Steering Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Threads
Hi Guys and gals
I don't post here much, spend most of My time in the 80 forum.
I do DD a 2006 Tundra access Cab, it's a great truck and I really like it. It's been virtually trouble free during my ownership.
It's a super clean low mile 125k truck.
But it has leaky steering rack. it started on the driver side but now it has small leak on both sides.

I like to do my own work, so I started looking up a replacement Rack. I would prefer OEM
But it looks like it just the rack if you go OEM, the aftermarket one look more complete with new boots, bushing, rod ends etcetera.
So whats the best way to go, can just the seals in the end of the rack be replaced ?
Is there a Quality after market replacement ?
or do I get OEM and all the extras to go with it ?

Thanks in advance

And because we all like pictures
1691787162888.png

Go with OEM rack, if you want to skimp to save, get some aftermarket boots and outer rod ends, the Napa or 555 seem to be the consensus like with the 80

Go with OEM rack, if you want to skimp to save, get some aftermarket boots and outer rod ends, the Napa or 555 seem to be the consensus like with the 80

Thanks

I couldn’t get OEM when I had to do our Sequoia. The first one I put in had an internal issue and couldn’t be aligned. Second one is fine. I guess if you like doing things twice, go aftermarket? 🤣

I couldn’t get OEM when I had to do our Sequoia. The first one I put in had an internal issue and couldn’t be aligned. Second one is fine. I guess if you like doing things twice, go aftermarket? 🤣
Funny Guy :rofl:

Laughing at myself as much as anything:flush:

?
I thought poly bushings was a 1980s thing
ya. imo its not really a thing if your junk isn't leaking on it.
i just did a job recently where another shop told a customer with a brand new Toyota rack had bad bushings in 500 miles. they weren't, but customer insisted they get changed.
more cya than anything

ya. imo its not really a thing if your junk isn't leaking on it.
i just did a job recently where another shop told a customer with a brand new Toyota rack had bad bushings in 500 miles. they weren't, but customer insisted they get changed.
more cya than anything
The only thing that leaks is the rack 🤷‍♂️ and why I'm replacing it. the rest of the truck is incredibly clean.
1692025899213.png

Ordering the part was the easy part. Now it's time to tackle this bad boy ;)
1693149351198.png

You started yet?
Yep, gotter done Sunday. took about 5 hours. :beer:
Also put in new tie rod ends while I had it apart. New rack did not come with the new rubber O-rings, was able to reuse the old ones. One of the tie rod ends was stubborn and would not come off so I had to go by a puller.
No more leaks on the drive way :cool:
1693510808617.png

Got a alignment Monday, drives really nice !!

I will be doing the Timing belt next, parts came in today
1693530691438.png

Got them on a 20% off and free shipping :cool: all OEM

Not going to tackle this job tell I get a FSM in hand, found a good deal on a full set on E-Bay Shipping is a bit slow. estimated delivery is Sept 18th
Not going to lie I'm a little nervous about this job :rolleyes: But I think I can pull it off.

Yep, gotter done Sunday. took about 5 hours. :beer:
Also put in new tie rod ends while I had it apart. New rack did not come with the new rubber O-rings, was able to reuse the old ones. One of the tie rod ends was stubborn and would not come off so I had to go by a puller.
No more leaks on the drive way :cool:
View attachment 3416241
Ordering, which rings was it missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom