Steering Box rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just had a OME lift put into my RHD BJ70, now it's time to correct the alignment and any steering issues. The steering box is adjusted as far clockwise as I feel safe and there is still a lot of play in the steering wheel. The steering linkage underneath appears stiff and the steering box has no leaks.

Would this mean the worm gear in the steering box is worn and requires replacement? Is there a steering box rebuild kit for the JDM BJ70 that has the components necessary to tighten this thing up? Perhaps a used steering box in good condition from another model that would fit? Reputable repair facility?

Looking for some advice as to options. thanks.

BTW: the ride is quite an improvement over stock ...cheap springs for sale :)

Not many options available state side for having it rebuilt but it's a different story in Australia. I would contact Beno and see if there available new stateside but I doubt it so maybe try Australia or Amayama and see if they will post from Japan.

Last edited:
Easy to rebuild but to do it properly you need to replace the sector shaft. Some rebuilders spray them with a metal spray but its not as tough as the real metal.
If Beno can get you the shaft at a good price, that's what I would do.

The big nut on the pitman arm is reputed to be the toughest on a landcruiser to undo.

Looks like I need to check if there's anything bent first and then remove the box and inspect. I'll look into the contacts mentioned but I'm in Canada and shipping costs may factor in. I've heard the pitman arm removal is tough, better start lubricating it now.

There are kits available on ebay that contain all the gaskets and seals. Have you checked the universal joint on the steering column+ steering box? They can also get worn.

No, I haven't checked the universal on the steering column but I will tonight. Will also check online for the gasket & seal kits ...thanks.

I would definitely check those joints on the steering column. I had one break on me. Luckily I was making a right hand turn from a stop light and the truck just kept turning right onto the sidewalk! Would have been catastrophic if I had been going full speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom