jpg

Might as well start another project too.....

Mike came over and helped take apart the stock rear bumper.

No bolts were harmed in the shooting of this film....

IMG_3596.jpg

Love the license plate.....

Wow, I missed posting about a few things.

Finally unboxed the 4x4 labs rear bumper kit.

made some tie down points, custom mount for tire, to let it hang lower, then spin and raise it for clearance, and added some LED rear lights. Finished with the two part epoxy and JD blitz black.

IMG_4384.jpg

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4385.jpg

Also did 7 pin mod, and added the usb connection for the radio.
IMG_4379.jpg
IMG_4378.jpg

Then did the Landtank fan clutch
IMG_4377.jpg

And then decided to add the boost gauge on a car that I call boost. Seems silly. What if we added a Ih8MUD gauge to this website. Big thanks to @half k cruiser for the paint hook up.
IMG_4375.jpg
IMG_4374.jpg
IMG_4376.jpg

For any nostalgia buffs. Fj40 early license plate light and frame.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1452541033.842733.jpg

And thanks to @half
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1452541063.111889.jpg

Well, finally time to make sliders. My motivation has been to make a step so the family can get in and out easier, to do something heavier that will ever need be used, to make it as high and tight as possible, have a kickout for trees, and look good. My idea has been to use some rectangle tube, much like metal tech, but to put it at an angle to get the step higher.

The issue was quickly identified that by the front and rear tire, the rocker bumps out and that made the slider sit out about 1". Thanks to the new plasma cutter, I adapted the ends and reinforced the bottom with some DOM that fit nice and snug. I will weld it in before it is finished.

IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

IMG_5157.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5154.JPG

Thanks to @tornadoalleycruiser I used his JD2 bender to put a 60 degree angle on the front side of the kickout and a 90 degree on the back side. Not sure if it is @kc_chevota 1.5" die, but thanks to him for many other reasons anyway. Decided to keep the slider pretty tight to the body.... may regret that later, but this should not be to hard offroaded. You can see the frame bolt on brackets I made, and I did put in large gussets both from the frame attachment points and where the rectangle tube turns up. That is 3/8 plate to give more support. I understand the engineering here (especially with the kickout) would say this is not the smartest; however, with the amount of overkill in stock size and the gussets, I hope that it will work.
IMG_5155.JPG
IMG_5158.JPG
IMG_5159.JPG
IMG_5166.JPG

One down, and one to go before I take off and weld it all pretty, and drop on the John Deere Blitz black paint. I am welding it pretty solid on while it is attached to the frame, so I don't have any unexpected movement from welding.
IMG_5172.JPG
IMG_5170.JPG
IMG_5171.JPG

More progress. Under the cats, needed to fab a bend, found some bent stainless from scrap bin diving.

image.jpg

Building in the ends.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Since your pretty local to me, where do you buy steel? Been looking for somewhere better priced than metal by the foot, arm & leg...

I've got an identical 40th Anniversary to yours and need to do gauges as well. What is the gauge pod you've got there, and where did you get it? Cheers!

Gauge pod was on amazon, universal. Make single and double.

DUane at Techtafab bent up some tube to connect the resonator. It came out when I installed the 4 x 4 labs bumper . Amazing how much quieter it is on the highway. I basically took the mount for the resonator flipped it onto the other side of the frame rail.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Got an invite to go to Colorado, so decided it was time to speed up a few items on the list. Started with a winch which meant creating the center part of the new front bumper.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

More progress. While I was working on the front end, did the other items that were on the to do list. First, lost the office supplies and threw the paper clip away. Added a cooler from a mid year ford. Love these things! thanks @tornadoalleycruiser for showing me these!

Added a cooling fan from a 100 series that is run by a manual switch in the cab. I have a modified landtank orange clutch; however, in the mountains, you can never have enough cooling!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom