Builds Taro, the FJ60 build and adventure. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 60 getting some wheels and tires!!

17inch Level 8 Trackers (So I can run Tundra brakes in the future.)

295-70R-17 Goodyear Wrangler Dura-Tracs
IMG_7132.jpg
IMG_7135.jpg
IMG_7303.jpg
IMG_7140.jpg
IMG_7306.jpg

Last edited:
Ended up running 2" Spacers so the tie rod ends do not rub the inside of the wheel. Now before we go into the pros and cons of Spacers, know that I did not cheap out on them, and I love them. :flipoff2:

IMG_7305.jpg
IMG_7324.jpg
IMG_7323.jpg
IMG_7322.jpg
IMG_7325.jpg

had my fuel pump go out, the "employees" said I could run the new one without a spacer, when I asked where it was..

Ended up breaking the arm off.. :doh:
IMG_7414.jpg
IMG_7410.jpg

So I went back and told them I had to fish it out of my oil pan with a magnet.. They gave me a free replacement since they told me it would work.. and I went and bought a spacer from another auto store..
IMG_7426.jpg

All good to go in minutes!! Should of just went with my gut feeling and told them it needed a spacer... Back on the road..:steer:

I came back from that trip and I was almost back home.. And my truck starts running like S:censor:T... No power once so ever.. sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders.

Did a compression test... NOT GOOD
IMG_7636.jpg
IMG_7637.jpg

Some more signs.....

I thought I had a dead cylinder... But I blew my Head Gasket,,:bang:
IMG_7655.jpg

Looks like a good time, I'd be P/Oed about the spacer on the fuel pump. Rims and tires look great. Oh damn!

Looks like a good time, I'd be P/Oed about the spacer on the fuel pump. Rims and tires look great. Oh damn!
Thank you, the thing that pissed me off about the spacer on the fuel pump is that it wasted my time... Plus I had to get a ride to the part store twice... [emoji35]

Great wrenching and pics. You're thread is shaping up nicely. Where did you source the rims, what offset, and what was the cost? Do you think you would need the spacers if you ran 285s instead of 295s? Bummer about the head gasket.

Thank you, the thing that pissed me off about the spacer on the fuel pump is that it wasted my time... Plus I had to get a ride to the part store twice... [emoji35]

Seems like more and more these days you can't trust hardly anyone. They'll look you dead in the eye tell you lie.

Great wrenching and pics. You're thread is shaping up nicely. Where did you source the rims, what offset, and what was the cost? Do you think you would need the spacers if you ran 285s instead of 295s? Bummer about the head gasket.
Thank you! The wheels were from discount tire.. They were for an fj cruiser.. Same bolt pattern I forget the offset... Maybe -6? But it had nothing to do with the tires and everything to do with the wheels... Will rub no matter what without spacers.. I have heard of someone else running them without spacers.. Not sure how since they only offer a couple choices for the offset..

Seems like more and more these days you can't trust hardly anyone. They'll look you dead in the eye tell you lie.
This is becoming a more common thing for me...
uploadfromtaptalk1454048427152.jpg

Was hoping Taro had something to do with alt-J, how fitting. Love it so far
EDIT: Now I can't get the dang song out of my mind:doh:

Was hoping Taro had something to do with alt-J, how fitting. Love it so far
EDIT: Now I can't get the dang song out of my mind:doh:
Hahaha you are welcome!

Great thread Reaper. Love the backstory - that kind of connection to the truck really captures why we spend so much damn time and money keeping these classics alive. Wrenching photos are awesome, I've never done well with taking time to document the things I do to my truck - and your camping photos are top notch too, quite a talented photographer. Best of luck and keep pressing.

Since you asked, Taro was a common Japenese name giving to the first born son, the word literally means, "Eldest Son" (please correct me if I'm wrong.)
I have been wanting to name the 60 for the last couple months but nothing was really coming to mind that really fit. Recently I was listening to a song called, Taro by Alt-J.. and it was a song that my aunt and I often refer to as, "That song that we played while we were driving down a beautiful dirt road in Pagosa Springs, CO on a beautiful summer day!" Anyways the song fits driving the cruiser in beautiful country.. So i looked up the meaning of the name. And quickly made some similarities since the 60 was from Japan, and I am the oldest son in my family and this is my first Land Cruiser its fitting. Plus it has a nice ring to it!! :hmm:

Love the song! Nice 60 and nice story.

So it seems you're chronicling things that have happened in the past. What did you end up doing with the motor and how long until we're at present day? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom