Builds The Forbidden FJ60 (Story+Build Thread) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really doubt your PCV valve is causing problems with putting fuel into the tank. The tank vent hoses can be accessed by removing the interior trim panel to the right side rear quarter panel in the cargo area.

Another question: I’m desmogging my and trying to pull all the equipment I don’t need. I’m circling a few items I’m unsure about if people can weigh in.

Thanks
Dan

CB44BABA-52ED-4666-96BC-8F1582E99AAA.jpeg

FBB193A0-1A7B-4618-8CD1-323C8315E6C8.jpeg

Do you have the factory service manuals? The service manuals will answer most of these questions, you’ll learn a lot more, and your questions will be less vague.

Do you have the factory service manuals? The service manuals will answer most of these questions, you’ll learn a lot more, and your questions will be less vague.
I have two Haynes manuals and the engine manual

Don’t recall finding anything. Do you recommend one?

This is a list of a digital copy of nearly all the FSMs for all year model land cruisers. Check out the emissions manual. It will tell you how to test all your emissions equipment. Looking through that will tell you what you will be deleting for a desmog.

Talking a moment and browsing through the tune up and maintenance sections will tell you what’s going on with your electrical system and you will know what those components are and look like. It would have also answered your question about the PCV and fuel system and given you a ton of other helpful knowledge.

The first picture you posted is of your ignition coil. The truck is useless without it.

The second picture shows some of the emissions equipment. You can delete all of it, however, doing so improperly can give you all kinds of issues.
There is a step by step guide on removing the smog equipment.

Read through this. It will answer many of your questions. If you find yourself confused still you’ll have a better idea of what to ask about and our answers will make more sense to you.

This is a list of a digital copy of nearly all the FSMs for all year model land cruisers. Check out the emissions manual. It will tell you how to test all your emissions equipment. Looking through that will tell you what you will be deleting for a desmog.

Talking a moment and browsing through the tune up and maintenance sections will tell you what’s going on with your electrical system and you will know what those components are and look like. It would have also answered your question about the PCV and fuel system and given you a ton of other helpful knowledge.

The first picture you posted is of your ignition coil. The truck is useless without it.

The second picture shows some of the emissions equipment. You can delete all of it, however, doing so improperly can give you all kinds of issues.
There is a step by step guide on removing the smog equipment.

Read through this. It will answer many of your questions. If you find yourself confused still you’ll have a better idea of what to ask about and our answers will make more sense to you.
Anyone know where I can find some photos of a desmogged example from these guides?
For instance, the place of the HAC seems to change as it isn't deleted.

Additionally, I was hoping for a bit of a more in depth- picture full example of this guide
but am unsure if the ones they mention in this doc actually follow the same procedure and delete the same things.

Is there another guide with more photos that follows the same steps as the one in the link above? A mechanic buddy is helping me Wednesday and i want to be better prepared.

Thanks,
Beehanger

Anyone know where I can find this sort? Missing a few things final assembly!

Coolant resevoir(s)
Carburetor mount for linkages (see photo)

Is there a way to get these temporarily,?
I lost the carb part an there’s nothing for throttle to mount to. Anyone have a part number or a way I can jerry rig this for a week?

E2263EEB-6AAD-4B3A-8D25-1D5A55B5CCFC.jpeg

Anyone know where I can find this sort? Missing a few things final assembly!

Coolant resevoir(s)
Carburetor mount for linkages (see photo)

Is there a way to get these temporarily,?
I lost the carb part an there’s nothing for throttle to mount to. Anyone have a part number or a way I can jerry rig this for a week?

View attachment 3334039
This is a photo of a fellow cruiser owners truck (he came by today to show me his rig)

The opportunity to view other 60’s next to yours is priceless. Visual referencing is great for learning and discovering questions you have not thought of. As @cps432 mentioned, you need to get a FSM for your 60 (much better than the Haynes) and start reading. The best thing in doing a desmog is learning the placement and function of all the parts. Then you’ll be able to follow the desmog thread that was posted above. Things will just start to make sense.

The opportunity to view other 60’s next to yours is priceless. Visual referencing is great for learning and discovering questions you have not thought of. As @cps432 mentioned, you need to get a FSM for your 60 (much better than the Haynes) and start reading. The best thing in doing a desmog is learning the placement and function of all the parts. Then you’ll be able to follow the desmog thread that was posted above. Things will just start to make sense.
Okay, when people are saying get a FSM, I have the links here,
Are these note enough, is there a separate physical book or PDF I need to get?

@Beehanger , i'm not computer savy so i hunted down paper issues of Chassis+ Body, Electrical Schematics n Emissions manuals. but i do believe those you linked are the digital version of the paper. trust if i'm incorrect, someone more versed in this will steer us straight. i'm quite sure those 3 will guide you through your project

@Beehanger , i'm not computer savy so i hunted down paper issues of Chassis+ Body, Electrical Schematics n Emissions manuals. but i do believe those you linked are the digital version of the paper. trust if i'm incorrect, someone more versed in this will steer us straight. i'm quite sure those 3 will guide you through your project
Thank you!

if you're planning a desmog, the emissions manual is imperative. like @CenTXFJ60 said "will just to start to make sense"
not having started mine yet, i've got no advice other than tackle only one system at a time. just like a long journey, one step at a time, it'll get done

if you're planning a desmog, the emissions manual is imperative. like @CenTXFJ60 said "will just to start to make sense"
not having started mine yet, i've got no advice other than tackle only one system at a time. just like a long journey, one step at a time, it'll get done
Currently attempting to delay gratification... I would love nothing more than to be done after this long journey and my brain is thinking of all the things I'm going to do when it's finished. Last 10% is the hardest right now. Most everything is in, now a matter of making sure it'll run....

Still Fighting,
Beehanger

Currently attempting to delay gratification... I would love nothing more than to be done after this long journey and my brain is thinking of all the things I'm going to do when it's finished. Last 10% is the hardest right now. Most everything is in, now a matter of making sure it'll run....

Still Fighting,
Beehanger
good, never back down. it's only metal n plastic, it can't out think you.

Alright guys,
Really need to get this thing at least OPERABLE, Am I risking damaging the vehicle If I run on an improper desmog job, and will it run temporarily and for 10 minutes to have the engine broken in if I don't have all the vacuum lines hooked up correctly? I've done all the major stuff, installed all the JIM C stuff and will try to get it right to the best of my ability, but I'm sure it will take some further tinkering.

since I'm doing the Desmog concurrently with an engine break in, I just want to double check, as things are moving quickly, that I'll be able to run the engine for 10 minutes if it starts even if I have a vaccum leak or misrouted vacuum lines etc.

We'll be checking engine temp etc.

I just need to get the rig running for better or for worse at this point,

Beehanger

@Beehanger , having built a couple of engines, i'd not risk running it like you're thinking. i know, not what you wanted to hear. i'd think it would be easier to put the smog $h!t on, do your break in run, post break in oil n filter change, then tackle the desmog. remember, 1 task at a time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom