The best Headlight bulb on the market today. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can we use HIR 9011 for both the 9005 high and 9006 low, or do we need 9012 for low? And trim both the 9011 and 9012 the same way? Thx

Can we use HIR 9011 for both the 9005 high and 9006 low, or do we need 9012 for low? And trim both the 9011 and 9012 the same way? Thx

No big issues with the watt diff for 9011 swaps for stock 9006 low mod?

I’m going to try 9012 mods for low first, don’t want to go too crazy. Surely gonna be better than the 9006 bulbs at least.

Swapped my 9006 (HB4) Nightbreaker Lasers for simple (original line) Osram 9012's, and I have to say the 9006 Nightbreaker's were a lot brighter:( - and they weren't that bright to begin with compared to a HID or LED output. They've also lasted 1.5 years, so I'll be going back to those. so the 9006 NBL's. Price is about the same.

I have tried lot of different lights bulbs now, including nice LED's... I am back to the Phillips HIR bulbs. The 100's only weakness is poor lighting, Should have bought a Lexus! :bounce:

I have tried lot of different lights bulbs now, including nice LED's... I am back to the Phillips HIR bulbs. The 100's only weakness is poor lighting, Should have bought a Lexus! :bounce:
I installed brand new OEM headlights and mounted 65W HB3 bulbs into the low beams with a slight modification to the bulb. Teh outcome is clear white light on the road. The best white light I see ever! Brighter than my 21 Taco LED headlight.

The mods is to cut the two tabs inside the HB3 bulb and to get a new O-ring to fit snug to the headlamp housing.

Last edited:
Pictures?
Bulb: HB-3 9005 (I bought Hella $2.21 at Rockauto). This bulb is originally for high beam so the following modifications to go into the low beam

1st Picture: Cut the two long plastic tabs shown
2nd picture: remove the O-ring
3rd picture : The required O ring
4th picture: HF O ring kit O ring number A115 fits perfect

DSCN0423[1].JPG

DSCN0424[1].JPG

DSCN0426[1].JPG

DSCN0427[1].JPG

DSCN0423[1].JPG

DSCN0424[1].JPG

DSCN0426[1].JPG

DSCN0427[1].JPG

Bulb: HB-3 9005 (I bought Hella $2.21 at Rockauto). This bulb is originally for high beam so the following modifications to go into the low beam

Appreciate the details, thank you!

I have done the HIR1 in my low beams from Daniel Stern Lightings recommendations. I also replaced both headlight lens assemblies and the outcome is great for me. My old ones were the originals from 2000 and being glass yes they are tough however over 400K miles had them looking almost sand blasted. It was wild….

Back in my early “car” days all I could afford was to “play” in the Honda Civic Hatchback stuff and my EF Hatch 1990 DX alao had glass lens assemblies and we did a high beam bulb mod similar to what you list here to help get some more output without blinding oncoming traffic.

I have thought about trying a super high wattage HID bulb kit or LED in the high beam spot on the LC as it’s not used as much and being the lens is glass I am not concerned about any heat from the bulbs no matter what type they are.

I just dont want to spend the money on a bulb location that doesn’t get used to much.

I do know Stern Lighting can build you a wonderful large gauge harness that’s all plug and play into your old factory headlight plugs but uses the battery as it’s direct power source because the low beams are 100W and the high beam bulbs can be 150W I believe. Now the lifespan of the bulbs will be shortened but wow I sure would like to see the output though.

I would definitely make anyone a harness for 199$
Actually I'd like to see his 199 item.

I would definitely make anyone a harness for 199$
Actually I'd like to see his 199 item.
Me too,

From Tacoma World I have seen pictures of this one…pretty legit and adding to the fact they go as far to use independent fuses for each side. That’s a plus in my book.

Thanks for that link. I thought the custom one was 199 for toyo. I see it's 115. I've used his website for info in the past. It's very informative.

I don't like that set up at all though. I would suggest wire research, relay research, connector and terminal ratings, temp limits, and melt point.
There are better choices at the hundred dollar plus level.

ceautoelectricsupply makes a decent one for 9004/6 @159$ pretty inflated also, just like DS's

Thanks for that link. I thought the custom one was 199 for toyo. I see it's 115. I've used his website for info in the past. It's very informative.

I don't like that set up at all though. I would suggest wire research, relay research, connector and terminal ratings, temp limits, and melt point.

ceautoelectricsupply makes a decent one for 9004/6 @159$ pretty inflated also, just like DS's

I think the link I sent is an entirely different company than the Daniel Stern one, I’ve only ever purchased bulbs from Mr Stern.
But yeah his information is awesome and very legit.

I can’t stand all the LED replacements out there that blind you! Not to many people were into putting HIDs in their lenses in my area. Or at least I didn’t seem to notice it to much I guess.

Turns out you can get a 100W 9005 Hella bud set of off Amazon for less than 16 bucks. I may just try them for my highs since they won’t see consecutive use for no more than 5 seconds max.

Amazon product ASIN B078SGBFK4

View attachment 2854811

View attachment 2854812

View attachment 2854813

View attachment 2854814

View attachment 2854811

View attachment 2854812

View attachment 2854813

View attachment 2854814
Running a high beam bulb as a low beam - does the housing design prevent this from putting too much light out to the oncoming traffic?

Wow, CE looks awesome!

Link to DS as well:

I installed brand new OEM headlights and mounted 65W HB3 bulbs into the low beams with a slight modification to the bulb. Teh outcome is clear white light on the road. The best white light I see ever! Brighter than my 21 Taco LED headlight.

The mods is to cut the two tabs inside the HB3 bulb and to get a new O-ring to fit snug to the headlamp housing.
Give us a few pics. You have my attention.

Hi, for the record I looked at all 19 pages of this thread. Here’s my plan and question. When I reference position I’m staring into the light assmebly.

1.Im replacing the top center bulb with a Wagner 9011 from rock auto. Gonna do the bulb plastic mod and add the the rubber bushing from the 9005

2. The current 9006 lower bulb doesn’t work(yay electrical on rusty east coast cars) - not addressing it right now.

Here’s my unknowns (unless I’m wrong above too) and where I need in put

3. There’s a bulb just to the right of the top light that also (has one of those reflecting plastic disco ball looking covers that covers the bulbs) . That cover is clear yellowish and looks s***ty and old compared to the 9005 position center one.it comes on when I turn my lights on.
- what bulb is that? Will it make a difference to replace that reflective housing if I even can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom