The Mule. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I piddled around with the wiring and fianlly the tank was dry and I dropped in place and test fitted the end. I also added a new grommet to the floor. Like a glove.

Fuel Line 008.jpg

Then I started to assemble the other side once I cut the line to length. I actually cut it with a cut off wheel as the SS was so tough. Here is a pick of the fitting itself.

Fuel Line 009.jpg

And assembly pretty much the same as before but this fitting is made by Earls so it is a bit different.

Fuel Line 011.jpg
Fuel Line 008.jpg
Fuel Line 009.jpg
Fuel Line 011.jpg

So I then got under the truck and cut the flared end off the hardline...

Fuel Line 010.jpg

...and connected the very cool compression fitting.

Fuel Line 012.jpg

Here is a pic of the line going into the bottom of the truck.

Fuel Line 013.jpg

So pretty easy once I got all the parts and I think it is pretty sanitary too. So, Roger, laugh all you want, you know you want some bitchin' -AN fittings to flow some diesel through!!!!!:grinpimp:
Fuel Line 010.jpg
Fuel Line 012.jpg
Fuel Line 013.jpg

About then :princess: came down and said it was time to stop so next weekend will be the one. (the one where I know if it starts or it leaks or has a broken rod!!!!!

Well the answer to the question above.

Drum roll....

IT JUST RAN!!!

I got the new Flame Thrower coil and slapped that in and then with a bit of dizzy tweaking, it started. Just a bit more tweaking and it is purrring. A little vacuum backfire coming off high RPMs but that is no biggy. No oil or water spraying anywhere (yet) and it seems strong.

I am about to run to a local motorcycle shop where the owner's dad does some fab work to get my clutch rod issue sorted out. Not sure how long it will take to make me a new rod end but it will be worht what ever I have to pay since it means not removing the tranny again.

Awesome news Chris! Congrats!

Awesome news Chris! Congrats!
Thanks, Andy. Tomorrow I am going to button up the front end with some new hardware I picked up and mount the powder coated bezel. Also I am going to try to get the last of the lights sorted out and the tranny hump reinstalled.

I dropped off the shift rod to a Trae and Street Chrome here in Rome. His dad is a machinest and is going to make another rod end that is 2.5mm bigger then the original. That should do what I need and no longer push through the shift fork. 2 week turn around time though.

hey bro, congrats on the great success! i got your message yesterday, sorry i didn't get a chance to call back.

i've got another pertronix success story. i bought an electronic conversion kit for my boat ($95). it has a marine prestolite distributor with typical points & condensor which have always been a PITA. i installed this little ignitor plate and rotor button piece, ran some wires to it, slapped the dissy cap on and VVRROOMM, started right up. i was guessing i'd have to adjust the timing or something but NOTHING!!!

i'm ready to hit the trails, got the bronco home last weekend!!!

That has to be a great feeling after all the work that has gone into it. Congrats!:beer::beer::beer:

That has to be a great feeling after all the work that has gone into it. Congrats!:beer::beer::beer:
Thanks Steve. :princess: has school again Sturday so I know what I will be doing! I actually took a break from my truck and did some stuff on hers. I got the front and rear spring hangars off for the shackle reversal as well as the steering box mount for the mini set up when it comes time for that. I will bolt that stuff up this weekend and then tack the rear spring gussets in as well as try to fit the H55 tranny scab plates and get those tacked so it can all be welded and trailered to the blaster during Thanks giving week (depending on the hours my welder keeps)

On mine I am still fighting it out with the wiring but I won a '71 WW set up on Eaby with some outher sundries for about $90. Well worth it if the motor is intact. We will se when it gets here.

Anybody need an extra bezel:D I may have one for trade!

Here is an update. I put on my pseudo-sliders that I had Sean powdercoat. I usually do not like this stuff and it affords no real protection but the holes are there and they look clean with the coating:

11-24-2007 006.jpg

I also got my new clutch rod from my friend with the Harley Davidson shop (Street Chrome on Hwy 27) here in town. Who said free was not a good price? It is 2mm bigger then the stock one to prevent it from pushing through the worn out clutch arm:

11-24-2007 001.jpg

Here it is in action. I blead the system (SOOOO much easier then bleeding brakes) and got the truck to move back and forth under its own power! Very cool. I doo need to adjust the pedal free play.

11-24-2007 007.jpg

I am still trying to get my wiper motor issue fixed and my brake lights are not working. So I need to address that before I button up the dash. I also blew out a headlight and when I opened them up I discovered a lot of rust and all the fasteners were fxxxed so I need some of the special screws and plastic hardware for in there. I hope Cdan can fix me up on that stuff this week as well as the parts for the split case everybody hates!

Not sure I will bother bringing the case with me to work on next weekend as I do not have all the parts I need yet. I tried to get Cdan on Friday but I am sure he was off for the holiday.

Happy Turkey day everybody!
:cheers:
11-24-2007 006.jpg
11-24-2007 001.jpg
11-24-2007 007.jpg

The question is will it be ready for New Years day run?

The question is will it be ready for New Years day run?
It very well might be! It will be a cold run for sure but if I can sort out the wiper motor and tune the Weber and.....:rolleyes:

Head Light Tech!

Well, I had a head light burn out while I was cleaning up the electrical stuff and when I when to replace it, realized averything in the buckets was a rusty mess. So I took it all apart and blasted everything but the tubs becasue if I had forced the wires out of them I would have to buy new grommets.

I got Sena to powder coat the adjustable mounts and the mounting rings that go in the engine compartment and went out and found myself some square GM type plastic adjuster screw nuts and new adjuster screws for $4 at Auto Zone. I had to use my dremel to square the holes in the tub but it worked great!

12-01-2007 001.jpg

Here it is put back together with new stainles harware.

12-01-2007 002.jpg

And finally - Tah Dah!

12-01-2007 004.jpg

Since the truck is not yet really road worthy, I did not bother to put the bezel back on cuz I will need to adjust those headlights some and can't do it agains my work bench!

In other news...

I HAVE A FAWKING SHORT!!!

My brake lights were not working and I discovered I had a blown fuse. Replaced that and it blows every time I hit the brakes. The switch appears brand new. But do some ketchup - remember my damn hidden inline fuse for the 4 ways kept blowing? Well that stopped because the brake light fuse finally went. So I don't know if it is a short in the 40 year old wiring, the 40 year old emergency flasher switch, the not so old brake light switch, or the 40 year old flasher. I just can't seem to get it isolated.

I am wondering if I could replace the big NippoDenso flasher solenoid with a small cheap solid state one. Anyone know?

:cheers:
12-01-2007 001.jpg
12-01-2007 002.jpg
12-01-2007 004.jpg

no thanks :eek:

nice square cut out on the housing! did you touch it up with paint or leave it for the rust fairy?
Taken care of with Zero Rust.

I took Sunday off from working on the 40 to run a new outlet to get my radio in the garage off the hydraulic press and someplace it could get some stations. Is this code???
No Cruiser Today 001.jpg
No Cruiser Today 002.jpg

...And I replaced the horrible florecent light inside my blast cabinet with something a bit more useful. For $1 I got a yeard spotlight mount and screwed some magnets from an old hard drive to the back.
Here is the old light. Barely did anything for me.

No Cruiser Today 005.jpg
$4.99 more got me a 90w light bulb. And it sticks to the wall anyplace in the cabinet.

No Cruiser Today 003.jpg

Let there be light!

No Cruiser Today 004.jpg

I did hit the Cruiser a bit to determine that neither the brake light switch nor the Emergency flasher switch were the issue to my short. I will keep at it. Friday I am off again and CDan got back to me on the parts I need for the project split case.:bounce:
No Cruiser Today 005.jpg
No Cruiser Today 003.jpg
No Cruiser Today 004.jpg

The truck obviously did not make it to the STLCA work day and on Sunday I took the wife out for a run in the woods with our running club near Emerson, GA. Good times. (No Cruisers - felt I had spent enough time with them on Saturday) She got lost in the woods and eventually made the finish...3 hours after the start of a 6 mile off road adventure run (I finished in an hour and 15). I drove her home in silence :D

Another week of work in the salt mines and I will hopefully have time to tackle the short.

... on Sunday I took the wife out for a run in the woods with our running club near Emerson, GA.

Hugh,
Could you provide some info on this site for running? (post or PM is fine) My wife and oldest daughter are always running through the woods at the Kennesaw Mountain Battle Field park, so they would be interested in a new place to run because Emerson is a reasonable drive from the house.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom