Temporary Radiator Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have had an Amazon tyc special for over a year. Temp are great and it's held up fine.
yeah, TYC radiator in our 80 runs 10 degrees F cooler than the OEM radiator in my LX

guess what, should the LX need another radiator, it will get a TYC as well - as a matter of fact, I have one already sitting in the parts room :doh:

Last edited:
yeah, TYC radiator in our 80 runs 10 degrees F cooler than the OEM radiator in my LX

guess what, should the LX need another radiator, it will get a TYC as well - as a matter of fact, I have one already sitting in the parts room :doh:
Ha ha
Me to, one TYC under the hood and one brand new in the box just in case 😝 the one under the hood is 7 years old and still going strong!!
and I still saved $800 over the Ron Davis.
Don't get me wrong I really like the RD radiator and looked into getting one ( I have thrown tons of cash at my 80 ) but I didn't think the extra cash for a RD was going to get me 5 or 6 times as much cooling efficiency ;)

Last edited:
Only thing about the TYC is that it's made in Comm Chy nah, likely subsidized by their govt. Every dollar we spend buying stuff from the C - C - P makes them stronger.

Rant over.

Only thing about the TYC is that it's made in Comm Chy nah, likely subsidized by their govt. Every dollar we spend buying stuff from the C - C - P makes them stronger.

Rant over.
I strongly endorse this post.

I do understand however that sometimes we just don't have a choice, unfortunately.

and Ron Davis radiators are not made from Chinese-origin raw materials ?

by the same token, you are still buying at Walmart or Target or Home Depot or Lowes ? replaced your all Chinese parts refrigerator with a good old ice box yet ?

wait, where was the cell phone or laptop made you just posted from ?

and Ron Davis radiators are not made from Chinese-origin raw materials ?

by the same token, you are still buying at Walmart or Target or Home Depot or Lowes ? replaced your all Chinese parts refrigerator with a good old ice box yet ?

wait, where was the cell phone or laptop made you just posted from ?
Thanks didn’t want to say it.
You did it for me.

Almost impossible to get through life these day without buying Chinese something!!!

Last edited:
Thanks didn’t want to say it.
You did it for me.

All most impossible to get through life these day without buying Chinese something!!!
Yes “almost”….

Of course everything is made in Chy-nuh.

American companies (and every other company in the world) have farmed out production of just about everything to Chy-nuh which entices those businesses via low manufacturing costs. It's a trap but that doesn't mean we should just give up.

Write Walmart, Target, Harbor Frieght and ask for more products made anywhere other than Chy-nah and by any company other than a Chy-neeze company.

Since the pandemic however some production has moved to other nearby countries in Asia, but those companies may still be owned by a Chyn-eeze entity.

The bottomline that way too many Americans don't understand is that Chy-nuh has been in a Cold war of sorts with us for the last 50 years. Their stated goal is to become the dominant industrial and military force in (of) the world by any and every means possible; lie, cheat, steal, bribe, manipulate, ----. They teach all that to junior officers at their equivalent to West Point. Whatever it takes to win (control of the world).

But I digress:

The tech part of this relates to quality. A couple years ago a Forum member bought some valves from a well known name brand US company but after not too long the engine started to give him issues so he pulled the head back off.

He found that all the valves were damaged, too soft, and were wearing down rapidly in their seats. Turns out the US company had farmed out production of those valves to Chy-nah.

FWIW.

Last edited:
Yes “almost”….
No it is impossible.
Ya like half the stuff at you house.
Even that ATV jack you used to put in the transfer case 🤪

The tech part of this relates to quality. A couple years ago a Forum member bought some valves from a well known name brand US company but after not too long the engine started to give him issues so he pulled the head back off.

He found that all the valves were damaged, too soft, and were wearing down rapidly in their seats. Turns out the US company had farmed out production of those valves to Chy-nah.

FWIW.
But that just underscores the issue, doesn’t it? Even if you buy American, the products you’ll end up with might not be that.

Back to the issue at hand: a product such as the TYC radiator may be low $$ solution to a problem that IIRC the OP has had going on for several years. Then again, might all be moot, with the mistreated engine in that truck.

FWIW, I have an OEM that came off my '96 since I just completed an overhaul of the entire cooling system. Just cleaned the radiator, no clogs, still operates great. And I am in SD if you care to try it.

Just curios, have you done a leak down test on the cylinders yet? Or pulled the plugs to borescope them? That usually tells you a lot about the HG before diving that far into ripping the engine down for something that may not be the culprit. My biggest suggestion, like someone posted earlier in this conversation, is see how your Oil Cooler is fairing...@NLXTACY has a kit to replace the seals/valves/and springs for it.

It might be hard to go through life in America without supporting the Chinese.

But as consumers in America our biggest political influence is how we spend our money, not our votes.

If every American decreased their spending on Chinese products by only 10% for 5 years I guarantee the free market would respond.

But as long as we make justifications to ignore the issue like "it's impossible to avoid buying chinese" or "it's all Chinese". Than the market will continue to do as it pleases.

It wouldn't take a complete embargo on all Chinese goods by Americans to influence change. Even a 5% reduction would change the market.

My my this thread got derailed.

Sorry for taking it there. I made my non-tech comments small so as not to overwhelm the tech in the thread.;)

But that just underscores the issue, doesn’t it? Even if you buy American, the products you’ll end up with might not be that.

Back to the issue at hand: a product such as the TYC radiator may be low $$ solution to a problem that IIRC the OP has had going on for several years. Then again, might all be moot, with the mistreated engine in that truck.
Nah it was just a slow-leak radiator before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom