Builds Steel City Racing: King of the Hammers 2019 Toyota 4Runner IFS 4600 Build Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One more BIG Announcement. And before I disclose, Special Thanks to BigMike at Marlin Crawler for making this one happen for us. Without his support and sponsorship, this simply would not be possible.

I've been holding this one back for a while now...so here goes.

It's both exciting and terrifying to say that our Steel City Racing 4th Gen V8 IFS 4Runner will not only be racing 4600 EMC on Wednesday, but will also be racing in the 4400 Ultra4 Unlimited Class Main Event on Friday!

How?

For 4600 EMC Class, I'll be Driving and a close friend of mine who is a local Fire Fighter in AL will be Co-Driving.

But on Friday, I'll be Co-Driving for Hobie Smith, an OG13, who will be Driving this car on Friday in the 4400 Unlimited Class.

Our goal for 4600 EMC is to Win our class. Our goal for 4400 Unlimited Main Event is to Finish the race. If we can finish both, that would be an amazing win for both our team and our sponsors!

Fortunately this year EMC got pushed back to Wed, so we have all day Thurs to make sure the car is prepped and ready for Friday's Main Event.

I had mentioned a while back that we'd have help testing and preparing for the race. Well, Hobie has graciously agreed to help teach us everything he has learned over the many years he has raced KOH and will also be helping us with testing over the coming months. He's already given us a ton of tips on the overall build, driving style to make sure we survive EMC, pit operations, winching techniques, navigation, etc.

Our sponsors and I are proud to announce Hobie Smith as part of the Steel City Racing team for KOH 2019!

Last edited:
One more BIG Announcement. And before I disclose, Special Thanks to BigMike at Marlin Crawler for making this one happen for us. Without his support and sponsorship, this simply would not be possible.

I've been holding this one back for a while now...so here goes.

It's both exciting and terrifying to say that our Steel City Racing 4th Gen V8 IFS 4Runner will not only be racing 4600 EMC on Wednesday, but will also be racing in the 4400 Ultra4 Unlimited Class Main Event on Friday!

How?

For 4600 EMC Class, I'll be Driving and a close friend of mine who is a local Fire Fighter in AL will be Co-Driving.

But on Friday, I'll be Co-Driving for Hobie Smith, an OG13, who will be Driving this car on Friday in the 4400 Unlimited Class.

Our goal for 4600 EMC is to Win our class. Our goal for 4400 Unlimited Main Event is to Finish the race. If we can finish both, that would be an amazing win for both our team and our sponsors!

Fortunately this year EMC got pushed back to Wed, so we have all day Thurs to make sure the car is prepped and ready for Friday's Main Event.

I had mentioned a while back that we'd have help testing and preparing for the race. Well, Hobie has graciously agreed to help teach us everything he has learned over the many years he has raced KOH and will also be helping us with testing over the coming months. He's already given us a ton of tips on the overall build, driving style to make sure we survive EMC, pit operations, winching techniques, navigation, etc.

Our sponsors and I are proud to announce Hobie Smith as part of the Steel City Racing team for KOH 2019!
You're a driven dude, way to make something from nothin!

4400?

Ok ...:rofl:

4400?

Ok ...:rofl:

My first time at KOH was in 2008. 2 friends and I volunteered to run a check point. The night before the race Randy Slawson blew his motor and was looking for help to swap it out. We volunteered for that as well. We went to LA with him a a few guys. That night I witnessed true passion and hard work in something outside of my profession as a firefighter.
We thrashed on that thing all night, had Randy and Matt Lowe lined up on time to start and we were on time to staff our checkpoint. That day we witnessed glory when Shannon Campbell passed everyone in the race besides Hobie Smith. Hobie had rig issued and showed up late and was the only car to start behind Shannon.
Shannon came through out checkpoint as a man on a mission. We also witnessed glory in other forms. Guys working together to accomplish a common goal with with an task bigger than anyone in front of them.
2009 was my first KOH. Long before classes. I had a before it's time FJ40 that was full body full frame car on links, coilovers, 5.7 V8, built to be the ultimate trail rig. You may have seen it since @orangefj45 owns it now.
I had an opportunity to drive a car by a big sponsor in 2009 givven that I could get us into the race in 09. Which might refresh your memory that in 09 the race spots were given on merit. I worked my ass off to get us in that race. Starting with Dave Cole then to a vote on the old u4 web page only to place 2nd. But I knew I had to make it happen. In the end we used the pockets of my sponsor to get us and their car into KOH 2009.
As the race grew closer the sponsor grew further. When shock tuning came, the sponsored car was nowhere to be found.
But I had a spot to race! I had to make it happen.
In December of 2008 I threw my last long bomb and decided to race my trail rig.
I remember being pretty nervous but confident considering I knew almost all the race teams and most cars were very early U4 cars. Starting order was random start and we drew late in the field. The night before the race I didn't sleep a single second. As morning lineup came we were in Starting position in a u shape form with our passenger side facing the start line jump. Eventually it was time and the first 2 cars off the line were Tom Wayes and Jeff Mello. The took off an lonched off the jump. I remember thinking to myself what the **** did I get myself in to?
We finally were lined up with Eric Anderson and took off into the desert.
We saw a lot of broken cars in the first 3 or 4 hours and that is who we passed, that all we passed. Eventually we got to a real tough uphill sand and rock desert section. There were 2 lines and there was cars jammed in every line. We picked the hardest of thec2 cause there was less traffic. I got on the 5.7 and picked a lucky line and passed about 25 cars there in the traffic jam. @wngrog was at the top taking pictures and screaming for us.
We slugged it out all day. We help other teams along the way, we also went as fast as we could getting over 100mph on Emmerson Lake bed.
There were a ton of other amazing details that happened that day. But as dusk set in we knew we were going to finish on time. I have video of a great conversation of my coding and I discussing this. At some point we came into the final checkpoint just at dark. We were waiting for the final word we finished out of time but they said we were on time ! We only had had the final mile to the start finish line to go. As we rolled in the entire field of finishers and a pile of spectators were there partying and cheering us on. We rolled in and everyone was going crazy. The final on time finisher?
We have what seamed to be a forever interview when Chad Hummer rolled in behind us as the last official finisher.
Point being is chasing a dream working your ****ing ass off to do it and having life experiences with all your buddies is so worth it. We took second to last place. Well of the finishers... 100 rigs left the start line and we finished 34th, to be the first full frame full bodied rig to finish.
If I had the opportunity to race with a legend like an OG 13 guy like Hobie 10 years later I would do it in a heart beat.
If these guys make the 4400 class race on Friday and mind you IF! They will have a day like we did. A life with stories and adventure with the people you love.
****ing go for it Charles!

The above mentioned moment was a great memory

Indeed KOH BC (before classes)

0B31DC3A-E8CC-44D7-8EFC-5182186D7A91.jpeg

My first time at KOH was in 2008. 2 friends and I volunteered to run a check point. The night before the race Randy Slawson blew his motor and was looking for help to swap it out. We volunteered for that as well. We went to LA with him a a few guys. That night I witnessed true passion and hard work in something outside of my profession as a firefighter.
We thrashed on that thing all night, had Randy and Matt Lowe lined up on time to start and we were on time to staff our checkpoint. That day we witnessed glory when Shannon Campbell passed everyone in the race besides Hobie Smith. Hobie had rig issued and showed up late and was the only car to start behind Shannon.
Shannon came through out checkpoint as a man on a mission. We also witnessed glory in other forms. Guys working together to accomplish a common goal with with an task bigger than anyone in front of them.
2009 was my first KOH. Long before classes. I had a before it's time FJ40 that was full body full frame car on links, coilovers, 5.7 V8, built to be the ultimate trail rig. You may have seen it since @orangefj45 owns it now.
I had an opportunity to drive a car by a big sponsor in 2009 givven that I could get us into the race in 09. Which might refresh your memory that in 09 the race spots were given on merit. I worked my ass off to get us in that race. Starting with Dave Cole then to a vote on the old u4 web page only to place 2nd. But I knew I had to make it happen. In the end we used the pockets of my sponsor to get us and their car into KOH 2009.
As the race grew closer the sponsor grew further. When shock tuning came, the sponsored car was nowhere to be found.
But I had a spot to race! I had to make it happen.
In December of 2008 I threw my last long bomb and decided to race my trail rig.
I remember being pretty nervous but confident considering I knew almost all the race teams and most cars were very early U4 cars. Starting order was random start and we drew late in the field. The night before the race I didn't sleep a single second. As morning lineup came we were in Starting position in a u shape form with our passenger side facing the start line jump. Eventually it was time and the first 2 cars off the line were Tom Wayes and Jeff Mello. The took off an lonched off the jump. I remember thinking to myself what the f*** did I get myself in to?
We finally were lined up with Eric Anderson and took off into the desert.
We saw a lot of broken cars in the first 3 or 4 hours and that is who we passed, that all we passed. Eventually we got to a real tough uphill sand and rock desert section. There were 2 lines and there was cars jammed in every line. We picked the hardest of thec2 cause there was less traffic. I got on the 5.7 and picked a lucky line and passed about 25 cars there in the traffic jam. @wngrog was at the top taking pictures and screaming for us.
We slugged it out all day. We help other teams along the way, we also went as fast as we could getting over 100mph on Emmerson Lake bed.
There were a ton of other amazing details that happened that day. But as dusk set in we knew we were going to finish on time. I have video of a great conversation of my coding and I discussing this. At some point we came into the final checkpoint just at dark. We were waiting for the final word we finished out of time but they said we were on time ! We only had had the final mile to the start finish line to go. As we rolled in the entire field of finishers and a pile of spectators were there partying and cheering us on. We rolled in and everyone was going crazy. The final on time finisher?
We have what seamed to be a forever interview when Chad Hummer rolled in behind us as the last official finisher.
Point being is chasing a dream working your f***ing ass off to do it and having life experiences with all your buddies is so worth it. We took second to last place. Well of the finishers... 100 rigs left the start line and we finished 34th, to be the first full frame full bodied rig to finish.
If I had the opportunity to race with a legend like an OG 13 guy like Hobie 10 years later I would do it in a heart beat.
If these guys make the 4400 class race on Friday and mind you IF! They will have a day like we did. A life with stories and adventure with the people you love.
f***ing go for it Charles!

Love it! Thank you Justin!

This is exactly why we ARE going for it. Your build thread, your stories, your passion, and your experiences over the years have been a huge inspiration. And I'll also say, just getting to the lakebed has, and will continue to be an amazing experience and adventure.

Life is a collection of experiences and adventures and we can't wait to add this one!

4x4Labs is mostly done with our Armor for KOH. The car goes to Marlin Crawler starting tomorrow. The pics below aren't quite Final Product, but they're the latest ones I have and are getting close. 4x4Labs creativity, fab skills, welding, in-house powder coating, and overall attention to detail is Top Notch!

Everything you see below is made from AR400. Can't wait to see them in final form with our F/R Warn winches installed!

Front Bumper:
43653349_446601952530417_1161928721041457152_n.jpg

43549919_446601985863747_8560645706770022400_n.jpg

Rear Bumper - will eventually have Dual Swing-Outs, but of course won't be installed for KOH:
43636836_446599842530628_1309392132477288448_n.jpg

43626273_446599765863969_6491231571935232000_n.jpg

44738554_446599802530632_6670762184160575488_n.jpg

2 of 3 Skid Plates:
43594428_446599899197289_1749280642824142848_n.jpg

Sliders:
44719411_446304989226780_9058308837282414592_n.jpg

44695978_446305019226777_8185935021652049920_n.jpg

44719541_446304962560116_3310878584976965632_n.jpg

Luke said they had the welder "Dialed In" for our AR400:
44797797_446602085863737_4149764261427544064_n.jpg

They're wrapping up all the final details today before the trip tomorrow.

AR400 seems like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overkill, but sweet!
Probably :). 4x4Labs wants to make splash with this build while debuting their new line of 4Runner / GX armor! Using AR400 is one of the ways they're definitely doing it.

You don't want to know how much each sheet costs!

On Friday morning the 4Runner left 4x4Labs Shop for good. Luke and the 4x4Labs team were extremely kind to drive the car to Marlin Crawler for me while on their way to LA for the weekend. Thank you again to Luke, HD, and the entire 4x4Labs team for all their hard work over the past month!
44886021_447075169149762_5749547714132049920_n.jpg

It arrived safe and sound at Marlin Crawler ready for the next Phase of work!
44931458_447154479141831_1198528950574252032_n.jpg

44805188_447154512475161_4764904771939205120_n.jpg

We'll get some better pics of the armor in final form in the coming weeks.
I'm really excited about this next Phase! Stay tuned...

They will have a day like we did. A life with stories and adventure with the people you love.

I’m sure it will be a blast. No doubt about that.
I just don’t get any of the design decisions. I’m just bench racing here though.

I’m sure it will be a blast. No doubt about that.
I just don’t get any of the design decisions. I’m just bench racing here though.

My advice for Friday 4400 class day is stay out of the way and just get as far as they can. It could get ugly if a full bodied rig got in a bottleneck in the rocks and became traction.

Any new updates yet?

Any new updates yet?
An update and MORE PICS are coming soon.

Also, I'm sure you all are, but please be praying for everyone in CA with all the crazy wildfires. And if you're in CA, know that the rest of us throughout the country are praying for you! The pictures and stories coming out of the affected areas are scary, inspiring, and heroic to say the least.

BigMike told me yesterday that Jesse at High Angle Driveline, who was making our driveshafts for this build, was heavily affected by the fires both personally and professionally (his shop was literally destroyed). Jesse and the High Angle Driveline team are in our thoughts and prayers!

As I'm sure you can guess, the wildfires are impacting our KOH schedule and we simply hope everyone stays safe in CA. By the time KOH comes along, I hope and pray all of this is far behind us!

Stay tuned for an update soon.

My sincere apologies for the lack of consistent responses - you'll find out why I stopped giving updates on this phase of the build here soon.

Here are a few small ones:
1) I'm now almost 100% done purchasing things for KOH 2019! I'm now waiting for a few Black Friday things to arrive so I can include pics of the FINAL purchases. Wyatt's garage is packed full of all of the stuff we'll need for the pits that I had shipped straight to CA. Special thanks to Wyatt for allowing me to store tons of parts at your place!

2) KOH 2019 Registration Fees are PAID. It definitely hurt the bank account - fees, insurance, and trackers aren't cheap. I'm still waiting on confirmation for our race number that I requested.

3) Icon is almost done with the Front Coilovers, Rear Shocks, and Rear Coils. Wyatt has been orchestrating this part of the build and we are so thankful for Icon's support! More to come here.

As mentioned, we did get slowed down by a few shops that are doing specialty work for Marlin in CA having their timelines pushed out. BigMike and Wyatt (the final 2 shops working on this build) are in constant communication with each other on the build and timeline and both still feel really good about everything.

Once BigMike is done with his work in the next 2-weeks, the truck will go to RockSolidToys sometime right around Dec 7th. Wyatt and team can do the Atlas II, rear suspension, etc in their sleep. The cage will be the final big piece of the puzzle that'll also be done at Wyatt's shop by a specialty cage builder called Otwell Welding and Fabrication who Wyatt highly recommended. Unfortunately Wyatt's timeline has been compressed a little due to the delays, but he has promised to get it done.

I hope to still have a full month (Jan) left for tuning and testing. More updates and pics coming soon.

More good news! Given prior racer comments about using ALL synthetic recovery gear on the rig to keep weight down, I reached out to Bubba Rope a few weeks ago and this morning they agreed to sponsor us. So we're already adding another logo to the wrap as we speak!

We'll be using the Bubba Rope 20' or 30' Power Stretch recovery rope:
https://www.bubbarope.com/jeeps-and-trucks/bubba-rope-30-foot

And also the Bubba Rope Gator-Jay PRO Synthetic Shackles:
https://www.bubbarope.com/gator-jaws-synthetic-shackles/gator-jaw-pro-synthetic-shackle

Thanks again for Bubba Rope for being a part of this build!

Our tires and wheels have arrived. As mentioned, we're running 35" Cooper STT Pros on 17" KMC XD222 Enduro Beadlocks. Can't wait to see how this combination performs at KOH.

Cooper STT Pros (Set 1 of 2):
46792872_463157020874910_1860437162403561472_n.jpg

47045894_463157057541573_3003034484753825792_n.jpg

KMC Beadlocks:
46846535_463160487541230_7639750069343748096_n.jpg

46797602_463160524207893_7518380525556334592_n.jpg

46863421_463160570874555_3889932690073321472_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom