Builds Taro, the FJ60 build and adventure. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So it seems you're chronicling things that have happened in the past. What did you end up doing with the motor and how long until we're at present day? :D

You are jumping the gun.. ;) and I did what any of us would do... Fixed it! :wrench:
Edit: We will be at the present day soon!!

Edit 2019: We will not be at present day anytime close to this :doh:

Great thread Reaper. Love the backstory - that kind of connection to the truck really captures why we spend so much damn time and money keeping these classics alive. Wrenching photos are awesome, I've never done well with taking time to document the things I do to my truck - and your camping photos are top notch too, quite a talented photographer. Best of luck and keep pressing.

Thank you, a ton of people are all about it, AFTER I tell them the story.. But only TLC people know why I spend so much time and money fixing Taro up. I'm an addict. :D It's a love story to me.. I take care of my cruiser, and it will take care of me! Has never left me stranded anywhere! I have always been able to limp it home! And thank you for the comment on my photos.. Its a shame I didnt use my nice camera for the wrenching picture, But my hands are always covered in grease..

Last edited:
Pushing forward from the Head Gasket... I decided to go ahead and make this a bigger project than I needed to, Replace all of the seals and gaskets (clean and rebuild the top end.) And my carb wasn't running like I thought it should so I got a fresh new carb! And since I had everything apart.. I decided to go ahead and Desmog the 60 and get rid of all the crap. (Since we don't do emissions here in Durango, and I think I only have another year until I don't have to!)

Used a man-a-fre desmog kit and some caps for the air cleaner from Jim C.

Now I have to apologize for not having pictures of the Desmog... The cruiser was under the knife before my 21st birthday... But I already had a plane ticket to Vegas... So my dad and I just stayed focused and busted it out!! Vegas was awesome, but I am more of a wake-up in the forest type of person so I was happy to be reunited with the Cruiser when I was home from the weekend.

After the Desmog and head gasket rebuild. I hoped in the 60 and took it for a "Test Drive"... I went camping in Silverton!:steer::bounce:

IMG_7707.jpg
IMG_7725.jpg

At the time I work for the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, I used to do maintenance at night on the engines so it was cool to see the beast on the other side of the tracks!
IMG_7718.jpg

Went to Cascade Falls on the way back! Super pretty! (Edit: I'm on the left.)
IMG_7748.jpg

Played in some shallow water!! Just dipped my toes in...
IMG_7745.jpg

The trip was a blast, Taro ran the best it ever has. Needless to say the "Test Drive" was a success!:hillbilly:

Last edited:
Ordered some new ones from Cruiser Outfitters. Got here so fast!!! THANK YOU KURT!! (Best service I have ever experienced.)

Thank You! Those seal surfaces were rough looking, good call to replace!

Great thread. I love your build up. I am 15 and recently bought a fzj80 (because my parents wanted me to have airbags and all of that electronic crap) but I am in love with the 60. I live down in Colorado Springs and my dad and I always try to make a trip up every year to that area like Silverton, Durango, and Telluride in our Fj40. Anyway I don't know where I was going with that but I guess all I'm trying to say is I really like your 60 and very nice build up.

Great thread. I love your build up. I am 15 and recently bought a fzj80 (because my parents wanted me to have airbags and all of that electronic crap) but I am in love with the 60. I live down in Colorado Springs and my dad and I always try to make a trip up every year to that area like Silverton, Durango, and Telluride in our Fj40. Anyway I don't know where I was going with that but I guess all I'm trying to say is I really like your 60 and very nice build up.
Thank you for your kind words Andrew! FZJ80s are awesome! and airbags are pretty sweet! I hope never feel what its like to not have them...:oops: Let me know when you are coming down here again! We can meet! :)

Sorry in advance "Toyota Purist"
IMG_7841.jpg

One thing lead to another....

IMG_7844.jpg

I guess if they use rivets on sky scrapers, they are good enough for Toyota.. Right? :flipoff2:

These suckers did not want to come off... Also are flip flops recommended shop shoes? :lol: (Thank you for the help Mike!)
IMG_7846.jpg

F:censor:K these rivets....
IMG_7849.jpg

A drill and hammer should do it!
IMG_7848.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in love with my Trail Tailor Bumper :clap: Thanks @reevesci :cheers:
IMG_7878.jpg

I'm a pilot welder... Pile it on here... pile it on there.. :lol:
IMG_7879.jpg

The 60 face lift is looking really good!:)
IMG_7873.jpg

Coated the bumper with Monsta-Liner! Turned out pretty good! I will probably get it powder covered in the future!
IMG_7899.jpg

Took the bumper on a camping trip to see how it felt... Loved the view...
IMG_7973.jpg

My favorite TT creation thus far looks great on your rig.

Nice thread Tucker. Prolly going to be in CO in two weeks. We'll have to meet up and compare 60's.

Other than Denver and Boulder counties which have smog testing are there any other counties on the western slope that I have to worry about for smog?

Nice thread Tucker. Prolly going to be in CO in two weeks. We'll have to meet up and compare 60's.

Other than Denver and Boulder counties which have smog testing are there any other counties on the western slope that I have to worry about for smog?

Thanks J for the link! I don't have smog around here.. (Durango, Pagosa Area) But I hope that list clears it up for you! Lets meet up!!! Let me know when you are getting closer to this area and we will set up a time and place!

I'm not to sure what you mean, but it's mine?
All the bikes look too new and clean so was wondering if they were all yours or were part of a shop you frequented or worked at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom