SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone have any tips/tricks for driveshaft lubing with Budbuilt skids installed? Removing/reinstallation is what I've been going with, but I'd rather work smarter if it's conceivable.

Anyone have any tips/tricks for driveshaft lubing with Budbuilt skids installed? Removing/reinstallation is what I've been going with, but I'd rather work smarter if it's conceivable.
I haven't found a way to lube the front driveshaft without removing my budbuilt skids.

I use a motorcycle jack to lift things like skid plates. It makes it pretty easy.

1668462979151.png

Does anyone else rear AC controls stay lit? Or is this related to my water getting somewhere and causing electrical gremlins?

EFE0A260-418D-4DCD-9840-1FDB33ABB623.jpeg

I haven't tried it, but I have a transmission jack from Harbor Freight that is on wheels and is like a foot square that has a scissor type lifting mechanism. Smaller footprint and might work the same way. I'll have to give it a try next time I drop the skids. The 3/16 stainless skids are HEAVY!! It worked on several heavy transmission projects on rear engine sports cars so I know it has usable weight capacity.

Last edited:
Does anyone else rear AC controls stay lit? Or is this related to my water getting somewhere and causing electrical gremlins?

View attachment 3168354
I haven’t noticed mine being lit. I can double check later this evening. So is yours lit whenever the vehicle is on ?

I have the front and engine skids, and I had no trouble lubing the shafts the other day after installing the Cat protection plates.

On the rare occasion I have to drop that really heavy and awkward SS engine skid, I made a jig for my floor jack out of scrap lumber.

I have the front and engine skids, and I had no trouble lubing the shafts the other day after installing the Cat protection plates.

On the rare occasion I have to drop that really heavy and awkward SS engine skid, I made a jig for my floor jack out of scrap lumber.
That's an upside to the cat protection setup compared to a full skid setup then.

I have full budbuilt skid (not cat protection plates) protection front to back, and while it creates amazing protection, it does limit access to some components for service. Nobody asked, but the full coverage protection is totally worth the minor tradeoff in service time and effort to me. It has saved me untold damage to underbody components while driving offroad.

I just asked this elsewhere but it maybe a SQOD situation.

Has anyone thought about harvesting the leather from their unused 3rd row seats? I was thinking of using some to redo my drives seat / the worn bolsters.

Is this a dumb / expensive mistake?

I just asked this elsewhere but it maybe a SQOD situation.

Has anyone thought about harvesting the leather from their unused 3rd row seats? I was thinking of using some to redo my drives seat / the worn bolsters.

Is this a dumb / expensive mistake?
Only you can answer that question.

I’ve thought about sabotaging them and having custom thigh-extenders made for the front seats.

Any upholstery shop should be able to get you matching leather without the hassle.

Even stock, there's a variety of fabrics used. Real leather in high touch and wear surfaces. And vinyl. I'd wager the 3rd row is mostly vinyl.

View attachment 3168354
The display is lit when the ignition is on and the buttons are illuminated when the headlights are turned on. Here are two images one with the headlights off and then with the headlights on.

CBF69E77-C662-486F-B782-5954B6F527E9.jpeg

7069278D-8E36-4282-88D4-530335ED5C47.jpeg

The display is lit when the ignition is on and the buttons are illuminated when the headlights are turned on. Here are two images one with the headlights off and then with the headlights on.

View attachment 3170267

View attachment 3170268
thank you @TLC2013 . Mine is definitely related to water gremlin issues. My truck does not like water puddles / crossings. Normal heavy rain or snow doesn't seem to trigger the issue. Every time I try to dig deep into it. It self corrects, I did not find signs of water inside anywhere. lucky it was only 1 day this last time. Incase anyone has had similar issues. The symptoms are = the truck beeps when you exit( turned off) wont allow to lock, like if you left a key inside. this rear AC display is lit with zero graphics showing, the PCS check system is displayed on the message center (while running), and the battery gets drained overnight.

thank you @TLC2013 . Mine is definitely related to water gremlin issues. My truck does not like water puddles / crossings. Normal heavy rain or snow doesn't seem to trigger the issue. Every time I try to dig deep into it. It self corrects, I did not find signs of water inside anywhere. lucky it was only 1 day this last time. Incase anyone has had similar issues. The symptoms are = the truck beeps when you exit( turned off) wont allow to lock, like if you left a key inside. this rear AC display is lit with zero graphics showing, the PCS check system is displayed on the message center (while running), and the battery gets drained overnight.
Happy to help, but Yikes @DJCloz you have quite the mess on your hands, bummer sorry to hear…. stories like this is why I am hesitant to install a roof rack for fear of water intrusion leading to theses types of electrical gremlins. Wish I could be of more help, best of luck.

Happy to help, but Yikes @DJCloz you have quite the mess on your hands, bummer sorry to hear…. stories like this is why I am hesitant to install a roof rack for fear of water intrusion leading to theses types of electrical gremlins. Wish I could be of more help, best of luck.
I get you, I really think my issue is with water coming into some electrical components from the underside. Last time I had this issue in September I pulled off my roof rack, zero signs of water intrusion there. I also checked my sun roof drains, they work just fine. I silicone a possible intrusion location @ the snorkel A pillar, but idk. I will figure it out sooner or later.

View attachment 3170267

View attachment 3170268

Looks like you are missing knobs. These worked on my 2011 and look exactly the same as the OEM knobs. Took about 2 weeks to come in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom