STLCA 60 Series Club Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you blew a birf curb hopping at the Chinese restuarant?

Went to Big Fork last weekend to play around for a couple hours. Gave the 60 a little bump to get over a ledge and I heard a funny pop sound. Had a buddy get out and watch my front end and the wheel wasn't turning. Honestly I think it may have been cracked for a while. What I did was nothing compared to the abuse I've put this thing through over the years. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. Anybody have a used one for sale?

So I assume the "TG" one is trail gear? Anybody have $0.02 on which one of these is better? Or is there a difference?
2-18-2017 8-06-57 AM.jpg

For just a standard replacement, just go with the cheap one. No need spending big dollars on a stock type replacement. If you're ready to go all in 30 spline, I agree with Roger, go RCV. If you want to go chromo 27 spline, I'd probably just go with the TG.

IMG_5469.JPG
IMG_5470.JPG
Got the inner axle tacked up so I don't have to F w that stupid clip anymore. While I was going back in w the axle I noticed the seal is screwed up. This was a Marlin I put in a few years ago. I guess the broken birf pieces messed it up. Gotta order a new seal but I guess it makes sense to order 2.

Go OEM on the seals. I ran the marlin ones in the 80, they started leaking almost immediately. I will do OE from now on.

ive had far better luck w/ the Marlin seals.

Interesting. Maybe it is just the 80 version.

Could be. maybe yours dry rotted from sitting in the yard too long! :flipoff2:

i was told the marlins were the $hit...and I've had them in my truck since the engine was swapped and we rebuilt the front axle...no issues. At that time I compared the marlin's to the toyota and my non expert view was the marlin was the better design.

Go OEM on the seals. I ran the marlin ones in the 80, they started leaking almost immediately. I will do OE from now on.

interesting. I went back and looked and I put Marlins in my 60 back in 2011 when I went SOA. Never had any leaking issues after that. This one is ripped or slightly smashed so I'm guessing it happened when the birf went poo.

Well, I've clearly stepped into a puddle. :poof: So I will retract my statement as it applies to the 60/62, but on the 80 series I believe the consensus is that OE seems to hold up better then the Marlin seals. I believe it has to do with the AWD vs PT. 60/40/mini/etc which are part-time seem to do fine with the marlin seals, but the 80 doesn't seem to care for them.

Good to
Well, I've clearly stepped into a puddle. :poof: So I will retract my statement as it applies to the 60/62, but on the 80 series I believe the consensus is that OE seems to hold up better then the Marlin seals. I believe it has to do with the AWD vs PT. 60/40/mini/etc which are part-time seem to do fine with the marlin seals, but the 80 doesn't seem to care for them.
Good to know Matthew. I need to rebuild the knuckles on my 80 in the next couple months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom