Swap to rock warrior wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a set of rock warrior wheels with tires. I will need to move TPMS sensors from OEM wheels to the RWs.

Question,
1) would any random wheel/tire shop able to handle RW installation (including swap in the TPMS sensors)? I ordered McGard lug nuts and tool set. I know there is a PDF with instructions, but I don't think they will bother to read them and I obviously don't have the tool and skill to mount tires etc.
2) Should the RW wheels balanced without the ring, and if yes, shall I remove the ring ahead of time (so as to reduce work for the shop)?

The ring does not need to be removed for installation or balancing. If a shop tells you it does, go somewhere else. A Costco tire dept tried to remove one of the trim rings on my RWs and stripped out several of the screws. I ended up at the Toyota dealer where they basically destroyed the trim ring to get it off. Costco ended up picking up a $500 bill for labor, a new trim ring and the $24 set of screws to reinstall it.

And do make sure the shop understands how to use the spline attachment for the lug nuts.

IIRC the info sheet for rock warriors does state that the ring needs to be off for balancing, but you'll have trouble finding shops to go through all this extra work. And many of us have them balance just fine with the rings on. Partly because the bolts are known to seize and messing with them at all is often best avoided.

I balanced mine with the Ring on.. the Random local tire shop said they would not fit on the truck, so I just took them home and put them on.. They fit fine of course.
for TPMS I just bought new ones but you can swap yours just fine.

Only thing with RW's is if you air down you need a long nose deflater the std ARB one will not work.

Mine balance out fine with the rings on them

Thank you all. Sounds fair to just treat the ring as part of the rim :)

Any specific long nose deflator product would you recommend?

This is an ARB clone deflator I bought that someone on here recommended.

I've been running RWs on my 100 (and now also on the 200) for years. Discount Tire has never had to remove rings to either mount or balance tires. Do check the ring Torx bolts for tightness, I've had a couple fall out. If you do find some loose ones, clean them up & use blue Loctite to coat all the threads. It will keep them in place and inhibit the galvanic corrosion that causes them to seize.

Also if the tire shop tells you they don't fit just take them home and put them on...
Its dumb, but happened to me...

Balance Intact and reuse the TPMS from your 18's is fine.

Long Nose - Beadlock Deflator.... ARB also makes one if you want to spend 2x for a non-digital one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom