Sweet 1997 HZJ75 Pickup from France (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

She's a heartbreaker. Don't change a thing. As much time as I've spent holding up photos of 70's with one hand, I never noticed that single red rectangular light on the rear bumper area. What's that?

Cant say iv seen a factory pto winch on a 75 series before, is the drive unit still on the transfer case? dosnt look like its ever had a winch head on the stock front bumper.

She's a heartbreaker. Don't change a thing. As much time as I've spent holding up photos of 70's with one hand, I never noticed that single red rectangular light on the rear bumper area. What's that?
Pretty sure that's a parking light. Generally required on the left rear of cars in Europe. My GCC spec FZJ75 doesn't have one.

Pretty sure that's a parking light. Generally required on the left rear of cars in Europe. My GCC spec FZJ75 doesn't have one.
It's a rear fog light, mandatory in Europe for a long time.

The pure parking lights made to be let on all night when parked on the side of the road (and that may have a mode to light only one side on European cars) is a very very old thing that was long phased out when the 70 was released.
Still have position lights integrated in the stop lights in the rear and under the indicators in the front but like all markets.

...that single red rectangular light on the rear bumper area. What's that?
Rear fog lamp. Makes it more visible to traffic following you in bad weather. Apparently mandatory in Europe since every Euro-spec 'Cruiser I've seen has that feature. Controlled via this switch on the dash:
rear fog switch.jpg

Which is not to be confused with the front fog lamp switch, that looks like this (my truck doesn't have this one):
front fog switch.jpg

Cant say iv seen a factory pto winch on a 75 series before, is the drive unit still on the transfer case? doesn't look like its ever had a winch head on the stock front bumper.
I've seen a few with PTO winches, but this one (and most I've seen) only has the PTO on the transfer case, but nothing attached to it:
pto.jpg

Same on our Hzj-75 from the EU. I think it might has to do with taxation / which category a pickup truck fell into, this way they might could be sold as farming machinery?

My 1988 G-Wagen had the rear fog light and the selectable parking lights; my 1975 300D only has the parking lights. The fog light is likely something for bigger/commercial vehicles.

Reactions: flx
Same on our Hzj-75 from the EU. I think it might has to do with taxation / which category a pickup truck fell into, this way they might could be sold as farming machinery?
that might make sense actually as I know on the LX BJ42 that was sold over in Europe they were a 5 seater, but they use to remove the back seats so was classed as a 2 seater.

that might make sense actually as I know on the LX BJ42 that was sold over in Europe they were a 5 seater, but they use to remove the back seats so was classed as a 2 seater.
Depends of countries, some had them in 5 seaters, at least Italy AFAIK.
In France they were selling 40 series (but no LX) registered as 2/3 seaters commercial vehicle but would give/sell the rear benches 6 months later to install and through a tolerance/loophole of the time you could legally use them even if not homologated 😅

But anyway the rear fog light is mandatory for all cars in Europe since somewhere in the 80's.

The classification between passenger vehicle or commercial vehicle has tax impacts (that still are different in every single countries and over time....), but is independent of weight. They are are all considered light vehicles (GVWR <3.5T) and have to follow the same regulation for homologation. There are some small hatchbacks that have a commercial version with only 2 seats for companies.

Farming machinery would be limited to 30kph on road and only local trips so not very desirable for a Cruiser x)

But anyway the rear fog light is mandatory for all cars in Europe since somewhere in the 80's.
Rear foglight became mandatory in Germany in 1991. Most likely because of an EU regulation, so probably same in France.
But they have been popular in Europe before. Many manufacturers had them standard in their European models. Even my 1985 BJ73 already had one. Cheers Ralf

Small update on the truck (very small). I was caught in some rain the other day and it was obvious I needed new wiper blades. So I did that. Everything else is working fine. This thing continues to put a big ol' grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

Took it down a dirt road (not exactly rock crawling, I know).
video still 4WD.JPG

And here's an old photo of it my wife took one morning (I just like the photo):
drive it 4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom